Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
04-23-2016, 03:15 PM - 2 Likes   #25786
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I rode in a Skymaster my senior year in high school. My impression as a passenger was that it was incredibly noisy.

Steve
Well, as far as engine noise, it did have surround sound.

04-23-2016, 03:39 PM   #25787
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nimble handling like a sports car? I guess so!

For sure. When I was flying it through the valley over the Mount Loop Highway a few hundred feet above the trees it was nimble and responsive. Much more so than any light plane I've ever flown.

I rode in a Skymaster my senior year in high school. My impression as a passenger was that it was incredibly noisy.

All aircraft are noisy, even commercial airliners.

The Mitchell was well known for being excessively noisy. The exhaust from the radial engines came out all the way around the nacelles, including on the fuselage sides, and the engines are quite close to the main cabin.

QuoteQuote:
Crew members and operators on the air show circuit frequently commented that "the B-25 is the fastest way to turn aviation fuel directly into noise".
04-23-2016, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #25788
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The Mitchell was well known for being excessively noisy.
Nothing has changed, it is still noisy... We have "Panchito" fly around every once in a while, the engines sound glorious!
Delaware Aviation Museum
04-23-2016, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #25789
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

fastest way to turn aviation fuel directly into noise
I've heard B-25s up close, and I played hooky to go over to the airport and watch FIFI (B-29), Diamond Lil (B-24A), and a C-46 fly out at the same time (that's 4xR-3350 + 4xR-1830 + 2xR-2800), but it still wasn't as loud as one AV-8 Harrier hovering and flying sideways down the runway, spinning slowly.

04-24-2016, 03:53 AM   #25790
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Commercial airliners are improving. 787 is quite good, 380 better. Result of whole cabin active noise reduction. Trouble is the airlines keeping their legacy kit instead of on selling it to down the list quality airlines. That inflicts 30 to 40 year old tech on us as travellers. (10 years to design, 20 year or more production cycle with modest upgrades and 20 to 30 year service life to get rated 20000 flight cycles, for long haul usage.) The later 747s are still flying, but the design concept was established mid 60s.
04-24-2016, 08:04 AM   #25791
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I was flying before most of you guys were born! We lived in Dallas a mile from the end of the runway at Love Field. Planes took off and landed on a flight path in what was vacant fields just behind our house. We would go out to the landing light towers and spend hours under the planes landing.....you could almost touch them.

The best part of it was that our next door neighbor was a pilot for Braniff. It was not unusual for him to take me with him when they took a plane to Houston where they did their maintenance. I think I went at least a dozen times before I was 8 years old. The planes would be empty except for a co-pilot, engineer and maybe a few company personnel. I got to sit right up front with the crew and more often than not I got a shot at "piloting" the plane.

It was different times in the early 50s, this would be unheard of today, but was not given a second thought back then. I even sat next to the Braniff CEO on one flight and he spent the time telling me all about the plane and how it operated.

My favorite trips were in a Lockheed Constellation similar to this one.....Rusty (my neighbor) called it a three tailed whale. It was big and it was luxurious. The one we flew on, maybe 2-3 times was a Braniff corporate plane and was fitted for meetings and overnight long haul trips.
Name:  Constellation.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  138.1 KB

That's my flying story......for a young kid it was an experience of a lifetime to get all that flying at such an early age. Rusty had a small private plane and I went up in it several times, but it was nothing compared to the big ones I was used to.

Took a little trip yesterday a couple hours west just to eat dinner at the famous Underwoods Cafeteria in Brownwood Tx.

Passed through Dublin Tx...home of the original Dr Pepper plant.

Was the food worth the trip? You bet it was!

Fork tender beefsteak and fresh homemade yeasty rolls......the "Roll Guy" comes around every few minutes with oven hot rolls...all you want, for free.

I ate Mrs Rupert's pickled okra, so she had to go back and get more.

Beautiful sunny day, no wind, about 85F...perfect!

Instead of the news I read about beards this morning....I feel better already! Gotta get me some of this!
Name:  whiskey oil.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  149.7 KB

All worn out from typing now...gotta go take a break.
04-24-2016, 10:20 AM   #25792
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I was flying before most of you guys were born! We lived in Dallas a mile from the end of the runway at Love Field. Planes took off and landed on a flight path in what was vacant fields just behind our house. We would go out to the landing light towers and spend hours under the planes landing.....you could almost touch them.

