Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2016, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #26251
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Go easy on him Jim. Way up there in Norwaytown the sun is still only up for 20 minutes or so each day, it rarely gets warmer than freezing and there is snow so deep that homes are no more than a bump on the horizon.

Savoche's brain may still be a tad frozen.

Once it warms up and the snow melts, he should realize that pre-cooked bacon is every bit as good as the kind you actually have to get the kitchen messy for.

(Truth be told, sunrise is now at 5am, sunset at 9pm. Summer is coming )

I still like my food cooked, though, not pre-cooked

05-07-2016, 11:40 AM   #26252
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
ADSL is unfortunately the most usual Internet connection we have in Australia ... it deteriorates at distance from the exchange.

Your house must really push it, Racer X!
When I was there I had ADSL about 3 miles from the exchange. Was good for about 3-5Mbps. Made it a bit marginal if my wife was streaming video and my daughter her lectures and me just trying to do email. Since I was paying I had always wished I could set my router to give priority to my machine, which would still leave the others with most of their bandwidth instead f me being the one who missed out. But the way Australia is organised reduces the risks of arbitrary decision to not supply, like racer referred to. If a company chooses to be in the business it must provide under a universal service obligation, or pay into a fund so another company can.

---------- Post added 05-08-16 at 05:12 AM ----------

Maybe.

[COLOR=silver]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#dfdfdf]

Can't where I live. No cell service.

But the landline is new enough that it supports ADSL. Not bad really. Streams video onto the new 4k 55 inch flat screen on the wall very well.

And the TV cable is fiber optic.

Nice.

Well, except that it is a mile or so from the house. And the CATV carrier won't run an extension down our road.

I guess 24 potential customers isn't enough for a mile of cable.

Oh.

And there is no off air TV either. Since the guvmint mandated the digital broadcast change we no longer get reception. Even though the digital signal is way better, it doesn't travel as far as the good old fashioned analog one.

So we have a satellite dish.
Digital transmission has become very popular/fashionable. But it has the nasty characteristic of either working well or not at all. Analog had a more graceful degradation, particularly AM. FM tended to provide connection or no connection, more like digital.

---------- Post added 05-08-16 at 05:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I have a Tracfone flippy....seldom use it. Currently have almost 600 minutes available. Cost is about $8. a month. I'm not into all those fancy phones and am not really a phone type person, so this one does just fine for me.
Attachment 308916

OTOH- I recently bought Mrs Rupert a new Microsoft smart phone to go with her new Microsoft smart watch and new Microsoft big screen computer. She had been using and old Sprint flip phone for almost 10 years. She is a phone person and is in "phone heaven" with her new phone. It coordinates with her Microsoft Band and she keeps track of her Zoomba class exercises and other daily physical activities with ease.

I used her Band one day when she left it home....burned a whopping 14 calories!

Regards!
I now have an HTC smart phone. My daughter bought it, and gave it to my wife. My wife looked at it and said it did not have a picture of an apple on it, so she did not want it. Therefore it became mine. My daughter already had an HTC. Now my daughter has one with a picture of an apple.
05-07-2016, 12:11 PM   #26253
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just having my morning coffee and surfing the innerwebs.

Look at how the air spills over the Wings. Aren't wings amazing? No other part of an airplane is as functional and necessary as wings. Without them an airplane is nothing more than a tube, like a bus railway or subway car.

Bound by the surly bonds of Earth, never to break free.

Of course it is also the best commercial airliner built too.

But I suppose I am biased there, am I right?
05-07-2016, 12:14 PM   #26254
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I still like my food cooked, though, not pre-cooked
Cooked?

Pre-cooked?

It is still cooked.

Just the latter is more convenient, time saving. The pre-cooked version doesn't have any more preservatives than the kind you gotta dirty a skillet for. If I'm gonna dirty a skillet, then I might as well go all in and actually make my own, start to finish like @robtcorl

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote

I'll leave you with some slices of my cinnamon and Maple Sugar bacon.
Now that is worth getting a skillet dirty.

05-07-2016, 12:31 PM   #26255
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Another one I stumbled upon. This is the 777 Flight Test crew performing extreme crosswind landings at Edwards AFB. The crappy video quality was state of the art 20 years ago.

05-07-2016, 12:52 PM   #26256
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

This is the 777 Flight Test crew performing extreme crosswind landings at Edwards AFB.
That's some scary stuff. I was once on a 707 many years ago that made a sideways landing in heavy crosswinds . I couldn't see it so much from my side window but I could feel it and it was very strange.

