Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2016, 01:15 PM   #25591
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I only went to that one Church Camp and I'll tell you, it was worse than the Army. They searched us several times a day...confiscated my new switch blade knife on the first day and did breath tests several times a day. The confiscated my best friends Playboy and made him go for counseling, even though he was emphatic that he only read the fine articles and never even noticed the naked photos.
What a nightmare you and your buddies must have been for people just trying to do their jobs! 😀

04-18-2016, 01:49 PM   #25592
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
What a nightmare you and your buddies must have been for people just trying to do their jobs! 😀
Their job was brainwashing and we didn't care for it. I never saw any need to pray over a damn biscuit for an hour when you could just butter it up and eat it while it was still hot. Of course, we were just young dumb teens...but still, we knew hot biscuits!

Regards!
04-18-2016, 01:59 PM   #25593
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Their job was brainwashing
Poorly paid ones, too, I bet ... some may even have been volunteers.

Lucky they had a profound impact and prevented you from leading a wayward life - makes their suffering at the time all worth it. :-P

04-18-2016, 02:32 PM   #25594
Veteran Member

Lucky they had a profound impact and prevented you from leading a wayward life - makes their suffering at the time all worth it. :-P
Yep, you are right, and I never eat a hot biscuit without thinking of their sacrifice.

At the time, I guess we were the "hoodlums" of society. By today's standards we were choir boys. We were mostly guilty of having a lot of fun...we never hurt anyone, had respect for the elderly, little children and animals....we loved animals...still do! We did not like conformity, unreasoned discipline, or giving unearned respect to those with self appointed fancy titles. Not much has changed in my thinking since those days.....

We didn't even know what drugs were...my Grandmother took a little Black Draught and Hadacol....beyond that we knew little of drugs. We did know that if we got a chance at a good beer we would take it! Not one of my buddies had an AK47 or a 9mm pistol.....and none of us ever lost out pants from being so low they fell off.

All in all, my bet is that those Church people back in the day had it pretty easy compared to dealing with today's youth. None of us ever contemplated shooting the youth minister because our biscuits were getting cold......we did think of sticking his head in the toilet, but we didn't get the chance, so I can't say for a fact we would have.

Regards!

04-18-2016, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #25595
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Their job was brainwashing and we didn't care for it. I never saw any need to pray over a damn biscuit for an hour when you could just butter it up and eat it while it was still hot. Of course, we were just young dumb teens...but still, we knew hot biscuits!

Regards!
I worked three summers as a counselor at church camp. You should have come to our camps. Prayers were short because we were all hungry. We did not do much brain washing, though I washed many a "soiled" sleeping bag as well as a fair amount of stinky clothes. Depending on the week, we had kids ranging from age 8 through 16. The teens were fun and easy...the middle schoolers, much less so. The youngest group came for a short week and it was the opinion of the staff that they were too little to take full advantage of what camp had to offer.

We also did two specialty camps. The first was for children with severe disabilities and/or medical problems. Few of the regular staff remained at camp for that session. We were replaced by doctors and nurses needed to keep the kids alive through the week. The second special camp was for visually impaired kids. Horses, boats, swimming, they did it all. Yes, even archery! The kids drew the bow with the staff helping with the aim. The kids for the special camps all came for free and had a great time courtesy of the generosity of church members and other great people.

Great memories.

Steve
04-18-2016, 03:09 PM   #25596
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Great memories.
I have donated to a lot of kids at Mrs Rupert's Church for their Church camp activities. I have heard wonderful reports back that have encouraged me to continue my support. The Scout camp I went to was also a very good experience for me....except for my buddy burning down our tent.

My one Church camp experience was an atrocity....it was assumed we were all heathen criminals and we were treated as such. That is not always the case...fortunately!

Whatever kind of camp it is, if the kids today can get out in the real world and away from their phones, computers and game boxes, it can be a life changing experience...if it is a camp as you described.

Regards!
04-18-2016, 05:34 PM   #25597
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

the kids today can get out in the real world and away from their phones
away... from... phones? OMG, how could you be so cruel? How can they eat, if they can't Instagram their food? How can they have a good time if they can't Tweet that they are having a good time? How can they truly experience anything without a series of selfies standing in front of whatever it is with their backs to it?

