Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2016, 01:53 PM - 2 Likes   #23386
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
If you ever visit Europa I advice you to take some with you.
I believe hazardous materials are banned from commercial airlines.

02-09-2016, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #23387
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Like old Norm, he wants people to think he's better than me with his fancy cheese.
Cheddar? Fancy cheese? I got 8 words for you.

Roquefort
Camembert
Cotija
Emmental
Gouda (Goody goody, we've got gouda)
Talego
Parmiguana-Reggiano
And Menchego.

I've never heard of most of them, but I hear they are fancy. (Ok I admit, once or twice a year I might have a gouda, a camembert or an Emmatal.)
I'm not sure how I get lumped into the term "Cheese snobs". All I insist on is that it actually be cheese. Is that too much to ask?
02-09-2016, 01:57 PM - 2 Likes   #23388
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Well......what are you gonna do about Norm's vicious attacks on my character?
Character? What... Umm, I mean... My eenglish ees knot very good, butt... You can have character, or you can be one, right?

02-09-2016, 02:02 PM   #23389
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Mmmm, then I would not advice Rupert to travel to Europe. I don't think we are ready for him and the combination of Velveeta withdrawal symptoms.

02-09-2016, 02:04 PM   #23390
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think we are ready for him and the combination of Velveeta withdrawal symptoms.
Yeah, I have to think that it wouldn't be pretty.
02-09-2016, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #23391
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Norm, what you are saying is that we need to take the alcohol out of beer, wine, and other spirits because it is only an enhancer? Let's see how many votes that will get you?

I think you are just angry because I awakened you to the fact you have been getting cheated all these years with crooked cheese sellers that have shorted you those fantastic enhancers. Go down and get yourself a few boxes of Velveeta and start making up for your loss. You will love the delicious creamy flavor and as a side benefit, squirrels love to eat the boxes.

Regards!
Rupert the alcohol is a fundamental part of those imbibables. Taking the alcohol out makes them cease to be what they are.
02-09-2016, 02:08 PM   #23392
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We do have Aldis over here, but somehow Veelveta never made it to my country... So, I don't eat Velveeta! If you ever visit Europa I advice you to take some with you. It just isn't available in regular stores.
When I was young, selling dairy foods for a Minnesota Farmer-Owned Co-Op, Aldi didn't have Velveeta in its USA stores either. Velveeta was a premium pasteurized process cheese and in this market at the time Aldi was the low-price leader.

Don't know about now.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-09-2016 at 02:13 PM.
02-09-2016, 02:31 PM   #23393
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
When I was young, selling dairy foods for a Minnesota Farmer-Owned Co-Op, Aldi didn't have Velveeta in its USA stores either. Velveeta was a premium pasteurized process cheese and in this market at the time Aldi was the low-price leader.

Don't know about now.
Low price is still the main strategy of Aldi. "High quality, low price", is the marketing slogan they are using. The only place I encounter Velveeta is here! I suppose there are some army bases in Europe you can get it. The US does go to great lengths to provide their soldiers with as much from home as possible I witnessed about 14 years ago in Kabul (Afghanistan).
02-09-2016, 02:52 PM   #23394
Pentaxian

Just to let you know what's coming, this weekend is family day weekend. My friend Lisa will probably bring a Gouda, an Emmental and a Camembert, and some put crackers in the middle of the island counter. And everyone will stand around and slice cheese with Tess' new knife and put it on a cracker. Now my mother said "Always at least try something, if you don't like it you don't have to take seconds.), so I will dutifully, keeping my mothers words in mind, try each one of them. Then I will probably have seconds of at least one of them, but there will be no Velveeta on the table. If that makes me a cheese snob then so be it.

Tess points out our friend Chris will bring Blue Cheese and a Bree.

But just for old Rupert's edification I'm thinking of interviewing Lisa using the video function on my K-3, and have her explain that she regularly eats at least 15 types of cheese, and that still doesn't make her a cheese snob.

My reputation hath been severely impugned ( or is that harpooned?) anyway, something like that. If I my having eaten 5 different cheeses in the last year makes me (in Rupert's eyes) a cheese snob, then I completely understand how a similar type of person could think Velveeta is cheese. I mean it does have cheese in it ( but then so do cheese sandwiches and cheese Soufflé and cheese omelettes, pizzas and a bazillion other things that have a bit of cheese in them. It's called Velveeta for a reason, because legally they can't call it cheese. In this some case, I choose to be a law abiding citizen... when it suits me...

I rest my case.
02-09-2016, 02:57 PM   #23395
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And everyone will stand around and slice cheese with Tess' new knife
That reminds me................
I had some Amazon gift cards so I decided to splurge on something I wouldn't normally buy. I love knives. I bought one of these:
Amazon.com: Shun DM0741 Classic U2 (Ultimate Utility) Knife: Kitchen Utility Knives: Kitchen & Dining

Quite a splurge considering I do virtually none of the cooking.
02-09-2016, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #23396
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looks like I missed the cheese fight.
You think velveeta is bad? Try dog flavored cheese sauce!
02-09-2016, 03:14 PM   #23397
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Rupert the alcohol is a fundamental part of those imbibables. Taking the alcohol out makes them cease to be what they are.
Like taking the enhancers out of Velveeta.....it wouldn't be Velveeta, it would be that stuff you guys eat.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm not sure how I get lumped into the term "Cheese snobs".
Own it Norm, You started the assault on my Velveeta. Before you came along everyone here loved Velveeta.

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Character? What... Umm, I mean... My eenglish ees knot very good, butt... You can have character, or you can be one, right?
You siding in with Norm? That's disgraceful, I'm old and have two bad feet...in Texas you could be arrested for that kind of harassment. (Or most anything else too!)

Low price is still the main strategy of Aldi. "High quality, low price"
Love Aldis! Great food, great prices, cute checker girls. No nonsense grocery buying!

Yeah, I have to think that it wouldn't be pretty.
It would be yellow......

Just got back from Aldis......I practice what I preach. A shopper lady told me the Cheese Melt is just as good as Velveeta...and by golly I looked at the enhancements on the label and it just may be! I'll try it...if squirrels won't touch it, then it is just as good as Velveeta.sq2

I'm in heaven!
View Picture EXIF
Name:  DSCF9749-800.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  559.2 KB

BTW- That Cheese Melt doesn't say a word about cheese as an ingredient, but it does have locust bean gum in it.....that's gotta be rich in nutrients and flavanoids. Some other stuff in it will require a chemical engineer to decipher, but I bet it is all just a valuable to a healthy diet. Learned something too....I never knew locusts chewed gum! Shopping Aldis is educational!

Regards!
02-09-2016, 03:16 PM   #23398
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

and this is moderating?
I would hate to see you throwing fuel on the fire!
02-09-2016, 03:16 PM   #23399
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just for fun, can you tell which is cheddar, which is colby, and which is Velveeta? Without making any claims as to which is more or less heathly, there's one thing that jumps out and tells me what the primary not-cheese ingredient of Velveeta is.

(I also looked at "American" cheese, but it was all over the place, depending on who made it.)
Attached Images

02-09-2016, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #23400
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I would hate to see you throwing fuel on the fire!
I could throw some Velveeta on the fire, but I'm not 100% certain it isn't explosive. Even if it isn't, I'd be afraid of the resultant toxic fumes.