Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2016, 03:48 PM   #23866
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Meanwhile, down in Texas, Jim is working hard on Squirrel Research with Otis and his Minions.

02-21-2016, 03:55 PM   #23867
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Racer, as many miles as you've driven I bet you've seen a little of everything. In my years, I've see more than enough. A haunting sight that lingers is a dense foggy Interstate west of Midland/Odessa.....came up so fast you were just "in it" before you could even slow down. I knew the stretch well and crossed the desert in the blinding fog to get to a side access road, cut my lights and got out. I was the only one there, best I could tell. I could hear the crashes, some of them horrific. About two hours later when it started to lift the things I saw over on the Interstate were unspeakable. One in particular of a woman that ran under the back of a big truck, apparently at full speed. You never want to see anything like that again.

Regards!

---------- Post added 02-21-16 at 04:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Meanwhile, down in Texas, Jim is working hard on Squirrel Research with Otis and his Minions.
It's not like that here Racer...Otis is trying to train me. He said he is going to give up on me and get something smarter....a rat maybe?
02-21-2016, 04:00 PM   #23868
Veteran Member

Wow - reminds me of videos we are occasionally shown in neuroscience, often featuring rats, parrots or crows. Some pretty intelligent fellas among them.

Ever heard of Alex, the African grey parrot?
02-21-2016, 04:00 PM   #23869
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
It's not like that here Racer...Otis is trying to train me.

When do we get to see the video of you running the obstacle course?

02-21-2016, 04:11 PM   #23870
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Ever heard of Alex, the African grey parrot?

Yes, I have.

02-21-2016, 04:17 PM   #23871
Veteran Member

Yes, I have.
Love that video. What a smart little fella. Too sad he died early for his species

Rupert, when did you meet Otis and what is his species' average life expectancy?
02-21-2016, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #23872
Veteran Member

When do we get to see the video of you running the obstacle course?
I have failed it every time Racer. The part where I have to jump through those burning tires always trips me up.

Rupert, when did you meet Otis and what is his species' average life expectancy?
That is an interesting question.....and it deserves a detailed answer.

Otis is a Fox Squirrel....in perfect conditions, as we have here in the Woods of Otis, they can live 20 years. Most don't, but it is possible. Many are executed by Otis before they get to be adults....he is very strict with his Army squirrels.

When did I meet Otis.....well, his dad was a very well known squirrel at DPR. Do a search there and type in Festus Squirrel.......you will be amazed at the numbers.

In this old thread there, I think "Baby Otis" is mentioned a few times. He was a handsome little devil and certain to take over the Army of Squirrels when his dad retired to the Caribbean, where he still lives comfortably drinking those little umbrella drinks and enjoying the naked girls on the beaches....
Re: Rupert60 memorial thread. Nothing but Skwerls!!!: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I was booted from DPR somewhere (they didn't like my squirrels) back about 10 years ago and was already one of the first Members here. so I wrote Adam and asked if my squirrels would be welcome here. In a E-mail I still have he assured me my squirrels would be welcome here, and he has been a man of his word.....maybe unfortunately for some? In actuality, I think Otis and Adam are pretty good friends....Otis is a heavy contributor here and praises Adam and his staff. I have received a few bans here over the years, but they always come with a note that says "Otis is still welcome".

So I think it is safe to say Otis has been around several years.....here is a 2009 "Baby Photo" but the was already an adolescent. You can see he was well endowed...not like his dad Festus, but above average for certain.

Festus Squirrel...Otis' dad. Damn good lookin' too!

As brief as I could make it...that's the story.....of Festus and Otis Squirrel.

Regards!

