Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
................ I'm sure we all agree.
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Well, let's not go too far here.
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
" Ditto ! " - Blazing Saddles
Right. Let's not confuse agreement with acquiescence.
03-11-2016, 03:10 PM   #24394
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
have also noted that being tipsy I fall asleep more quickly, but my sleep is not as good. Especially in the later phases I often wake up slightly confused. Several times now I have woken up, went back to sleep, woke up again, thought it must be time to get up by now and jumped out of bed, just to find that it was 4:30 am or 5:15

This pattern is pretty consistent with the literature which claims that alcohol makes you fall asleep easier but disrupts sleep especially in its later stages, in the early morning.
I think that is probably true...I do wake up about 4-5 hours after bedtime, but usually to empty out some of the wine...or whatever. I drink a lot of liquids and all but coffee does that to me. However the wine does make me fall asleep quickly, and there is nothing worse for me than to lay there tossing and turning at bedtime. With the wine, I'm gone in no time!

Regards!

---------- Post added 03-11-16 at 04:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Well, glad that's sorted! I for one would have hated to see Rupert (and Otis) gone. I'm sure we all agree.
Most likely not "all agree" but Otis certainly appreciates your support and the support of the many others that have a taste for the antics of the little rodent...sometimes....not always. Honestly, Otis gets on my nerves quite often, but I have no choice but to live with him....I'm sure you understand?

Regards!

---------- Post added 03-11-16 at 04:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Right. Let's not confuse agreement with acquiescence.
What I said......

03-11-2016, 03:17 PM   #24395
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I have also noted that being tipsy I fall asleep more quickly, but my sleep is not as good.
That's true for me as well.

............ I often wake up slightly confused.
So is that, but it happens whether I've had anything to drink, or not.
03-11-2016, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #24396
Veteran Member

So is that, but it happens whether I've had anything to drink, or not.
Well, usually I wake up normally

But I often have the weirdest dreams. One night I dreamt my duvet was covered in spikes, so I kicked it off. I lay there, in a state of being half awake, half asleep, getting colder and colder (it was winter, mind you), starting to shiver but afraid to pull the duvet back over myself because, obviously, I believed it to be covered in spikes. Finally I delicately pulled it back with my fingertips and fell asleep again.

Just one example, many more similar ones. As a child I often had my eyes wide open for some time during sleep, which sometimes resulted in my mother almost getting a heart attack when checking on me because she thought I was dead
03-11-2016, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #24397
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

As a child I often had my eyes wide open for some time during sleep, which sometimes resulted in my mother almost getting a heart attack when checking on me because she thought I was dead
My son, as a small child, could be sitting up in bed, eyes open, and sound asleep.

03-11-2016, 04:10 PM   #24398
Veteran Member

My son, as a small child, could be sitting up in bed, eyes open, and sound asleep.
Yeah, same with me I sleep-walked, I sleep-talked (I still do, but no one understands me, apparently it's a weird language) and once when my father came into my room to get something out of a wardrobe we shared, I sat up in bed, said 'Yes, Sir, my captain!', then went back to sleep. I had been reading a novel on the Titanic at that time.
03-11-2016, 04:25 PM   #24399
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah, same with me I sleep-walked, I sleep-talked (I still do, but no one understands me, apparently it's a weird language) and once when my father came into my room to get something out of a wardrobe we shared, I sat up in bed, said 'Yes, Sir, my captain!', then went back to sleep. I had been reading a novel on the Titanic at that time.
A weird state, to be sure, FMF.

As I understand it, you weren't dreaming at the time because during REM your muscles are virtually paralyzed.

Half asleep you still probably would have done a better job than the real Titanic captain did. 😀
03-11-2016, 05:01 PM   #24400
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I was in college, one night I awoke to find one of my roommates pacing in front of other roommate's desk (I had the top bunk, so I was about eye-level).

Me: "Are you okay, Dave?"
Him: "Wrsdr?"
Me: "What?"
Him: "Wheresthdoor?"
Me: "It's over there." - pointing to hallway door.
Him: "No, I want to go OUT."
Me: "There's no door over here."
Him: (leans over desk, pats the wall a couple times, then runs across the room and jumps into bed)

He didn't believe me the next day, until he remembered that he woke up on top of the covers and wondered why.
03-11-2016, 05:46 PM   #24401
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
As I understand it, you weren't dreaming at the time because during REM your muscles are virtually paralyzed.
That depends. Sleep walking occurs during light sleep phases, with sleep-talking it is often the same, but it can occur during REM. Conversely, while most dreams happen during REM, we can also dream during NREM (non-REM).

So it is perfectly possible to dream and talk at the same time, and it would make sense, after all what would be talk about in our sleep if we weren't dreaming?
03-11-2016, 06:56 PM   #24402
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As I understood it, in true REM the brainstem turns off motor movement, which is why horses lie down for that bit. The idea presumably is that so we don't jump off the bed to get away from the monster chasing us.

Sleepwalking I thought happened in that deep delta wave sleep.

'Fleeting images' rather than full on dreams is what my Myers textbook reckoned could happen during non REM periods.

Mind you, this is from my second-year college Psychology classes, back in the Cretaceous Period. ☺
03-11-2016, 07:00 PM   #24403
Veteran Member

I'm very tempted to buy a K-3......$500 on Amazon for a brand new body.....hmmmm....worth upgrading from my k10D?
03-11-2016, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #24404
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hmirchev, you have got the wrong thread if you want photographic advice.
This thread is dominated by discussion of various foodstuffs (and a chemical composition called Velveeta), and numerous other issues (see tags below).
The fact that K3 gets a tag is curious; it must have been mentioned by the OP, although that was so long ago I don't think anyone remembers (or cares).

Actually, I alone, of all the posters herein, am willing to give a little advice: although I am not a buyer of a K3 (I have stood strong and resisted - loosely translated "I don't need one until my photographic skills rise to at least justify owing a K5"), there are plenty of Pentaxians who have upgraded from K10/K20 etc to K3 and been VERY happy with the upgrade.
I am sure that you will be also, particularly at that price.
03-11-2016, 07:11 PM   #24405
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Mind you, this is from my second-year college Psychology classes, back in the Cretaceous Period. ☺
Reminds me...I took Psych 101 many many years ago and the Prof told me I needed a lot more of it, but not in a classroom. He was most likely right on target, but...here I am 50 years later...with a talking squirrel!

My oldest son used to sleep with his eyes open...it was so weird! They would jerk and spin at times, I assumed he was dreaming. He was the soundest sleeper I have ever seen. Along with my youngest son, we played the dirtiest tricks on him, waking him up only shortly after he had gone to sleep and yelling that he was late for school, watching him get dressed in a confused state.....then laughing like crazy. Sadistic stuff. We did it many times until Mrs Rupert caught us and ended our fun.

Regards & Nighty night...me and Otis are going to drink some of that shoe polish and hit it early tonight.....and say some thanks for our friends that made this once sad day a very happy one!
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »