Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2016, 07:02 AM   #24661
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Sounds like a what we call here a "Box House"? You build corner posts and run lumber, two layers, diagonally from post to post. They form both the inner and outer walls. You cut out for windows/doors....there are no studs. In the late 1800s and early 1900s they were common in many areas.
My Grandad lived in one until he died at age 97+ .....it was the house he was born in. He was a skilled builder and could live in a big mansion had he desired, but he loved that old house his dad built. It was a nice house, but so outdated! Zero insulation except the attic.The inner walls were papered and it had a lot of charm....decorative metal ceilings.....the original old door locks that used skeleton keys. He liked a house that "breathed"...and it sure as hell did! Cold in the winter...but he had a Wood box stove and gas space heaters....in the summer it was fairly cool...10 foot ceilings helped.

Tim, in the great "Otis Appreciation Night" this week, Otis got distracted by a little girly squirrel that had been deserted by her boyfriend...and it was necessary for Otis to spend some time comforting her......so he failed to get you your just reward for contributing to this thread......He sends his sincere apology, (but does say it was worth his time to comfort the little girly!) and has corrected his error.

Congratulations new Site Supporter !

Otis Squirrel...Appreciating Pentaxians worldwide! What can Otis do for you? Buy you a new K1? Don't push your luck!
Otis is so interesting. He seems mischievous in the manner developed in a very refined manner by the English Public (not government) School system, as you can read all about in Tom Brown's Schooldays. Rupert, unfortunately you suffer from some of his pranks. He must have decided that you are an awfully good sport.

03-20-2016, 08:07 AM   #24662
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Otis is so interesting. He seems mischievous in the manner developed in a very refined manner by the English Public (not government) School system, as you can read all about in Tom Brown's Schooldays. Rupert, unfortunately you suffer from some of his pranks. He must have decided that you are an awfully good sport.
I don't know much about English society, and the only thing "refined" about Otis his predictability for causing some turmoil........usually focused in my direction. He loves to get me in a tangled web on his behalf...then abandon me and focus me as the "bad guy".....so yes, you have got that right.

The best I can describe Otis, is how I often do........"He means well....mostly." With an emphasis on the "mostly".

Anyhow, he was happy to do a little somethin' for you...and all his friends. If you were a girly squirrel, he would do even more.....this little girly was all heartbroken because her boyfriend abandoned her for another.......Otis comforted her now she has that big smile.....and lots of little baby Otis squirrels on the way!

Like I've said....Otis means well.....mostly!

Regards!

BTW- I will want to read that book. (Tom Brown's Schooldays)
Maybe it is OK to mention that we have a published author on PForums that writes childrens books? We went to her Book Signing event last summer in East Texas and had a wonderful visit with her and her husband.

Old Rupert & Tina

Tina and her husband Terry.....My kind of guy, great to meet them both in person!

Her book .......Wonderful children's book! You can buy it on Amazon! Buy several, we did!

More Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/129469263@N03/albums/72157655306044093/with/20183494243/

All leading to this......Tina is laying the groundwork for a new Otis Book! I am going to help her as much as I can. The biggest obstacle so far has been to stock up enough soap to keep Otis' mouth sanitized for children's reading. So perhaps in the not too distant future, Otis will be even more famous than he thinks he already is? Maybe a movie contract in his future? He swears he is more handsome that anything Hollywood currently has to offer........

Order Tina's book from Amazon and get a bonus from Otis.....he says he will send you Mrs Rupert to read it to you...and as an added bonus for himself, he says you can keep her!

Sorry for the long post...kinda. To stay on topic, I will note that I did NOT buy a K3......my K1 is on order!
03-20-2016, 10:14 AM   #24663
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Your porch is a dandy Racer!

Thanks Bob!

Last edited by Racer X 69; 03-20-2016 at 05:29 PM.
03-20-2016, 10:46 AM   #24664
Veteran Member

Originally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Its a nice porch.
Agree! We never pass a home with a wraparound porch without Mrs Rupert commenting on it....she would love yours!
You can't thank me too...I feel slighted......Damn it Racer? You got me on Ignore again?

03-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #24665
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Agree! We never pass a home with a wraparound porch without Mrs Rupert commenting on it....she would love yours!
Everyone likes the porch. But they don't have to maintain it. Gotta redo the stain again this year.

Tell her I said thanks Jim!
03-20-2016, 10:57 AM   #24666
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

You can't thank me too...I feel slighted......Damn it Racer? You got me on Ignore again?

Patience Jim, patience.

03-20-2016, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #24667
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Patience Jim, patience.
So about how long Racer? Bob got his, Mrs Rupert hers......I said I agreed it was a very nice porch.....what more do I have to do?

I showed your porch to Otis and he said to give you this porch award to see if it would help me get a "You too thanks"?

Otis said it is a damn fine porch and he would be privileged to crack his nuts there anytime!

That's about the best I can offer Racer....Bob didn't go that far, neither did Mrs Rupert. Only me and Otis.

Regards!

03-20-2016, 12:47 PM   #24668
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Rupert, it is part of the pranks at the schools that they may repeated prank the same person in authority, the teachers, the headmaster etc. What other kind of school could have a brewery for a sponsor.