Most importantly, how can they log into Pentax Forums to see what is happening on The Thread? What is this, the Dark Ages?

04-18-2016, 06:08 PM   #25598
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Whatever kind of camp it is, if the kids today can get out in the real world and away from their phones, computers and game boxes, it can be a life changing experience...if it is a camp as you described
Husband and wife friends of mine are attempting to address this situation with the "have to be connected" youth in our area.
Missouri Kids Unplugged - Home
04-18-2016, 06:56 PM   #25599
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Husband and wife friends of mine are attempting to address this situation with the "have to be connected" youth in our area.
Well, good luck with that...seriously. I do believe it is an epidemic that is robbing young people of real life. Wild as I was as a kid, it was mostly outside in the real world. We rose early to get out there and explore our surroundings and seek new adventures. The sun going down could almost bring tears.....we loved the outdoors and the life it exposed to our young minds. If anyone was missing, we knew they were out of town or home sick...otherwise they would be out there with us.
How times have changed......you can drive neighborhoods today on the finest of days and not see any children outside playing. You know where they are......inside, frozen to some device and not sucking in a drop of sunshine.

What I am wondering....what does this mean for the future? What does it mean for forming personal relationships in the flesh? What does it mean for a rational view of the world and other people when all you know is in cyberspace? Are there psychological imbalances that will alter the future in a negative way?

Schools help some in offsetting the cyber age, but I don't think it can offset what has been lost. Schools seem to be full of their own problems...many of which I think are a direct result of "devices" raising children in the home?

Answers? I sure as heck don't have them. My kids ran as wild and free as I did in their youth. It was good for them, and they turned out to be worthy citizens. They were better at following some rules than I was.......my Mom was a pushover...Mrs Rupert ruled with an iron rod, and was not afraid to use it.

Regards!
04-18-2016, 08:22 PM   #25600
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Most importantly, how can they log into Pentax Forums to see what is happening on The Thread? What is this, the Dark Ages?
I don't have a phone and I manage to be here...
04-18-2016, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #25601
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
First no bacon, now no phone....
04-18-2016, 09:02 PM   #25602
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
How can ET phone home then?
04-18-2016, 09:58 PM   #25603
Pentaxian

I have donated to a lot of kids at Mrs Rupert's Church for their Church camp activities. I have heard wonderful reports back that have encouraged me to continue my support. The Scout camp I went to was also a very good experience for me....except for my buddy burning down our tent.

My one Church camp experience was an atrocity....it was assumed we were all heathen criminals and we were treated as such. That is not always the case...fortunately!

Whatever kind of camp it is, if the kids today can get out in the real world and away from their phones, computers and game boxes, it can be a life changing experience...if it is a camp as you described.

Regards!
Rupert, sounds like those guys missed the point. Should be fun without imposition in order that the kids will be more attracted to what the church volunteers are trying to attract them to. So sad some people confuse imposing outward form of behaviour with building character.

I went to church camps and a couple in the army cadets. In the cadets camps we got to use rifles, .22 to start and 7.62mm and to handle 9.5mm sub machine guns. In Australia that is a really big deal for 15 year old boys. Would have used them if the government had not closed it at the end of 1975. At one of the camps some of the boys created great excited for all of us. After discovering the report we could get from tinned vegemite in the fire (it came out of the ration packs) someone put a tin of peaches in the fire near the most unpopular boy's tent, who was the stand in platoon commander for one of the other platoons. 15 minutes later there was a loud report, the fire disappeared and the tent was shredded with the shrapnel. No-one was hurt. All 150 of us were told off.

Last edited by tim60; 04-18-2016 at 10:04 PM.
04-18-2016, 11:20 PM   #25604
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tim, preventing you and your friends (?) from using firearms might have been a good decision, me thinks!
04-19-2016, 06:57 AM   #25605
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I went to church camps and a couple in the army cadets. In the cadets camps we got to use rifles, .22 to start and 7.62mm and to handle 9.5mm sub machine guns.

We don't get that anymore, we only get lousy are rifles.
When my CO was in cadets she got to mess around with stuff like that.