Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2016, 05:43 PM   #23221
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I feel your pain!
Yep, but that's not helping me any.

The only thing I'm more burned out on than squirrels is politics.....and we have only begun. I can't imagine anyone wanting more here when we are deluged with it now 24/7.

I'm sorta burned out on these doves too...I shoot two or three a day and could shoot a hundred. I can't seem to stop...maybe I am compulsive/obsessive? I know I need help, but no one offers to help me.....they just tell me I need to shave.

Regards!

02-06-2016, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #23222
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Was too busy fixing dinner to think about the livE hociR.
Smoked beef kielbasa, salad with bacon-bits and extra crispy fries...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-06-2016, 06:28 PM   #23223
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Oh, jeepers! My aching arteries!
02-06-2016, 07:06 PM   #23224
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Oh, jeepers! My aching arteries!
At ease. Just did 12 miles of roller skiing that burned off all that and then some

02-06-2016, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #23225
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Smoked beef kielbasa, salad with bacon-bits and extra crispy fries.
That's not healthy...no calcium...wrap that beef in a couple of slices of Velveeta and you have a healthy meal with your necessary daily calcium. It will taste better too.....and you can double the serving since Velveeta makes it healthy!
02-06-2016, 09:28 PM - 1 Like   #23226
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
That's not healthy...no calcium...
Appreciate your concern sir. I had my calcium at lunch, 2 slices of Finlandia Swiss with my wasa-usa.com/products/crispbread/hearty/
02-06-2016, 09:29 PM - 1 Like   #23227
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I used to ascribe to the myth of the "American melting pot." Granted some aspects of American culture, speech, etc are a blend or amalgam, but the truth is we are really a "crazy quilt." People tend to cling to their own traditions, heritage, church, diet, holidays, even language, so there are enclaves characterized as Italian, or Irish, or Polish, or Scandinavian, etc. etc. There's a very insightful (IMHO) analysis of the USA that suggests we are about nine different major cultures, one in New England, one in the Southeastern "Old Confederacy," another in Appalachia, another in the interior West ("Cowboy country"), etc. The current presidential election cycle should put a pin in the bubble of the "melting pot" theory.

The regional enclaves used to be much more distinct. Over the last 30 years or so people have moved across the boundaries in search of the American Dream. As they have settled far from 'home', their customs and habits have become diluted, modified, blended, with those of the people in the areas they have migrated to.

Add to that the influx of yet even more people from just about every corner of the globe, also chasing the American Dream.

Lots and lots of dilution.

02-07-2016, 01:45 AM   #23228
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Well the US is the Melting Pot. Ever since the Europeans and British began exploring and settling here the language has been evolving. What those who complain fail to see is the influence of not just every English speaking culture from around the world, but the influence of all the other cultures and languages that comprise this Great Land.
I am not making a political comment, but rather a personal observation, based on knowing many US friends.

Although American culture may be what it is as a result of the 'melting pot' it seems like the metal has already been poured out and set in the mould. I find that many of my American friends have trouble understanding that people in other places really do do things differently and adapting themselves when travelling overseas. For example, one was most concerned that a formal dinner in France was not going to start at 6pm - it was planned for 8pm start, and the gap between courses was long enough to have eaten a whole dinner. Without compromise to one's own values one can live by "When in Rome, live like ..." except when avoiding a matter of moral or ethical concern.

---------- Post added 02-07-16 at 07:28 PM ----------

The regional enclaves used to be much more distinct. Over the last 30 years or so people have moved across the boundaries in search of the American Dream. As they have settled far from 'home', their customs and habits have become diluted, modified, blended, with those of the people in the areas they have migrated to.

Add to that the influx of yet even more people from just about every corner of the globe, also chasing the American Dream.

Lots and lots of dilution.
I have also noticed that sameness across America. Most of my visits have been to major events and I have noticed that most of the city areas look visually very similar. The modern architecture does not seem to be a practical response to the local climate and conditions but rather additional rolling out of standard designs and the hotels seem to be all the same, so my response is "I am at a place called ..." because there is not really the variation between places like there is in many other countries.

Oh, and I was in LA last week. From news on TV it seemed that only one thing happened in America. And other times I have been there it seemed like only one thing happened, such as a hurricane in Florida, or a news helicopter crashing. Surely more important things happen in America than just one each week, let alone the possibility that something important might happen in another country, but that is a whole different matter.
02-07-2016, 02:41 AM   #23229
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Oh, and I was in LA last week. From news on TV it seemed that only one thing happened in America. And other times I have been there it seemed like only one thing happened, such as a hurricane in Florida, or a news helicopter crashing. Surely more important things happen in America than just one each week, let alone the possibility that something important might happen in another country, but that is a whole different matter.

Yes, the mainstream news media seems to have developed myopia or something. Sensationalism sells.

We rarely get good, thorough, and comprehensive news. Aside from local bits, one or two national stories, and the occasional world bit. Any time something really bad happens the Bubble Headed Bleach Blond comes on and beats the story into the ground. They will go over, and over, and over, and over the same 45 seconds of information.

All freaking' day.

I rarely tune in.
02-07-2016, 02:50 AM   #23230
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

We must have something in common. M & I just put together and ate a home-made pizza (tomato sauce, onion, yellow bell pepper, mild Italian spiced chicken sausage, four-cheese Italian mix, on a beer-bread crust), Maybe there's something in Norwegians that wants pizza on Saturday.
Pizza is a typical Saturday dish over here. B and I usually make pizza on Fridays, though. This week we had some leftover lamb meatballs from a tapas dinner, and used them for a pasta dish on Friday. Which meant postponing the pizza to Saturday.
02-07-2016, 02:58 AM   #23231
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

They will go over, and over, and over, and over the same 45 seconds of information.

All freaking' day.
All freakin' week, too.

I can see that sensationalism sells, but I can't see how beating a story to pulp and then some sells. I get sick and tired of the "news" after hearing/seeing it for the third time. That's not a good way to sell anything, is it.

Another thing I struggle with is the CNN way of presenting a 5 second teaser ending with "more about this after the break". Then after the break they just run the same friggin' teaser again.

Well, at least they used to do that. I haven't tuned in there for years.
02-07-2016, 04:18 AM   #23232
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Meh. I'm turning off the television at 4:30. I'm sure I'll see the highlights 17 times tomorrow and the commercials are all on YouTube already.

Change of plans. we need quick 'n easy next week so mrs. monochrome asked for some sort of casserole dish.

Easy Peasy Lasagna this afternoon

Burger
Sausage
Cottage Cheese
Mozarella
Parmesan
Noodles
Spices

Oven to plate. Extra squares in storage containers.

OK, some cheese. No hociR

Last edited by monochrome; 02-07-2016 at 11:52 AM.
02-07-2016, 04:24 AM   #23233
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
OK, some cheese. No hociR.
I know. That thing is completely useless for grating cheese. What were they thinking?
02-07-2016, 06:14 AM   #23234
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Let me restate that this thread will not turn to politics.
One post deleted.
Anyone else think I'm bluffing?
02-07-2016, 06:45 AM   #23235
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Time to get this thread back on important matters.
Like bacon and cheese.