It's possible, but no more than Otis on being the world's most handsome squirrel!

Regards!

Just shot this for another thread.....it's my new shop ceiling. It is unique and very attractive.....so I thought I'd show it off here too!
More work than you can imagine....took forever.

---------- Post added 05-07-16 at 02:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Living in the brain-roasting heat of Texas you have no idea what frozen testies can do to your mood - so don't push it. I'm sure I have that axe from Eric the Red's time somewhere.

Oh well, nothing that chewing some mushrooms can't cure
Well, that could be very discouraging for sure. However, it is another case where a few minutes in the microwave can thaw frozen nuts as well as cook bacon. Here in Texas, nuts roast naturally without any help!
05-07-2016, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #26257
Pentaxian

Just having my morning coffee and surfing the innerwebs.

Look at how the air spills over the Wings. Aren't wings amazing? No other part of an airplane is as functional and necessary as wings. Without them an airplane is nothing more than a tube, like a bus railway or subway car.

Bound by the surly bonds of Earth, never to break free.

Emirates 777 wake vortex spectacular! - YouTube

Of course it is also the best commercial airliner built too.

That runway looked a bit lumpy!

There were people at your company, way back, who said that the wing is everything. With the right wing just about anything could be made to fly. So that is why it is possible to build those extra fat EGAT 747s with the same 747 wing.

---------- Post added 05-08-16 at 07:14 AM ----------

Racer, as for your crosswind pictures - good to know it can do it, but still not nice to be on. I tell people, "just remember, the plane is tougher than you are".

05-07-2016, 02:45 PM   #26258
Veteran Member

Oh the misery!...Oh the disappointment!

Mrs Rupert is the one that ordered the K1 from B&H so all information comes to her E-mail and she passes it on to me .

I was sitting here waiting...saw the UPS truck out my office window and rushed to the door! It was a box...a big long box....and it didn't have a camera in it, it had Mothers Day flowers for Mrs Rupert from our oldest son.

So...I had her pull up her E-mails......She was correct about the K1 being shipped....for arrival on Monday 5/9. It was the flowers that were to arrive today...and they did.

All the little squirrels are so disappointed too....and hot and sweaty from waiting in the hot sun in formal wear for arrival.

Sorry for the disappointment and also for having to deal with angry squirrels that are cursing me and calling me an idiot...and worse.

I guess paying attention to detail is not on of my best strengths...but I trusted Mrs Rupert. She got flowers and I got nothing. She doesn't even seem to care, but does love her flowers. What can I say? She paid for the K1, so I am smart enough not to push my bad luck.

I guess I can wait a couple more days to be a Pro.....I've waited all these years, and it hasn't killed me.
05-07-2016, 02:51 PM   #26259
Veteran Member

Oh the misery!...Oh the disappointment!

Mrs Rupert is the one that ordered the K1 from B&H so all information comes to her E-mail and she passes it on to me .

I was sitting here waiting...saw the UPS truck out my office window and rushed to the door! It was a box...a big long box....and it didn't have a camera in it, it had Mothers Day flowers for Mrs Rupert from our oldest son.

So...I had her pull up her E-mails......She was correct about the K1 being shipped....for arrival on Monday 5/9. It was the flowers that were to arrive today...and they did.
I remember when after four years of using a trusty K-r I ordered that camera that shall not be named. Instead of using Royal Mail or DHL Amazon sent it through one of these dodgy courier services that have a horrible track record and thousands of bad reviews, and make you drive to a depot 30 miles away in case you're not in when they're coming around. I paced up and down at the living room window like a panther in a cage every time I was home, it was such a torture. In the end it arrived three days late, but when I unboxed it and first attached a lens and fired off a shot ... oh, what a feeling that was
05-07-2016, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #26260
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
That runway looked a bit lumpy!
That's Birmingham Airport/BHX/EGBB, in the UK.

There were people at your company, way back, who said that the wing is everything. With the right wing just about anything could be made to fly.
Yes, but it requires a left wing too.

Of course thrust is always a consideration too. These jet engines put out thrust measured in six figures.

So that is why it is possible to build those extra fat EGAT 747s with the same 747 wing.

This one?

They also modified the wings, h-stab and vertical fin.

And swapped the engines out for bigger ones.

I think it has bigger tires and wheels too.

Racer, as for your crosswind pictures - good to know it can do it, but still not nice to be on. I tell people, "just remember, the plane is tougher than you are".
I've been in airplanes, large and small, that have made landings like that.

