Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2016, 09:12 AM   #24601
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Protecting the nuts is always a good idea, from skwerlz and jays both!
I was a catcher on our school baseball teams and I can attest to this very good advice.

But, sometimes things go painfully wrong ... like a foul ball bouncing back up and backwards off home plate to hit you in the "you-know-whats" ...

03-18-2016, 09:13 AM - 2 Likes   #24602
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
But, sometimes things go painfully wrong ... like a foul ball bouncing back up and backwards off home plate to hit you in the "you-know-whats" ...
Oh swear
03-18-2016, 09:26 AM   #24603
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I was a catcher on our school baseball teams and I can attest to this very good advice.

I was a catcher for 3 years , but I don't remember ever getting hit. I did put a guy on the ground once playing tennis. Same idea. I went up to smash an overhead and mis-timed it. Instead of going deep into the corner to skip away from it's pursuers, it went almost straight down and bounced up off the court catching the guy playing net in front of me, 5 feet away. My smashes were probably in excess of 100km an hour, and i really nailed that one. It was probably closer to 150 km/hr, but no one was permanently damaged.

Play was interrupted for 20 minutes.
03-18-2016, 09:38 AM   #24604
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Covering your nuts is always a good idea, right Henry?
Hell, Henry is smarter than I realized!

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Maybe he has, too.
...and damn observant too!

That lovely bloom reminds me.....wish it didn't but here goes anyhow......

As a kid of 5-6 we lived in Dallas about a mile from Love Field in a nice neighborhood of small frame houses. I got an allowance of .25 a week.....which didn't go far....but it was worth more than what I did to earn it.. which wasn't much!

Always looking for more cash to spend at the shopping center two blocks away, I had many innovative endeavors to make some extra spending money. Me and my best friend Joe would have a big Circus and let kids swing on my big swing set, push them up and down the street in my Jeep pedal car, or pick them up in my old covered baby stroller and then deliver them back home in it after the Circus was over......all for only a dime! Wasn't unusual to have a dozen customers if it also featured a petting zoo where they could pet my pet Hamsters/Guinei pigs or touch my pet snake. We would put Joe's German Shepard in a cage and let the kids tease him to make him growl for an extra nikel.....his dog was real good at it too!

We also had .10 cent funerals when a hamster or Guinea pig died...sometimes we would bury the same one for several weeks...until my Mom put a stop to it.

But the best moneymaker of all was the flowers! Two doors down lived Ray and Ann, "old people" (about 50 at the time) and thy drove a big shiny Cadillac and kept an immaculate yard with lovely blooms and plenty of them. They were also alcoholics and drank like there was no tomorrow. I never once in all the years there saw either one of them sober. The had no kids, but loved us like we were their own. When we sold old magazines we got out of the trash in the allies, they were our best customers.

One day we were pondering over the huge number of beer cans and bottles in Ray and Ann's alley trash and wondering if there was any way to profit from case after case of empties? Joe pulled up a blooming wildflower weed and stuck it in a bottle.....our Floral Business began! We were selling beer bottle/can flowers all over the neighborhood, on the sidewalk down at the Shopping Center and anywhere our feet would carry us! We even hired extra help and started our first franchise operation.

Soon we ran out of wildflowers and began to selectively pick flowers from Ann and Rays yard...heck, they were too drunk to know they were buying their own flowers from their own beer cans! Some were lovely blooms, we could get .15 cents for a prize Rose in a Jax bottle....a quarter for a Carnation...and even more for some of the exotics!

Rolling in cash! Buying model airplanes, snow cones, soft drinks, and pocket knives galore! .....then one day my Mom was visiting a friend down the street and there on her coffee table was an exotic orchid in a Pearl bottle.....it was one of our best customers......our corporation was bankrupt, the the thievery was over, we were back to the low paying Circus.

Regards!

03-18-2016, 10:17 AM   #24605
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Noticed the 12 oz stamp, and it got me to thinking......
In the old days an eight or twelve ounce soda pop was the standard, and most of us only had one occasionally .
What size are Big Gulps etc these days?
A Big Gulp is 30 oz, a Super Big Gulp is 40, and a Double Gulp is 50. HOWEVER, the times, they are a changin' - the Double Gulp used to be 64 ounces - a half-gallon! I've noticed that bargain 3-liter sodas have pretty much disappeared from stores, and even the ubiquitous 20-oz and 2-liter plastic bottles are starting to make room for smaller versions. I also see a lot of 8-oz (instead of 12) cans now (although I think they are for children's lunches, which is probably not a good thing).

