Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2016, 07:12 AM   #23356
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not enhancers Rupert, emulsifiers.... stuff to make normally solid cheese so that it spreads. You can try and spin that however you want, but they are still just the equivalent of paint thinners. If you need "enhancers in your cheese... it's because you don't really like cheese. You like enhancers. The cheese is just an excuse to get the enhancers. You shouldn't be calling yourself a cheese lover you should be calling yourself an "enhancer lover". Without the cheese the FDA won't even let people call the enhancers food, no matter how tasty you make them.

... the enhancers are much cheaper than the cheese, it's just a way to sell less cheese for more money. After all you can't sell sodium or potassium phosphate, tartrate, or citrate to people/ They won't eat it. But add a bit of cheese to it and voila, people pay good money for it and eat it too.

You're not enhancing the cheese, the cheese is enhancing the chemicals.

Just a spoonful of cheddar helps the chemical go down.

Saying Velveeta lovers like cheese i like saying Americans like beer. If you have to dilute it so it tastes like water, do you really like it?

Last edited by normhead; 02-09-2016 at 07:40 AM.
02-09-2016, 07:21 AM   #23357
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Not to spoil your daydreaming, but this is Leap Year, so tack another day on February.
Are you trying to push him over the edge????
02-09-2016, 07:24 AM   #23358
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
....when you already have the answers but refuse to accept them because it is February................
I think you'll find that's true for most all of us with regard to most stressors.
02-09-2016, 07:26 AM   #23359
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Are you trying to push him over the edge????
Pretty sure that ship has already sailed.

02-09-2016, 08:26 AM - 3 Likes   #23360
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've haven't been that active on this forum lately, but seeing the amount of attention so called cheeses like Velveeta are getting, I felt I had to do something to even up things a bit. So I travelled from my small town to the city to my favorite cheese shop with my camera and arrived back home with some pictures of real cheese!

1. Small cheese with stuff in it

2. Big cheese without stuff in it

3. If this falls on your head, you are in trouble cheese
02-09-2016, 08:43 AM   #23361
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You're not enhancing the cheese, the cheese is enhancing the chemicals.
Norm, what you are saying is that we need to take the alcohol out of beer, wine, and other spirits because it is only an enhancer? Let's see how many votes that will get you?

I think you are just angry because I awakened you to the fact you have been getting cheated all these years with crooked cheese sellers that have shorted you those fantastic enhancers. Go down and get yourself a few boxes of Velveeta and start making up for your loss. You will love the delicious creamy flavor and as a side benefit, squirrels love to eat the boxes.

Regards!
02-09-2016, 08:50 AM   #23362
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Go down and get yourself a few boxes of Velveeta and start making up for your loss.
I think it would be particularly useful if you're building a log cabin. It should be great for chinking.

02-09-2016, 09:03 AM   #23363
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I think it would be particularly useful if you're building a log cabin. It should be great for chinking.
Pass that along to Kraft.....it's an idea that might get you a few free boxes of the delicious enhanced real cheese flavor you are missing in your life.
It would also guarantee you would keep squirrels out of your cabin.

Maybe it is time I play that recording.........

Regards!

Forgot! Norm, before you head to the store for that Velveeta, let me send you some coupons that will save you a few dollars. Once addicted, you will need all the help you can get to keep it well stocked. Fortunately, the shelf life is 100 years, plus or minus a year or two. Bet your cheese can't do that!
02-09-2016, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #23364
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The extra stuff in beer is a God-given, natural by-product of mixing normal stuff together and cooking it. Barley, hops, yeast, water - sort of like peppers, vinegar and salt.

The extra stuff in Velveeta is just extra stuff. God didn't make it. Mother Nature didn't make it. Somebody dumped it in the vat and stirred it up.
02-09-2016, 09:09 AM   #23365
Pentaxian

Norm, what you are saying is that we need to take the alcohol out of beer, wine, and other spirits because it is only an enhancer? Let's see how many votes that will get you?)
As you'll note, that's what you Americans do. Or as we say up here.
" If the beer is too strong for you, get the heck out out of Canada. "

You've got this all backwards.
Alcohol isn't the enhancer, alcohol is the product.

I think you are just angry because I awakened you to the fact you have been getting cheated all these years with crooked cheese sellers that have shorted you those fantastic enhancers. Go down and get yourself a few boxes of Velveeta and start making up for your loss. You will love the delicious creamy flavor and as a side benefit, squirrels love to eat the boxes.

Regards!
And I think you've deluded yourself into thinking fillers are enhancers. Fillers are just cheap stuff you add to the good stuff. You take advantage of the superior taste and nutrition of the good stuff by thinning it out with tasteless, nutrient weak, fillers. It's like adding water to beer.

There is nothing in a Velveeta bottle that compares in any way to an aged cheddar. In fact, I'm starting to wonder if you ever tasted a properly aged cheese. I'm starting to think this whole conversation is based on the fact that I lived for 9 years within 5 mile of a world famous cheese factory, you must have lived near a small corner grocery or something. It's all about we've learned to think is "acceptable."

While you might think Vleveeta is more a "common man" kind of thing, and therefore socially preferred, there are great numbers of us for whom, Velveeta is as un-acceptable for us, than an aged Balderson Cheddar is to you. For us, Velveeta is imitation cheese. It's not the real thing, and that's what the label says. It's not cheese, it's "Cheese Spread."
02-09-2016, 09:29 AM   #23366
Veteran Member

Mr Mod, get you're hot sauce drinkin' butt in here!
Food Fight in progress!
02-09-2016, 09:43 AM   #23367
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

RE: Common Man: In Cheddar, a typical ploughman's lunch was two thick slices of bread, some pickled vegetable jam (Chutney) and a slab of yellow cheese. The cheese was made yellow by adding dried, ground carrot. Mankind has refined dried, ground carrot into the additive Carrotene, which is also used on Cheetos and Cheez-Its.
02-09-2016, 09:46 AM   #23368
Veteran Member

Alcohol isn't the enhancer, alcohol is the product.
Well, you've already admitted that Velveeta is 51% real cheese.....your beer up there 51% real alcohol? If not, why are you drinkin' it? Down here we have some mighty fine moonshine with only 2% fillers,none of that watered down stuff you drink.

Just one more question Norm....you ever been slapped upside the head with a 2 pound slab of Velveeta? I don't know if you're into that sort of stuff or not...but I think you'd like it!

Regards!

---------- Post added 02-09-16 at 10:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Mr Mod, get you're hot sauce drinkin' butt in here!
Food Fight in progress!
Norm hit me first!

---------- Post added 02-09-16 at 10:50 AM ----------

While you might think Vleveeta is more a "common man" kind of thing
I resent that Norm....anyone that knows me knows of my sophistication and stately code of dress and conduct. I'm as uncommon as they come.
02-09-2016, 10:13 AM   #23369
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
I've haven't been that active on this forum lately, but seeing the amount of attention so called cheeses like Velveeta are getting, I felt I had to do something to even up things a bit. So I travelled from my small town to the city to my favorite cheese shop with my camera and arrived back home with some pictures of real cheese!

1. Small cheese with stuff in it
2. Big cheese without stuff in it
3. If this falls on your head, you are in trouble cheese
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ...
02-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #23370
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ...
Uncork a bottle of that fine shoe polish and you have a meal fit for......????

Yep, I'm goin' class warfare. Food and wine snobs have hit my hot button!