My mom had an American Yankee AA1A years ago. It looked like this one (Wiki photo), but was painted Yellow.

It had fiberglass struts for the main gear that also were the springs. She said that they were tough, and flexible enough that the plane could be landed hard enough to make the wheels hit the bottom of the wings and not break the struts off.

I never thought to ask if it would break the wings off.

In all the hundreds of flights I went on with her she always made the landings. Even though I had the controls many times for takeoff and flight, she never allowed me to make a landing. Apparently she felt that her efforts to bounce the wheels off of the wings were good enough.

Seriously.

She was a great pilot, but never did get the hang of putting that plane down gently.

But she always announced at the end of every touchdown, "Any landing you can walk away from was a good one."

*sigh*

I dunno, I would always want to grease it. Every time.

She sold it to a guy in California. He was on a trip to Osh Kosh or some such and ran low on fuel over Kansas. Fearing he wouldn't make it to the next airstrip he attempted a landing in a wheatfield. Unfortunatley the field had just been plowed. The landing gear sank into the freshly tilled earth and the plane did a ground loop. The pilot escaped with minor injury.

The airframe was a total loss.

*double sigh*

Last edited by Racer X 69; 05-07-2016 at 03:27 PM.
05-07-2016, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #26261
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

.She was correct about the K1 being shipped....for arrival on Monday
You'll have to ring Vogue and National Geographic, to tell them you won't be strutting like a peacock until Monday. ☺

I got mine on Friday.

When I opened the box, golden shafts of light and the sounds of a heavenly choir came out and filled the room!

Last edited by clackers; 05-07-2016 at 04:08 PM.
05-07-2016, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #26262
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You'll have to ring Vogue and National Geographic, to tell them you won't be strutting like a peacock until Monday. ☺
Yes, it is so disappointing...and here it is World Pentax Day and I was planning on stunning everyone on the site with pixel shifted squirrels in tuxedos and evening gowns. What a let down!

Racer that is a neat story about your Mom! It must have been some fun times.

When I was about 19-20 I lived in Guthrie Okla for a few months and managed a little shoe store there. The town at that time was very dead and if I had 3-4 customers it was a busy day. I had Thursdays off and there was not much of anything to do....a little fishing in the muddy creek that ran through town, but never caught a thing.

Just outside town was a small airport with a couple of large hangars and I went out there one day to look at the planes. There was an older guy, maybe 35 that was working on several small planes and he was very friendly and we struck up a friendship. He took me up in several of the planes in his care and it was great fun and beat the fishing all to hell.

He had his own plane, it was in his words a piece of junk and had two different colored wings and a red tail with yellow stripes.
He was always working on it trying to make something decent, and he seemed to know plenty about what he was doing, although he was unshaven and unkept, always had a cigar dangling from his mouth and cussed a lot. One Thursday he said he needed to check out some repairs and asked if I wanted to go up with him. It was a small two seater and sounded like a tractor...and shook a little too from vibration. We wide circled the field a few times and he began to cuss worse than usual.....one of the wheels had fallen off and you could see it on the runway near the end. He didn't seem overly concerned about landing but was about damaging the strut. He brought it in soft as a feather and at the very last second the strut touched the ground without dragging or any noticeable damage. I felt pretty relieved and secure enough in his ability that I flew with him many times after that....but did remind him to check the wheels.

I though of him when my Jeep wheel came off.....at least I was on the ground already! So many people in our past days.... too many to recall all of them. I wonder about them and their futures. That guy....and I can't remember his name to save my soul.... desired to make enough cash to get a good plane and be a bush pilot in Alaska. I hope he made it.
05-07-2016, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #26263
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pre-cooked bacon can come in handy on a busy week night I guess.
Not allowed on weekends.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-07-2016, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #26264
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When I was a kid we bought canned, uncooked bacon to take camping. The brand was Danka.
One time my dad commented on how good it was. I asked him why he didn't buy it for home instead of fresh bacon, since it was so good.
I could see the "duh!" light bulb go on.
We had Danka canned bacon from then on.
05-07-2016, 03:54 PM   #26265
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But the landline is new enough that it supports ADSL. Not bad really. Streams video onto the new 4k 55 inch flat screen on the wall very well.
I am a cheap bastard, only paying for 20MB cable connection (they give us 24 ) and it is not good enough for 4K content. Need about 30+ for Un-buffered. I refuse to pay for the 70 MB available...