I very seldom drink soda pop anymore.

03-18-2016, 02:14 PM   #24617
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Mrs Bob is too.
I very seldom drink soda pop anymore.
Mrs Rupert has switched to Diet Dr Pepper since she started that Zoomba stuff about 6 months ago.....it really isn't that bad, but still way too sweet for my taste. I like black coffee, black tea with no sugar, or just plain iced water with a twist of lemon or lime...never sugar. I saw something strange in the convenience store yesterday...Hemp Tea and Hemp Lemonade. Looked at the can......33 grams of sugar. More than you should have in an entire day. Sugar is addictive and is also a slow but sure killer.

What I get is from fruit and as little as I can from anything else....but it is in everything...so damn hard to avoid! Kids in Kindergarten taking insulin....that can't be a good sign, can it?

Regards!
03-18-2016, 06:38 PM   #24618
Veteran Member

Don't know where you guys went...but I had some delicious fried okra along with a chicken salad sandwich.

Look at that golden fried okra! Yep...that's Velveeta peeking out of that wheat bread!
03-18-2016, 06:41 PM   #24619
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Sugar is addictive and is also a slow but sure killer.
True, but so is Velveeta. And, since sugar doesn't carry the risk of crapping my pants that certain dairy products have, Dr. Pepper is my poison of choice! 10-2-4!

03-18-2016, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #24620
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
True, but so is Velveeta.
You don't want to die with strong bones?

Dr. Pepper is my poison of choice! 10-2-4!
So you are one of those radicals? I never saw that coming......
03-18-2016, 09:08 PM   #24621
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hell, Henry is smarter than I realized!
...and damn observant too!
That lovely bloom reminds me.....wish it didn't but here goes anyhow......
Great story Rupert. Today's kids don't go to nearly as much effort to earn cash!
Sounds like you had a proper Ringling Bros Barnum and Bailey three-ring circus going there!

Last edited by MarkJerling; 03-18-2016 at 09:15 PM.
03-18-2016, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #24622
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Didn't Bert Munro 'water' his lemon tree?
According to the movie, yes. As the movie was very, very, very far divorced from the real story, I don't know if the lemon tree part was real or contrived.

03-18-2016, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #24623
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

By '77, we'd softened our stance quite a bit - we saw too many good men die in the Cola Wars...

03-18-2016, 09:15 PM   #24624
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
According to the movie, yes. As the movie was very, very, very far divorced from the real story, I don't know if the lemon tree part was real or contrived.
According to Wikipedia (take with appropriate amount of salt), that was something the director's father did/said, so he inserted it in his "honor".
03-19-2016, 12:03 AM   #24625
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

According to Wikipedia (take with appropriate amount of salt), that was something the director's father did/said, so he inserted it in his "honor".
Aha. Not surprising. While it is a lovely story, it is,none the less, largely fiction. Yes, he did break several records, but the whole narative is basically made up.
03-19-2016, 12:10 AM   #24626
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With Easter almost here, we have hot cross buns for breakfast quite often. (Us) South Africans eat hot cross buns with butter and cheese. Kiwis seem to eat hot cross buns with only butter or butter and jam. We find that odd. (Having said that, they find our addition of cheese weird too.)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-19-2016, 12:13 AM   #24627
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm busy turning my daughter's two tiny wardrobes into one large wardrobe. Today, I started with the gib-stopping. (I think you guys call it something else - it's where you plaster the joints of the plasterboard.)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-19-2016, 12:25 AM   #24628
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Nope, no runs scored for getting hit, they just get to take first base.
But if the bases are loaded it does score a run.
And it's sometimes hard to dodge a 90 to 100 mph baseball no matter how athletic the batter.
When I was young we watched test matches. Keith Stackpole and Bill Lawrie would open the batting and by about the sixth over (in those days in Australia of 8 balls each) at least one of them would have been hit in the gentleman's protector, or have a split finger or thumb on a hit catching the hand between the bat handle and the ball, flying at about 90-100 mph (fast bowlers bowling at that stage of the innings. So after a delay for on field repairs the batsmen would get on with it. My recall of Lawrie was 'a bit slow at scoring', but not like Boycott or Tavare. BTW: the glove technology is much better these days. In those days the protection on the gloves was a strip of spikey shaped rubber sewn onto a fairly plain set of gloves.

---------- Post added 03-19-16 at 06:03 PM ----------

Mrs Rupert has switched to Diet Dr Pepper since she started that Zoomba stuff about 6 months ago.....it really isn't that bad, but still way too sweet for my taste. I like black coffee, black tea with no sugar, or just plain iced water with a twist of lemon or lime...never sugar. I saw something strange in the convenience store yesterday...Hemp Tea and Hemp Lemonade. Looked at the can......33 grams of sugar. More than you should have in an entire day. Sugar is addictive and is also a slow but sure killer.

What I get is from fruit and as little as I can from anything else....but it is in everything...so damn hard to avoid! Kids in Kindergarten taking insulin....that can't be a good sign, can it?

Regards!
So sad we have done this to ourselves (collectively) by our choice to rely on manufactured foods shipped and stored a long way and a manufacturing philosophy that we have to have all the product all year taste the same. What is wrong with making modest amounts of seasonal and terroir variants, so we get to eat variety? Inter alia we would all develop our palates to be much more sophisticated tasters of whatever it is we are dining upon. And the only thing that would really suffer from that change of philosophy is that economist's or trader's (forgot his name) "Big Mac Index" for international price comparisons.

---------- Post added 03-19-16 at 06:09 PM ----------

You don't want to die with strong bones?

1970 Dr. Pepper TV commercial (B&W) - YouTube
I doubt if anyone would make an ad like that now for any product. There are allusions to the speaking style and speeches of too many famous people and some with religious connotations that it would be too likely to offend a chunk of the market. Also, a bit too subtle argument.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 03-19-16 at 06:10 PM ----------
Got duplicated.

Last edited by tim60; 03-19-2016 at 12:41 AM.
03-19-2016, 01:36 AM   #24629
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Don't know where you guys went...

Well, about the time you posted this I was having lunch.

At work.

You know, that four letter word.

Work.

Building wings for the best airplanes built.

I had Adams Crunchy peanut butter (no salt) mixed with some grade A butter (unsalted, natch!), and fresh raw local honey, spread out nicely on some 5 grain whole wheat bread. Washed it down with chocolate milk.

Also had a banana and some grapes for first break, and a string cheese snack and Greek peach yogurt for second break.

No overtime tonight, or this weekend (contract says they can't make us work 3 in a row), so it is time to get the garden ready, weed and lay fresh beauty bark on the flower beds, replace a few dead rhododendrons, cut up 5 trees that blew down in the windstorm last week and pick up dead branches, and somewhere in all that take Mrs. Racer out on a date.

Whew!

I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

Maybe I should go to work tomorrow . . . . .
03-19-2016, 01:54 AM   #24630
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Today, I started with the gib-stopping. (I think you guys call it something else - it's where you plaster the joints of the plasterboard.)

Mud and tape the joints, of the drywall, or wallboard. Blueboard is used in bathrooms and kitchens, the paper is rated for damp locations, ordinary drywall has a light grey or beige paper.

In older middle and upper class homes they used lath, and (sometimes) chicken wire or other wire or expanded metal reinforcement, and then applied plaster in a manner similar to how an exterior stucco finish is done, only with a smooth finish. It was usually finished with wallpaper, but sometimes painted or finished with wood veneer and molding.

The lower class homes that had any interior finish at all may have been finished in plywood, but raw open studs were not uncommon.