Last edited by Rupert; 02-21-2016 at 05:52 PM.
02-22-2016, 06:55 AM   #23873
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The problem with watching Russian dashcam compilations is that afterwards, when you hop in the car to go buy groceries, you spend the entire time driving with your toes curled waiting for the inevitable wreck, and hoping it won't be one where the car with the camera is involved. Then, when someone does something stupid in front of you (like an illegal U-turn in the middle of a busy 4-lane street) and DOESN'T get nailed by oncoming traffic, you feel... disappointed.
02-22-2016, 07:03 AM   #23874
Veteran Member

After reflecting on this thread at DPR...I haven't read it again since it was posted way back in 2009, I would like to once more thank the many posters that posted and the hundreds that E-mailed me after DPR kicked me off and never gave any reason whatsoever. They repeatedly denied my request asking for any post I had made that was offensive and they also denied the same request by several hundred others.
Re: Rupert60 memorial thread. Nothing but Skwerls!!!: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
I had a lot of friends there, good people, just like the good friends I have here...and many here came from DPR. To all of you here now, once again I thank you for your support back then and for your friendship and support here at PF over the years. No one is more appreciative than Otis, who has grown from a baby to a powerful leader of squirrels worldwide in his years here.

There is no one more responsible for the fame and well being of Otis than Adam, who had the fairness and foresight to allow squirrels to roam this Fantastic Forum in peace and harmony.......(mostly).

As at DPR, not everyone is a squirrel's friend, but I have to believe that this is a better place with some squirrel shots here and there than without. A little "squirrel perspective" sometimes brightens the day and may bring a smile or two......Otis does have good intentions.....most of the time....and there is not a Member here that is more loyal to Pentax.......just show Otis a "Jumper" and he will prove it every time!

Anyhow, thanks once again to all those great friends over at DPR that supported the little furry critters and all here that continue that support. Otis aims to please Pentaxians, if you need a friend, Otis is always there for you....unless you are a Jumper, of course!

Best Regards!
Rupert

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot...Otis wanted me to add this and I didn't.

Otis is damn handsome too!

(Another thread...infiltrated by squirrels)
02-22-2016, 07:15 AM   #23875
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Otis is a Fox Squirrel ...
What now?!

QuoteQuote:
I was booted from DPR somewhere (they didn't like my squirrels)
I neither understand nor have patience for such ignorance - who wouldn't want a daily dose of squirrel pictures
02-22-2016, 07:31 AM   #23876
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I presume, being used on this forum, that DPR = Digital Photography Review, however, the acronym finder lists over 50 possibilities. At first I thought it might be Department of Parks and Recreation, fearing their own squirrels would take hints from Otis.
02-22-2016, 07:34 AM   #23877
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Otis is a Fox Squirrel..
Did a fox eat Otis.... what happened?

Sometimes there's too many words in this thread.
02-22-2016, 07:37 AM   #23878
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, Fox Squirrel. The tan tummy is a giveaway:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_squirrel
02-22-2016, 07:53 AM   #23879
Veteran Member

Just read this on Wikipedia:

"Relatively few natural predators can regularly capture adult eastern fox squirrels. Of these predators, most only take eastern fox squirrels opportunistically.[4] Eastern fox squirrel predators include: bobcats (Felis rufus), foxes (Vulpes spp. and Urocyon spp.), red-tailed hawks (Buteo jamaicensis) ..."

Rupert, never invite me over! Never! I couldn't help it.
02-22-2016, 08:00 AM   #23880
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Did a fox eat Otis.... what happened?
Come on Norm! Your wishful thinking is not going to get Otis eaten by a fox...or anything else!

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Yep, Fox Squirrel. The tan tummy is a giveaway:
...and the handsome little face!

I neither understand nor have patience for such ignorance - who wouldn't want a daily dose of squirrel pictures
DPR is no place for harmony. It is run by dictators that have no sense of fairness, in particular for Pentax shooters.

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I presume, being used on this forum, that DPR = Digital Photography Review, however, the acronym finder lists over 50 possibilities. At first I thought it might be Department of Parks and Recreation, fearing their own squirrels would take hints from Otis.
I think Otis' Army already pretty much controls the parks...and they are masters of recreation......and super-masters of procreation!

Regards!

WPRESTO..Funny you should mention Parks and Wildlife. I just read this and upon further research found that the plan was submitted by an environmentalist..... "O.T. Squirrel"..........sounds familiar?
The plan, as I read it involves moving all the Rattlers from Texas up your way. Gotta love that Big Brain Thinking of Otis!
You got a shortage off Rattlers, no problem, Otis will send you all you can handle...or not handle!

Massachusetts plans rattlesnake colony on uninhabited island - Yahoo News

Last edited by Rupert; 02-22-2016 at 08:22 AM.