Rugby was invented at one of the more famous such school.
03-20-2016, 01:55 PM   #24669
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Rupert, it is part of the pranks at the schools that they may repeated prank the same person in authority, the teachers, the headmaster etc. What other kind of school could have a brewery for a sponsor.
I can relate to that....in the 9th grade I put a big green tree snake in my Science Teachers desk drawer. She kept her chalk in there and when she opened it up he shot out like a rocket.
In 9th grade history class....I better not tell that one, I think they still have an open warrant out for the "John Doe".......

In 10th grade history, we had this old bitty that hated my guts. Every time she started in on her politics, I shot her down without reserve. I didn't particularly have any politics of my own, but didn't want to hear hers. She had a '49 Dodge that was gorgeous.....convertible....one day she left to go home and all the wheels were off and it was sitting on concrete blocks. Took them two days to find her wheels...in the gym under a big stack of dirty laundry. There were a few witnesses, but no one was talking.

It would take hours to list all the pranks we did back in school. I can tell you that a small bottle of hydrogen sulfide can empty an entire school in no time.
I saw school as a place for adventure and some mild anarchy...we never hurt anyone or caused real damage. It was fun stuff! It's a wonder I ever graduated, but I made good grades and that was an irritant to some of those teachers too.

BTW- Love your new Otis signature....hope they spread around. Otis has some neat plans for his Society and he sure as heck won't forget those that carry the Otis logo!

Regards!
03-20-2016, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #24670
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When I was in high school I hung out in the print shop. When I wasn't in whatever other class I had to be in, before school, during school, lunch, after school, whatever, I was in the print shop.
Besides myself, a couple of other students, and the printing/photography teacher, the auto shop teacher and one of the history teachers hung out there at lunch time as well.
One day at lunch time I was sitting in the instructor's office and found a squirt gun he'd taken away from someone and inspiration struck.
I filled the squirt gun, set it aside, and waited for the auto shop teacher to come in. I was sitting in the printing instructor's chair with my feet up on his desk when the auto shop teacher showed up. I waited for him to say something about me being where I was then I casually picked up the squirt gun and opened fire. It was about the 3rd or 4th squirt that it dawned on me that the 6'2", 250+ pound teacher was standing in the only doorway out of the office.
Oops.
He casualy turned and yelled "Thomsen (the printing instructor), fill the sink." It was a 4 foot or so long multi faucet hand washing sink.
He could have at least filled it with warm water.

Last edited by Parallax; 03-20-2016 at 02:31 PM.
03-20-2016, 02:38 PM   #24671
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
When I was in high school I hung out in the print shop. When I wasn't in whatever other class I had to be in, before school, during school, lunch, after school, whatever, I was in the print shop.
Besides myself, a couple of other students, and the printing/photography teacher, the auto shop teacher and one of the history teachers hung out there at lunch time as well.
One day at lunch time I was sitting in the instructor's office and found a squirt gun he'd taken away from someone and inspiration struck.
I filled the squirt gun, set it aside, and waited for the auto shop teacher to come in. I was sitting in the printing instructor's chair with my feet up on his desk when the auto shop teacher showed up. I waited for him to say something about me being where I was then I casually picked up the squirt gun and opened fire. It was about the 3rd or 4th squirt that it dawned on me that the 6'2", 250+ pound teacher was standing in the only doorway out of the office.
Oops.
He casualy turned and yelled "Thomsen (the printing instructor), fill the sink." It was a 4 foot or so long multi faucet hand washing sink.
He could have at least filled it with warm water.
Now, that's pretty funny! And enough to keep me from buying the livE 3K.
03-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #24672
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

So about how long Racer? Bob got his, Mrs Rupert hers......I said I agreed it was a very nice porch.....what more do I have to do?

I showed your porch to Otis and he said to give you this porch award to see if it would help me get a "You too thanks"?

Otis said it is a damn fine porch and he would be privileged to crack his nuts there anytime!

That's about the best I can offer Racer....Bob didn't go that far, neither did Mrs Rupert. Only me and Otis.

Regards!

03-20-2016, 03:17 PM   #24673
Veteran Member

Thank you Racer! Not wanting to sound unappreciative in any way, but how many of those were for me and how many for Otis? Otis claims the vast majority were for him...is that the case....just wondering?

Regards!

Jim....It could have been worse. In High School I made the mistake of making fun of a football player every day in the restroom at the break between classes. He was a kicker and when he missed I would harass him the next week without mercy. I always made certain none of his buddies were in there. One day I walked in and he was the only one there......I cut loose on him after checking the 4 stalls to make sure his buddies weren't around. Doors popped open, big linebackers that had been sitting on top of the toilets so their feet wouldn't show came out...one was outside blocking the door and I got the worst head flush you can imagine. I mean...that you can imagine!

I had it coming.....but that didn't make it any easier.

Regards!
03-20-2016, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #24674
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How do you find this stuff?
03-20-2016, 05:21 PM   #24675
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you Racer! Not wanting to sound unappreciative in any way, but how many of those were for me and how many for Otis? Otis claims the vast majority were for him...is that the case....just wondering?

Regards!

All for you my friend!

Otis needs to get his own.