Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh MY Bertwert...

Attached Images

04-15-2016, 08:45 PM - 1 Like   #25532
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Squirrels will be glad to take Bert's share of bacon....

Name:  Bacon Squirrel.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  228.6 KB
04-15-2016, 10:14 PM   #25533
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
This seems fitting for today's subject.

https://youtu.be/TK3wuvQeE8I
I love Loudon Wainright III.
04-15-2016, 10:16 PM   #25534
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Brilliant! I've never heard that.

What?

You've never heard of Loudon Wainright III?

Look him up on YouTube.

There is much for you to catch up on.

04-15-2016, 10:17 PM   #25535
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
They didn't have a cat handy but that possum exploded like a bomb.
Sounds like a perfectly fitting use for a 'possum.

Just ask Red Green.
04-15-2016, 10:19 PM   #25536
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

OK.

I've done enough damage for one day with my momentary drive by spamming, er I mean posting.

Bye!
04-15-2016, 11:33 PM   #25537
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Getting back to the real subject of this thread: cheese.

I recently discovered Stilton. I really like it.

I was worried because I am a victim of my mother packing me blue vein cheese sandwiches to take to school back in the days when I hd just started at school.

---------- Post added 04-16-16 at 05:10 PM ----------

This week I bought some Laphroaig at Costco. Costco had it 3 quid off, so it was the price of an entry level blended (like 100 Pipers) in Australia. Will try soon.

Last week went to Austria and found most things cost the same in Euro that they cost in England in Pounds. Hmm!

Anyone know why there would be many Austrian men wearing old dress army uniforms on Saturday 9 April. Seemed like some kind of national day.

04-16-2016, 08:58 AM   #25538
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Anyone know why there would be many Austrian men wearing old dress army uniforms on Saturday 9
In my speed reading, I read that as "Austrian men wearing old dresses." .....not that there is anything wrong with that.
04-16-2016, 10:31 AM   #25539
Pentaxian

In my speed reading, I read that as "Austrian men wearing old dresses." .....not that there is anything wrong with that.
The men's clothing certainly had a traditional military air to it. It is just that they were in older style uniforms of the type worn for formal events with plenty of polished metal on the webbing and helmets and plenty of bright colours. They were not in spotty suits. Some of them appeared to be carrying antique weapons, conventional military long arms, but not the modern black plastic ones.

I did a google search for 9 April and Austria and something else, I forget now what, and found that that was the start of the Battle of Vienna 1945. Whilst historically important for Austria it does not quite seem the occasion that would have been celebrated/remembered. The establishment of a new post-occupation Austrian government was a few days later.

So, if someone does know what the occasion they were celebrating it would be interesting. BTW: I saw them in Linz along a street with a tramline quite close to the large square near the Danube that has the large monument with gold features.
04-16-2016, 11:48 AM   #25540
Veteran Member

Squirrels, cheese, and bacon.....the spices of life!

Squirrel eating corn, but dreaming of a grilled bacon and cheese on toasted wheat.
04-16-2016, 12:31 PM   #25541
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Squirrel eating corn, but dreaming of a grilled bacon and cheese on toasted wheat.

The best dreams in life are always about a sammich like this.

04-16-2016, 03:53 PM   #25542
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The best dreams in life are always about a sammich like this.
....and I guess a nightmare for Bert? I've been wondering how I could tell my Mom if I hated bacon? It would be worse than telling her that I really didn't go to that Church Camp when I was a kid, but went with my buddies fishing and we consumed a case of beer. She would understand that, probably not even be surprised, but hating bacon......nope, at near 90 years of age I'd never even think of doing that to her.
04-16-2016, 04:06 PM - 2 Likes   #25543
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

It would be worse than telling her that I really didn't go to that Church Camp when I was a kid, but went with my buddies fishing and we consumed a case of beer.
It's not too late to come clean and make amends, James.

You came home unsteady on your feet and she thought you were full of the holy spirit.

04-16-2016, 04:31 PM   #25544
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It's not too late to come clean and make amends, James.

You came home unsteady on your feet and she thought you were full of the holy spirit.
If I made confessions to my Mom I'd be there for weeks, and in the end not much of it would shock her. There was a time we really did go to Church Camp and it turned out very badly. Me and a buddy found a little flat bottom boat down by the lake shore and decided to take it out. One of the girls wanted to go with us so we said OK. We got out about 75 yards and the girl stripped off totally and was skinny dipping. Some kids saw us and called out the preacher and youth minister and we got expelled...it was our second day at camp. Our Moms had to come pick us up and my Mom still looks at me with disgust if boats are mentioned in a conversation.

The girl got to stay...she claimed we encouraged her and she was fast to repent and pray for forgiveness. We did not do any such thing...though we would have if we had thought of it. So, we refused to repent and left as outcast unforgiven sinners. My Mom, a dedicated "Church Lady" had to live with my reputation for years and it's not likely she will ever forget it. If she knew the really bad stuff......so you see, confessions are not in order!
04-16-2016, 11:07 PM   #25545
Pentaxian

Tried the Laphroaig last night. Good. Also found it in the local Waitrose, which is 50 miles closer to the distillery than the Costco at which I bought it. Price at Waitrose nearly double that at Costco. A paradox of the modern economy that being closer to the origin of goods does not make the price of them less. If you go to cellar doors in the Barossa for the larger wineries you may find yourself paying more than at the city bottle shop, even though you took on the effort and cost of going tot he source. Or does the cellar door shop get their supplies from some big depot in the city? Or are they just cashing in on the tourist experience? The only reason to go there is to be able to get some types not sold in normal shops, and those are usually special low production lines.