QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Shirley excluded, of course. Right?

04-30-2016, 06:45 AM - 2 Likes   #26057
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I'm sure Jean isn't one of the 99% that gives the other 1% an undeserved bad name.
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote

And he has a great sense of humor too!
04-30-2016, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #26058
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Salesmen, politicians, lawyers.......this used to be a clean thread with naked girls, naked squirrels, Velveeta, bacon, and beer. I could let my squirrels roam free here, now I have to put a parental block on it to keep the little blind orphan squirrels from viewing such filth.
04-30-2016, 07:08 AM - 2 Likes   #26059
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Salesmen, politicians, lawyers....... .
Speaking of politicians ... Gov. "Le Petomane" always made me giggle a bit ... read this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_P%C3%A9tomane

04-30-2016, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #26060
Veteran Member

now I have to put a parental block on it to keep the little blind orphan squirrels from viewing such filth.
I should have seen it coming...The little blind orphan squirrels have hired Lawyer Louie Squirrel to represent them in a class action suit that alleges I have discriminated against the blind. Makes perfect "lawyer sense".

Louie Lawyer
04-30-2016, 10:08 AM   #26061
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
The sun actually does shine there - it's just very narrow light
It is my understanding that narrow light is the source of many of the total light problems associated with APS-C lens equivalence. Sometimes the light is so narrow that it completely misses the iris diaphragm and simply bounces back out the front of the lens.

Steve

(...heard this only happens on Sigma products...maybe Sony too...)
04-30-2016, 10:10 AM - 2 Likes   #26062
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Citation or didn't happen. Which journal?!
Journal of Irreproducible Results

The Journal of Irreproducible Results

Steve

04-30-2016, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #26063
Veteran Member

I love how statistics are manipulated.

100 non coffee drinkers suffered one heart attack in the group over a six month period.

100 coffee drinkers suffered two heart attacks over a six month period in the group. So.......

New Research shows coffee drinkers have twice the chance of a heart attack in any given six month period.

Otis has done his own research and now finds that it is possible to have light in Uranus......and lots of other things too!

Name:  Flashlight.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  136.2 KB
04-30-2016, 11:20 AM   #26064
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is my understanding that narrow light is the source of many of the total light problems associated with APS-C lens equivalence. Sometimes the light is so narrow that it completely misses the iris diaphragm and simply bounces back out the front of the lens.

Steve

(...heard this only happens on Sigma products...maybe Sony too...)
I have heard the same bouncing can happen with rational thought, even with broad thoughts of obvious rationality. Rumours have it this phenomenon can be witnessed with alarming frequency on the News & rumours section.

04-30-2016, 01:21 PM   #26065
Veteran Member

I love how statistics are manipulated.

100 non coffee drinkers suffered one heart attack in the group over a six month period.

100 coffee drinkers suffered two heart attacks over a six month period in the group. So.......
In reality statistical methods are obviously advanced enough to not make researcher arrive at such silly conclusions Its mostly bad journalism that blows results out of proportion that creates this skewed public perception of science.
04-30-2016, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #26066
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In reality statistical methods are obviously advanced enough to not make researcher arrive at such silly conclusions
There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.
04-30-2016, 01:40 PM   #26067
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
What fun! By us, the trick was to run from the dormitory to the nearest Police station, a distance of some 1.5km, (almost a mile) and back, after touching the wall of the Police station. With nothing on. This was an event for both guys and girls.

Otis approved activity?
04-30-2016, 01:56 PM   #26068
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Otis approved activity?
Absolutely!

In reality statistical methods are obviously advanced enough to not make researcher arrive at such silly conclusions Its mostly bad journalism that blows results out of proportion that creates this skewed public perception of science.
Yep, but the advertising media uses the methods that best put their product in the brightest light. It's like all those ads for meds that are so wonderful, excepting that they kill you. It's just a minor inconvenience.

Trading stiff joints for rigor mortis is not a great trade, unless you are in the pharmaceutical business.
04-30-2016, 02:03 PM   #26069
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My adventures in North American airports have continued. Today arrived in Washington DC at Reagan. Even in the capital of the richest country in the world they could not manage to put up a sign, and have it up to date, or even to update the computer screens, to tell which baggage claim belt actually had the baggage from the flight I was on. Even in some pretty poor countries I have been to they can manage better than that!
04-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #26070
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
My adventures in North American airports have continued. Today arrived in Washington DC at Reagan. Even in the capital of the richest country in the world they could not manage to put up a sign, and have it up to date, or even to update the computer screens, to tell which baggage claim belt actually had the baggage from the flight I was on. Even in some pretty poor countries I have been to they can manage better than that!
A showcase for the world's technology leader...

Steve