Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2016, 06:49 AM   #25861
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Heheheh... I just read that the Québécois refer to "maple-flavored syrup" (usually just high-fructose corn syrup with artificial flavoring) as sirop de poteau / "pole syrup", because (it is claimed) the syrup was obtained by tapping telephone poles instead of maple trees.
Disgusting stuff...
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I grew up with this: The History of Golden Syrup | Our Story | Lyle's | Lyle's Golden Syrup
Ooh! I love that!
We never got those - only the green tins!
And these tins I love as well - they are very useful after emptied of delicious golden syrup!

04-25-2016, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #25862
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
After using real maple syrup I can no longer use the fake stuff.
04-25-2016, 08:43 AM - 3 Likes   #25863
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I abstained from this thread for a couple days and now trying to ketchup.
some recent key words appear to be airplane, Texas, Canada, and maple syrup
I'll pick 2

I was 40, in 1987, when I first flew on an airplane.
My son, brother, nephew and I drove to Ontario and flew to a remote fishing lake on a float plane.
Great time, always meant to do it again, but haven't.
My next flight, about 3 years later, was on a non-stop flight from St Louis to Honolulu aboard a 747.
I've flown commercial a few times since, but the most fun by far was the float plane.

A couple years ago Mrs. Racer and I spent a few days on Orcas Island. One day we went for a scenic tour in a 1929 Travel Air.

This one:

It was a wonderful experience. The views were beautiful.

As we were returning to the airstrip at Eastsound I noticed a floatplane in the middle of the runway.

Seems the pilot forgot to lower the wheels for landing on pavement.

So we flew over to Friday Harbor to wait while the other plane was moved.

Finally, after about an hour delay we took to the sky again and returned to Eastsound.

The owner of the Travelair is a retired US Navy pilot. In the 20 years he has been flying scenic tours out of Eastsound he has taken thousands of people up, and this was the first flight that was unable to return to Eastsound without incident.

For the pilot of the floatplane it was the second time he forgot to drop the wheels before landing.
04-25-2016, 09:14 AM   #25864
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It's easy to forget that the United States are, in many ways still, 50 different countries. Texas is much bigger than many countries. Some examples: France, England, New Zealand, Germany.
Only 50? Based on differences in culture and values, it would make sense to break up the western half of the country into at least 25 more.

Steve

04-25-2016, 09:31 AM   #25865
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

It's easy to forget that the United States are, in many ways still, 50 different countries. Texas is much bigger than many countries. Some examples: France, England, New Zealand, Germany.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Only 50? Based on differences in culture and values, it would make sense to break up the western half of the country into at least 25 more.

Steve

Let's not leave out Puerto Rico and Guam.
04-25-2016, 09:50 AM   #25866
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Based on differences in culture and values, it would make sense to break up the western half of the country into at least 25 more.
If we go that way, NC alone would have to be at least a half-dozen countries - a handful of "blue" city-states surrounded by at least two "red" rural areas (you might be able to combine piedmont and coastal plain, but the mountain counties have a separate heritage and culture); you'd also have to divide the rural areas by race (as our gerrymandered house districts already do), plus one country for the Cherokees and one for the Lumbees.
04-25-2016, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #25867
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
For the pilot of the floatplane it was the second time he forgot to drop the wheels before landing.
Oops!

We were fogged in the day a plane was supposed to pick us up at our lake cabin, so no return flight to the main lodge that day.
It was just as foggy the next day, so we were surprised to hear an approaching plane, and then seeing it land on the lake.
It seems the lodge owners had brought in a crack bush pilot to get us hauled out and the next group of fishermen brought in.

We loaded up, took off, and then landed shortly thereafter on another lake.
The pilot asked Anyone have a pocket knife?
He borrowed mine, worked on and fixed his headset, said he was having a problem communicating with control back at the lodge.
Pretty exciting stuff for my second ever flight.

04-25-2016, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #25868
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Ouch. But it could be worse.

The first time I visited Namibia a saw this guy taking tourists for acro-flights in his Pitts Special. I never got around to go with him back then, unfortunately. So, when years later I was going back with my wife I checked with a friend if this this guy still operated. After all, I had managed to convince my lady that it wasn't dangerous. Now, the reply I got was "Unfortunately the acrobatic flight no longer happens - the pilot had an unfortunate accident (with the side of a mountain)" - which sort of made my assurances look a bit... hollow. Of course, compared to the fate of the pilot that's nothing to complain about.

Oh, and he didn't crash in his Pitts. He was doing a medevac at night. Most unfortunate.
04-25-2016, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #25869
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
After using real maple syrup I can no longer use the fake stuff.
Fun fact: young Vermonters are taught from an early age to taste the difference between real and fake maple syrup, and even to guess grades of the real stuff. No joke.
04-25-2016, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #25870
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Seems the pilot forgot to lower the wheels for landing on pavement.
Could'a been worse...

(the pilot said he didn't know what happened - the weather was good, and he regularly lands on the lake, but the plane rolled three times. Fortunately, no one was hurt.)

04-25-2016, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #25871
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
Fun fact: young Vermonters are taught from an early age to taste the difference between real and fake maple syrup, and even to guess grades of the real stuff. No joke.
No such problem with Karo...it's all good!

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
the pilot had an unfortunate accident
Always check your oil!

...and hope the runway gets bigger real fast!
04-25-2016, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #25872
Pentaxian

Hiya ZoeB, wassup? we haven't seen your smiling avatar in here lately, did you accidentally get some lutefisk contamination?
04-25-2016, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #25873
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Where the heck have you been?
Two months and you don't write?!?!
04-25-2016, 09:21 PM   #25874
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Where the heck have you been?
Two months and you don't write?!?!
Got in a bit of a kerfuffle with russia and a misplaced weather balloon. So you know, WWIII-prevention. Sorry.
04-26-2016, 01:16 AM   #25875
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Fun facts 1.0: One 737 takes off or lands every 1.7 seconds.

On average over 2.400 737's are in the air at any given time.