Sodas in 12-oz glass bottles are having something of a revival, thanks to the cane-sugar-only crowd. I can find a "Mexican" 12-oz Coke in a glass bottle almost anywhere these days. I haven't seen a cane-sugar-glass-bottle Dr. Pepper in NC yet, but some bottler in Virginia is making them. (I know I know 'way too much about this, but since I'm a teetotaler, all the brain power that y'all put into good beer, wine, and whisky, I get to put into soft drinks. I don't get to drink that many of them, so I try to make them worthwhile. Sugar really does taste better than corn syrup.)
03-18-2016, 10:22 AM - 2 Likes   #24606
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I was a catcher for 3 years
Bingo!
Now I know who you remind me of Norm.
Yogi !!

03-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #24607
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

03-18-2016, 10:44 AM   #24608
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Lemon tree. I water the lemon tree. I get told off by my wife when I water other people's lemon trees, but she does not complain if I water our one. Interesting.

Didn't Bert Munro 'water' his lemon tree?
03-18-2016, 11:04 AM   #24609
Veteran Member

Bingo!
Now I know who you remind me of Norm.
Yogi !!
Norm is just a better lookin' Rupert with a shorter haircut....according to Otis. He claims they are both argumentative, sometimes foul tempered, and both take photos...one great photos and one not so great. Argue with that Norm?

03-18-2016, 11:09 AM   #24610
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Anyone else have such unexplained bouts....young or old?

Yes, in recent years. Having always gone after life's daily routine at 110% I have usually slept very well at the end of each day. But over the last 5 years or so there has been periods where I reach a point that a day or two is needed to recharge.

So I spend a 24 to 48 hour period doing little, besides being a layabout ne'er do well.

Then, refreshed and recharged, I go back at it.
03-18-2016, 11:10 AM   #24611
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Now, in my mature years, I get kind of freaked out if I have a totally pain or ache free day.
But I'll take the aches and pains over the possible alternative any day.

Yep.

Aches and pains are like scars on fine leather.
03-18-2016, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #24612
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Then, refreshed and recharged, I go back at it.
Racer, there comes a time when you just don't recharge well.....if at all. I'm not there but I can feel it coming. I recall once when my Grandad was complaining "I just don't know what's wrong with me" after tilling his one acre garden on a hot April day. He was 85 at the time......I don't see ever getting that far on my batteries.

However, when I was 25 my batteries could run night and day and not need a charge for days at a time. Probably why they are so weak now?

Regards!

I'm going to post this again....Savoche posted it yesterday (Thanks!)......I just love it! It is so much how the squirrels are here...only weeks ago that one attacked that hawk on my cedar fence...they are damn brave critters!

Look a that great form in slow motion!
03-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #24613
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Oh :swear:
Cricket batsmen are much tougher than baseballers. In cricket, if the batsman gets hit, including at that place, the batsman hurts. Nothing else happens.

In baseball the batsman gets a bonus run for being not good enough to dodge the ball, or to hit it.
03-18-2016, 01:55 PM   #24614
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I haven't seen a cane-sugar-glass-bottle Dr. Pepper in NC yet, but some bottler in Virginia is making them.
We're not far from the original plant just down the highway about 45 minutes away. When we lived closer we went there often..... Mrs Rupert is a Dr Pepper addict....they were always too sweet for me, but I do like the flavor. I don't drink many soft drinks, but prefer Diet Coke for the more carbonation/less sweet taste.
Is there life after Dr Pepper? Dublin wonders - Houston Chronicle

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Cricket batsmen are much tougher than baseballers. In cricket, if the batsman gets hit, including at that place, the batsman hurts. Nothing else happens.
When I was in boxing long ago, a low blow was a penalty of one point. Most of the time it was faked by the one receiving, even if it was a glancing blow. I saw some pretty good actors, rolling around on the canvas in fake misery to buy time before they got knocked out!

In Little League I took a few while on the pitchers mound...line drives can damage, but with a good cup it is rare to suffer much. The ones to the head were the ones that I worried about......heck, maybe that's my problem now?

Regards!
03-18-2016, 01:56 PM   #24615
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
In baseball the batsman gets a bonus run for being not good enough to dodge the ball, or to hit it.
Nope, no runs scored for getting hit, they just get to take first base.
But if the bases are loaded it does score a run.
And it's sometimes hard to dodge a 90 to 100 mph baseball no matter how athletic the batter.