Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2016, 09:03 AM   #23461
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
No real fascination with guns here, I just see them as a tool like my circular saw, table saw, drills etc. Far less used than my working tools and too expensive to collect and have sit around gathering dust. I have no problem with gun owners...or stamp collectors. There is only one gun I might want to acquire.....and over/under Italian shotgun a friend of mine owns. It is a true work of art. I once offered him $10K and he's still laughing......

Anyone have an over/under shotgun you admire? Some beautiful shotguns here!
Shotguns Archive - Caesar Guerini USA

Regards!
Several times when I was young I visited Abercrombie & Fitch in NYC. I spent a little time on the gun floor admiring many one-of-a-kind multiple-barrel guns imported from Europe, mostly Germany. Many double barrels, side-by-side and over-under, but also many triple barrels: two twenty or twelve gauge over a 22 or 30-06 rifle barrel, or many other combinations especially for the rifle. Most of them had beautiful engravings on the metal, but also the stocks, and many also had gold-inlay to accent the filigree and hunting scenes . Price? Most who purchased wouldn't bother asking.

02-11-2016, 10:06 AM   #23462
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Most of them had beautiful engravings on the metal, but also the stocks, and many also had gold-inlay to accent the filigree and hunting scenes . Price? Most who purchased wouldn't bother asking.
Yep, some are true works of art, very fine art. I'll never be able to afford many of them, but I'd still ask the price. My Mom asks the price on everything and she has all those gas wells and her stock broker sends her a dozen roses once a month...every month. No harm in asking....sometimes you can get a bargain . She called me last week thrilled that she got a new pair of flats for 1/2 half price just because she complained they were too expensive.

Someday I want to own a nice over/under..it's not a priority, but I'd like to have one to leave to my oldest grandson.

Regards!
02-11-2016, 11:40 AM   #23463
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That goes back a while. When I was the Town Marshal (seriously) of New Underwood for a while in the late 70s I carried a 2 3/4" Speed-Six, a fixed sight, round butt variant of the Security Six.
The Security Six was replaced by the GP100 in 1984-85 (ish).

We should call you Marshal Dillon.

02-11-2016, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #23464
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
post number 23456

02-11-2016, 01:09 PM   #23465
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
X
Waaa, German number plate!
02-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #23466
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The firearm I want is a wheel-lock "puffer pistol", from the days when manly-men wore lace, pistols were a foot and half long and were covered in ivory inlay, and as you charged towards the enemy line, you never really knew if it would fire or just blow your hand off.

Last edited by THoog; 02-11-2016 at 01:33 PM.
02-11-2016, 01:33 PM   #23467
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Originally posted by robtcorl Quote
post number 23456
Name:  PW.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  21.3 KB

Like Otis says...if they are cuties, you gotta love 'em!

02-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #23468
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yep, some are true works of art, very fine art. I'll never be able to afford many of them, but I'd still ask the price. My Mom asks the price on everything and she has all those gas wells and her stock broker sends her a dozen roses once a month...every month. No harm in asking....sometimes you can get a bargain . She called me last week thrilled that she got a new pair of flats for 1/2 half price just because she complained they were too expensive.

Someday I want to own a nice over/under..it's not a priority, but I'd like to have one to leave to my oldest grandson.

Regards!
Interesting that the designs in the metal are somewhat similar to the ornamented suits of armour in the Tower, such as Henry VIII's later suit.
02-11-2016, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #23469
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Interesting that the designs in the metal are somewhat similar to the ornamented suits of armour in the Tower, such as Henry VIII's later suit.
Floral motifs have been popular for arms and armour for almost six hundred years.

When a canny antique dealer in the 19th century made a bunch of forgeries (actually, he had about a dozen suits of armour made, each with one piece from the original pattern, making them all "restorations" instead of replicas), his artists copied etching designs from antique pattern books, not realizing that some of the 'hand' designs they used were actually rude gestures. They should have stuck to flowers.

Totally metal! (this is one of the tamer hands):
02-11-2016, 04:51 PM   #23470
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I feel much safer here than I ever did in South Africa
That's because they only get riled up over Rugby where you're at! And that doesn't usually lead to robbery or violence!

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
My brother had/has an old 22 rifle that takes only shorts.
CCI makes a good 22 short with a 36 grain round nose bullet.

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Unless foils and a sabre count.
All weapons count! I have a friend with a Batleth! And my daughter has a Taurus 38 special and a machete!
02-11-2016, 04:55 PM   #23471
Veteran Member

Won't fit in my sock....
Nice!!

I also have a Mini 14,
Always like the classic look of the Mini 14. Just as deadly as the AR platform but better looking!
02-11-2016, 05:09 PM   #23472
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Nice!!
If you think it's nice in a photo, you should see that bottom one in hand.
02-11-2016, 05:14 PM   #23473
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
All weapons count! I
Darn right! My SWIX Roller-lite carbide tipped ski poles could do some damage.
Agree on the Mini 14 looks. Ended up with a Valmet M76 folding stock (call me biased)
02-11-2016, 05:41 PM   #23474
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This isn't as interesting as #23456...
02-11-2016, 05:42 PM   #23475
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

...but the Alphabet thread's lead is down to 1,000 posts.