Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
02-16-2016, 07:35 AM   #23641
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Velveeta has the property that if kept at room temperature it will not spoil for - well, we don't really know how long yet.
If it came in a tube, that might make it excellent back woods camping food. I'm sure you could mix it with something and it would taste OK. Jars aren't allowed in interior Algonquin.

02-16-2016, 07:58 AM   #23642
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Velveeta has the property that if kept at room temperature it will not spoil for - well, we don't really know how long yet.
That also could be said about a nice wheel of gouda, so long as the wax coating isn't broken. Velveeta does have to be refrigerated after the wrap is opened.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Funny , when I make a grilled cheese sandwich my cheddar melts smoothly. Velvet was designed to spread smoothly at 70 degrees. That's not a characteristic of any cheese I'm aware of, maybe someone can fill me in.
My experience with cheddar is that it tends to separate and get stringy and oily. The French stinky cheeses might count as "spreadable" - some claim that Brie is best when a little "runny".
02-16-2016, 08:39 AM   #23643
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
You mean the inevitable disappointment when a new Pentax camera turns out to just be a camera, instead of a ball of light and energy that defies physics and instantly makes the owner cool and sexy and the envy of every Nicanonista? Haven't we been down this road before? (with the K-3II, K-3, K-5II...)
Wait a minute! What are you trying to say here?! You're not implying that the upcoming ball of reality defying light is not going to fulfil all the very reasonable expectations expressed in the FF threads, are you?
02-16-2016, 08:45 AM   #23644
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Wait a minute! What are you trying to say here?! You're not implying that the upcoming ball of reality defying light is not going to fulfil all the very reasonable expectations expressed in the FF threads, are you?
i hang out over there. Somebody has to do it.

They made us an almost-D810. They made it for us, not CaNikonians. It is really a neat camera with a surprise yet to come (pretty big deal too).

People are already dissing it.

Sigh.

OK, you can now return to the regularly scheduled programming.

02-16-2016, 09:14 AM   #23645
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

i hang out over there. Somebody has to do it.
You... hang out there?

Ok, don't worry, we can sort this out, I'm sure.

Who did this to you?

Do they have your family?

Do they know you're secretly coveting K-3? All six of them?

Do they threaten to apply the "Velveeta treatment" to you?
02-16-2016, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #23646
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a form of penance.
02-16-2016, 10:05 AM   #23647
Pentaxian

...My experience with cheddar is that it tends to separate and get stringy and oily. The French stinky cheeses might count as "spreadable" - some claim that Brie is best when a little "runny".
A bit of ooze is really not bad here ... trust me.

02-16-2016, 10:20 AM   #23648
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
You're not implying that the upcoming ball of reality defying light is not going to fulfil all the very reasonable expectations expressed in the FF threads, are you?
People are already dissing it.

Sigh.
We do this every time. It's as predictable as the folks who look at early product photos and declare that the new body must be mirrorless or modular with swappable mounts and/or sensors. Every time, I read the posts, shake my head, and say "no, it's just a Pentax camera. It'll be similar to previous Pentax cameras. And that's a good thing."
02-16-2016, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #23649
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Too much camera talk going on here!

02-16-2016, 10:35 AM   #23650
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Too much camera talk going on here!
I'm not talking about cameras, I'm talking about unrealistic forum members who whine about cameras! Where else can I do that, if not a thread born of someone whining about a camera?

Should we start a pool for nitpicky reasons why people won't buy the K-1?
02-16-2016, 10:42 AM   #23651
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Should we start a pool for nitpicky reasons why people won't buy the K-1?
Don't you worry. Someone will!
02-16-2016, 10:58 AM   #23652
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I think it is 100 years, but can't factually verify it. I can tell you that once we were re-plumbig a house for a buyer, the house had been vacant for 17 years and boarded shut. Among the debris inside was an unopened box of Velveeta. We opened it and cut away the foil wrapping.....it looked pretty good and had no rancid odor or color. We didn't try it, but the neighborhood dogs ate it and none of them died.

---------- Post added 02-16-16 at 12:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If it came in a tube, that might make it excellent back woods camping food. I'm sure you could mix it with something and it would taste OK.
Norm, do you realize that you are inching closer to becoming a Velveeta eater? When I get up your way, I'm gonna have a couple of boxes for you, count on it!

Just saw this....your cheese have that nice "woody" flavor? Wonder no more!

The Parmesan Cheese You Sprinkle on Your Penne Could Be Wood - Yahoo Finance

Velveeta...you can trust it!

Last edited by Rupert; 02-16-2016 at 11:18 AM.
02-16-2016, 11:23 AM   #23653
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Waterloo, US-218, Northbound. Just crossed the Cedar River, and passed the fairgrounds.

Part of a 'shortcut' I used between I-90 in Minnesota and places like the Terex factory in Cedar Rapids, the Alcoa plant in Ravenswood, the Dreamliner factory in North Charleston, and many other customers South and East of there.

It gave a nice change of pace from running I-80, which is arguably the busiest interstate in North America.

You might also recognize this:

Terex, I remember their 300 ton trucks from the coal mine I worked at in 1980, where I got the money to buy my first Pentax, the MX.

---------- Post added 02-17-16 at 04:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I will finish my BSc soon and am currently applying for MScs, the vast majority of the universities I am looking at starts in August/September. I don't even know where I will end up, so I cannot really work out a deal with anyone. Plus it would probably be a bit dodgy to apply somewhere and immediately ask whether they're fine with me skipping the first bit
Sure would where I work.
02-16-2016, 11:51 AM   #23654
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Just saw this....your cheese have that nice "woody" flavor? Wonder no more!

The Parmesan Cheese You Sprinkle on Your Penne Could Be Wood - Yahoo Finance

Velveeta...you can trust it!
...so long as the Milk Protein Concentrate doesn't come from China.

(most MPC in the US is imported, but not from China... yet.)
02-16-2016, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #23655
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Russians Make The Best Truck In The Universe For $50K