The best part of it was that our next door neighbor was a pilot for Braniff. It was not unusual for him to take me with him when they took a plane to Houston where they did their maintenance. I think I went at least a dozen times before I was 8 years old. The planes would be empty except for a co-pilot, engineer and maybe a few company personnel. I got to sit right up front with the crew and more often than not I got a shot at "piloting" the plane.

It was different times in the early 50s, this would be unheard of today, but was not given a second thought back then. I even sat next to the Braniff CEO on one flight and he spent the time telling me all about the plane and how it operated.

My favorite trips were in a Lockheed Constellation similar to this one.....Rusty (my neighbor) called it a three tailed whale. It was big and it was luxurious. The one we flew on, maybe 2-3 times was a Braniff corporate plane and was fitted for meetings and overnight long haul trips.
Attachment 307267

That's my flying story......for a young kid it was an experience of a lifetime to get all that flying at such an early age. Rusty had a small private plane and I went up in it several times, but it was nothing compared to the big ones I was used to.

Neat stuff Jim.

Those Connies were in a class all by themselves. If I recall correctly, the windows in the passenger cabin had curtains. Not something you see in today's commercial airliners.

Back in the 60's when children flew the airlines gave them special treatment. Somewhere I have a set of wings the captain gave me when we flew from New York to LA. He came into the cabin during the flight and gave them to me personally, and took me into the flight deck.

Good times.

Instead of the news I read about beards this morning....I feel better already! Gotta get me some of this!
Attachment 307268

Beard oil?

Does your beard squeak?

All worn out from typing now...gotta go take a break.

Yes, typing is such a chore, huh?

04-24-2016, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #25793
Veteran Member

Those Connies were in a class all by themselves. If I recall correctly, the windows in the passenger cabin had curtains. Not something you see in today's commercial airliners.
One of those Braniff Connies had wooden louvered shades...I'd forgotten all about that. They were very fancy inside. None of the other passenger planes Braniff flew were anywhere near as luxurious, but they were still better than most airlines from what I was told. The food was also the best on Braniff...always was.
As an adult I always few Braniff if I had the option. The last one I flew was out of DFW to Minneapolis....mid 70s? I hated to see them disappear.

I'm still not used to a beard, but I still have it because I Hate shaving with a passion. I get it trimmed by my new lady barber ever two weeks. I don't like it shaggy. Maybe it makes me look more intellectual? Once I open my mouth, that goes away fast!

Dublin DP....those were the days! Used to tour the plant often and get free DPeppers.

Regards!
04-24-2016, 01:00 PM   #25794
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

The food was also the best on Braniff...always was.

Food!

There's another thing.

Nowadays you're lucky to get a snack, especially on domestic flights. Chips, soda, beer or a cocktail.

And it costs extra.

Nothing good ever lasts.
04-24-2016, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #25795
Veteran Member

Nowadays you're lucky to get a snack, especially on domestic flights. Chips, soda, beer or a cocktail.
Years ago flying was somewhat an elite experience not known to the masses. You were treated accordingly by many airlines to enhance your air travel.
I had my first ever lobster on a Braniff flight. It was served with a small bacon wrapped filet and a very fresh salad. I didn't get the champagne because I was only 7. I didn't eat the salad either.....at 7 I didn't eat salads.

Nowadays airlines are flying cattle cars, where they toss you a bag of chips and a bottle of water and call it a meal. A lot has changed in 50 years.
04-24-2016, 02:19 PM   #25796
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Nowadays airlines are flying cattle cars, where they toss you a bag of chips and a bottle of water and call it a meal.

That's about it.

With the Airbus A380, a double Decker that can carry as many as 853 passengers, people are reduced to extreme cattle status.

Can you imagine the reactions when one of these behemoths crashes?

I read the other day that sales are lagging, and Airbus is cutting back the production rate.

This is good news from my perspective, in multiple ways.
04-24-2016, 02:27 PM   #25797
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Anzac Day here today. This photo taken at the Dawn Parade, this morning.
Trick question: Which one is the New Zealand flag and which one is the Australian flag?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-24-2016, 02:37 PM   #25798
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Anzac Day here today.
Reminds me of how weak I am on the history of other nations.....heck, even my own...excepting the nation of Texas. Tell us what that day celebrates?

I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours.....

San Jacinto Day
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Jacinto_Day

...and......we do things bigger in Texas, no kidding.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Jacinto_Monument

Regards!
04-24-2016, 02:39 PM   #25799
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Trick question: Which one is the New Zealand flag and which one is the Australian flag?
One closer to us is NZ?
04-24-2016, 02:49 PM   #25800
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
One closer to us is NZ?
And the prize goes to Bert! Well done!