Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2016, 07:07 PM   #23626
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Right now I'm sitting here typing an e-mail to my cousin and his fiancée explaining that due to my studies I
Can't work out some deal with the school ahead of time?
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
THAT'S why Rupert carries on about it! He is paid to advertise it!
How do you think he keeps all those squirrels in nuts??

02-15-2016, 09:44 PM   #23627
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
How do you think he keeps all those squirrels in nuts??
Squirrels have their own nuts, I just offer supplements.

---------- Post added 02-15-16 at 10:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Bacon, biscuits, scrambled eggs with that melted Clancy's Cheese and blueberry waffles....peppered gravy for the biscuits...damn, makes me hungrier than I already am!
Gotta love a plan that comes together...it did tonight!

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Speaking of biscuits. ..
I love biscuits. One of my cats does too, particularly Pillsbury Grands.
Last night we had some Pillsbury Grands blueberry biscuits. Delicious!
Those used to be my favs too...until I found Aldis Big Flaky Biscuits......best I have ever eaten that weren't from scratch.....and most that were from scratch. Only.99 cents for 8 big uns! I keep two cans on hand at all times, in case someone drops by and is caught in a snowstorm here.

Regards!
02-15-2016, 10:31 PM   #23628
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
And a third less fat than cheddar!
Got to get me some!
I'm amused that they brag about that. Since it's only about 50% cheese, there's 50% less fat right there. The other half is: Water (no fat, duh), Whey (no fat, but plenty of lactose that cheddar doesn't have), Milk Protein Concentrate (no fat), Milkfat (there's the missing 17%!), Whey Protein Concentrate (more lactose), Sodium Phosphate (no fat, but this may be why it has about twice the sodium of cheddar), and a handful of less-than-2% stuff.
02-16-2016, 01:46 AM   #23629
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
And a third less fat than cheddar!

A third less fat means room for a third more of all that stuff we can't pronounce.

02-16-2016, 02:00 AM   #23630
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice Master Touch and GA Mark.
Sausage looks good too!
I had a Weber Ranch kettle for a few years, it was too big for my needs so I sold it, lots of fun to cook on.
Thanks Bob! Man, those ribs look tasty! The sausage is "Boerewors" which is a traditional South African sausage.
02-16-2016, 02:21 AM   #23631
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Boy does that landscape look familiar!

Waterloo, US-218, Northbound. Just crossed the Cedar River, and passed the fairgrounds.

Part of a 'shortcut' I used between I-90 in Minnesota and places like the Terex factory in Cedar Rapids, the Alcoa plant in Ravenswood, the Dreamliner factory in North Charleston, and many other customers South and East of there.

It gave a nice change of pace from running I-80, which is arguably the busiest interstate in North America.

You might also recognize this:

02-16-2016, 05:01 AM   #23632
Veteran Member

Can't work out some deal with the school ahead of time?
I will finish my BSc soon and am currently applying for MScs, the vast majority of the universities I am looking at starts in August/September. I don't even know where I will end up, so I cannot really work out a deal with anyone. Plus it would probably be a bit dodgy to apply somewhere and immediately ask whether they're fine with me skipping the first bit

02-16-2016, 05:33 AM   #23633
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Originally posted by Rupert
Bacon, biscuits, scrambled eggs with that melted Clancy's Cheese and blueberry waffles....peppered gravy for the biscuits...damn, makes me hungrier than I already am!
I've always been a big breakfast eater, so one of the first things I learned to cook as a kid was milk gravy with sausage.
Now that I'm an old man I seldom make it from scratch, so I microwave a pouch of Tennessee Pride.
It's often on sale for a buck, and to me tastes pretty darn good.
As a bonus I'm pretty sure the chemicals in it counteract the ones in Velveeta.

02-16-2016, 05:57 AM   #23634
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I'm amused that they brag about that. Since it's only about 50% cheese, there's 50% less fat right there. The other half is: Water (no fat, duh), Whey (no fat, but plenty of lactose that cheddar doesn't have), Milk Protein Concentrate (no fat), Milkfat (there's the missing 17%!), Whey Protein Concentrate (more lactose), Sodium Phosphate (no fat, but this may be why it has about twice the sodium of cheddar), and a handful of less-than-2% stuff.
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
A third less fat means room for a third more of all that stuff we can't pronounce.
I sometimes get troubled by all the attacks on Velveeta and other similar great cheesy products. Thankfully, I have Otis to console me and remind me ....."Just remember Rupert, these are people that eat Lewdfish and savor shoe polish to wash it down before it is regurgitated, how would they know anything about gourmet food?"

It's hard to argue with Otis.......so I generally don't.
02-16-2016, 07:02 AM   #23635
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
There's actually not a lot of that. There is sodium phosphate, which is an emulsifier, but most of what they add is dairy-derived. I think what they did when they were creating Velveeta was look at the composition of cheeses that melt smoothly, then added just those bits (proteins, sugars, fats) to cheddar to make it more like the melty cheeses. Whey is the liquid they press out in the cheesemaking process. Whey Protein Concentrate is made from whey. Milkfat is made from whole milk, and Milk Protein Concentrate (MPC) from skim milk.
02-16-2016, 07:12 AM   #23636
Pentaxian

There's actually not a lot of that. There is sodium phosphate, which is an emulsifier, but most of what they add is dairy-derived. I think what they did when they were creating Velveeta was look at the composition of cheeses that melt smoothly, then added just those bits (proteins, sugars, fats) to cheddar to make it more like the melty cheeses. Whey is the liquid they press out in the cheesemaking process. Whey Protein Concentrate is made from whey. Milkfat is made from whole milk, and Milk Protein Concentrate (MPC) from skim milk.
Funny , when I make a grilled cheese sandwich my cheddar melts smoothly. Velvet was designed to spread smoothly at 70 degrees. That's not a characteristic of any cheese I'm aware of, maybe someone can fill me in.
02-16-2016, 07:13 AM   #23637
Veteran Member

They must age it a little too....I've heard Lewdfish is best if "beach aged" in the hot sun for 90 days?

Tasty.....bring your own shoe polish and have a beach party!
Name:  Lewdfish.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  36.2 KB
02-16-2016, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #23638
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Funny , when I make a grilled cheese sandwich my cheddar melts smoothly. Velvet was designed to spread smoothly at 70 degrees. That's not a characteristic of any cheese I'm aware of, maybe someone can fill me in.
Velveeta has the property that if kept at room temperature it will not spoil for - well, we don't really know how long yet.
02-16-2016, 07:25 AM   #23639
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Velveeta has the property that if kept at room temperature it will not spoil for - well, we don't really know how long yet.
But not as long as an unopened package of Twinkies.
02-16-2016, 07:30 AM   #23640
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Velvet was designed to spread smoothly at 70 degrees. That's not a characteristic of any cheese I'm aware of, maybe someone can fill me in.
butterkäse cheese is as close as I've found, but it's not easy to find in my area.
50% fat content, so it's a no go for you Norm.
Butterk