Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108811 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2016, 11:33 PM   #25546
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Tried the Laphroaig last night. Good. Also found it in the local Waitrose, which is 50 miles closer to the distillery than the Costco at which I bought it. Price at Waitrose nearly double that at Costco. A paradox of the modern economy that being closer to the origin of goods does not make the price of them less. If you go to cellar doors in the Barossa for the larger wineries you may find yourself paying more than at the city bottle shop, even though you took on the effort and cost of going tot he source. Or does the cellar door shop get their supplies from some big depot in the city? Or are they just cashing in on the tourist experience? The only reason to go there is to be able to get some types not sold in normal shops, and those are usually special low production lines.

While traveling through the California wine country once we stopped for a free taste. Having never done so we thought it might be a treat.

It was.

They had cheese, crackers, some fresh fruit, and a taste or three.

Not really a wine drinker, I discovered pinot noir pleased my palette.

While we were there we noticed some of the people would come in zero in on one particular wine, slam a few 'tastes', and dash out. I commented to the gal that had been pouring for us and she said they were regulars from the city. Winery hopping she said.

04-17-2016, 03:16 AM   #25547
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
We got out about 75 yards and the girl stripped off totally and was skinny dipping. Some kids saw us and called out the preacher and youth minister ...
Those idiots! ☺

I've had friends tell me their church camps as high school and uni students could be pretty raunchy.

04-17-2016, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #25548
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Not really a wine drinker, I discovered pinot noir pleased my palette..
Ooh, a favourite of mine, RacerX.

If you ever get the chance, watch the bromance movie 'Sideways' about a lost weekend in the Napa Valley. Very funny.
04-17-2016, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #25549
Veteran Member

I'm no wine drinker either, but do drink 8oz at bedtime every night. Sleep better and fall off faster. I have also heard from two world class cardiologists that red wine will clear arteries of plaque. They had scientific proof and there are articles in the American Journal of Medicine that back them up.

In my stress test and sonograms 12 years ago I had a small amount of plaque in my right carotid artery. Last December, after 12 years of the wine at night routine, I had none. Coincidence? Maybe, but I still drink it!

I don't care for the taste of wine much...it's like shoe polish...but that Winking Owl Shiraz is drinkable, and has the benefits of a true red wine. And, best of all it's only $2.89 a bottle! Cheaper than the bottle water Mrs Rupert buys by the case every week.
https://grapecollective.com/articles/winking-owl-reviews-of-an-under-3-wine

Clearing arteries for more bacon fat has to be a good thing, and worth holding your nose while you chug down that foul flavor.

04-17-2016, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #25550
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Clearing arteries for more bacon fat has to be a good thing, and worth holding your nose while you chug down that foul flavor.
or you could get your swine in the wine, at $140 per bottle.
Putting the Swine in Wine: Making Bacon Cabernet : Table To Grave

04-17-2016, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #25551
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
or you could get your swine in the wine, at $140 per bottle.
Well, it's the real deal not just artificial flavor.....said you might even get lucky and get a bacon bit or two in there.

"Bacon flavorings have found their way into everything from toothpaste and mouthwash to candy, gum and even condoms in the bacon-mania that has swept the nation."

Guys in High School today have all the modern benefits of culinary science. I can only imagine how much better I might have done with bacon flavored condoms......."Come on Suzie...you know you can't resist bacon, you don't want to be an outcast like Bert, do you?"

Regards!
04-17-2016, 10:08 AM   #25552
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Shame on you Jim!

04-17-2016, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #25553
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shame on you Jim!
The "Rupert Type" rears its dirty minded head.

04-17-2016, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #25554
Veteran Member

That's not really dirty.....back in school I would have just asked if the girls wanted to go out for a "Bacon Wrap". Nothing dirty about that.....I could even say it in front of their Mom!
04-17-2016, 11:21 AM   #25555
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't even begin to describe what my mind made of that...
04-17-2016, 11:30 AM   #25556
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I can't even begin to describe what my mind made of that...
....and I'm accused of being nasty minded???
04-17-2016, 11:34 AM   #25557
Pentaxian

While traveling through the California wine country once we stopped for a free taste. Having never done so we thought it might be a treat.

It was.

They had cheese, crackers, some fresh fruit, and a taste or three.

While we were there we noticed some of the people would come in zero in on one particular wine, slam a few 'tastes', and dash out. I commented to the gal that had been pouring for us and she said they were regulars from the city. Winery hopping she said.
Some people are that uncouth. Happens everywhere.

---------- Post added 04-18-16 at 05:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Those idiots! ☺

I've had friends tell me their church camps as high school and uni students could be pretty raunchy.
I was at one once. On the last night one of the boys, well under age, drank 3/4 of a bottle of brandy. He got a punishment the next day - clean the restroom with a handheld sponge as part of the cleanup on the last day.
04-17-2016, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #25558
Veteran Member

The good thing about that Church camp was that my Mom never made me go to another one..in fact she prohibited it. I did go to Scout camp once and it was a lot of fun. My friend Charlie burned down our tent with a magnifying glass focused from the bright sunlight, but otherwise we had a great time. I bought a Coke from the outdoor machine at the camp store and got almost $12. back in change so I lived it up that week.

Kid times were fun times. Always looking for new adventures and learning new things...mostly the hard way!
04-17-2016, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #25559
Veteran Member

I got quite a few friends acquaintances I could stick that picture too.

Guys in High School today have all the modern benefits of culinary science. I can only imagine how much better I might have done with bacon flavored condoms......."Come on Suzie...you know you can't resist bacon, you don't want to be an outcast like Bert, do you?"
You know this is meant to be a family friendly forum...
04-17-2016, 04:28 PM   #25560
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
You know this is meant to be a family friendly forum...
Bacon friendly Bert.......bacon friendly.....don't try to mask the importance.

The only "family" I see here is Otis and he has hundreds of kids from dozens of unmarried girlfriends.....what kind of "family values" are those?