Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108811 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2016, 09:43 PM   #26311
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
They are getting very aggressive in Australia ... they sense real weakness in the established supermarket chains.
Yes, see the WOW share price. The market is having a 50% off sale (compared with 2 years ago) and no-one is cheering. A year ago the CEO complained that Costco in Australia was going to really hurt WOW. I thought, if he really liked business he would buy a Costco membership so he could go in and look and ask the fun question for an entrepreneur seeing a new business: "how can these guys make profit doing this?"

I like doing that when I see things like share investment schemes advertising guaranteed capital protection and 80% of price appreciation. (Secret, that one is quite easy: the principal in that scheme holds a package of shares and options with appropriate strike prices and expiry dates.)

Actually, good for Australia to get some competition back in the supermarket business, there are two really big ones: WOW and Coles, with about 80% of the market.

---------- Post added 05-09-16 at 03:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Coming to Pierre soon?

There is a rumor, though, that we may someday git some of that there, whatchacallit, lectricity and mebe evin some indoor plumin.
A real grocery store? Pft........
Fortunately our son and his fiance live in Sioux Falls so we have a good excuse to visit.
I told Mrs Parallax that once it's open we'll light the fridge in the camper and take another road trip.
Some intrusive guy wants to modernise you, eh?

By doing that imagine all the new kinds of things they can sell you.

Last edited by tim60; 05-08-2016 at 09:49 PM.
05-09-2016, 01:16 AM   #26312
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Actually, good for Australia to get some competition back in the supermarket business, there are two really big ones: WOW and Coles, with about 80% of the market.
It's funny how wherever you go the cheap supermarkets are the German ones. In Canberra I usually bought everything I could get from Aldi, and the fancier stuff from Supabarn. Here in Dundee it's Lidl for most stuff and Tesco for the rest.

Somehow the fancier German brands like Rewe and Edeka don't expand internationally, it's just the cheap ones
05-09-2016, 01:34 AM   #26313
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
It's funny how wherever you go the cheap supermarkets are the German ones. In Canberra I usually bought everything I could get from Aldi, and the fancier stuff from Supabarn.
One of the two dominant players here has just had a completely disastrous foray into the hardware superstore business. Their operating costs are now high to cover this mess and Aldi are really kicking their opponent while they're down.

As a consumer, I am of course cheering.
05-09-2016, 01:47 AM   #26314
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get this.

I'm a little bored this evening, and can't sleep. So I was just stumbling around here looking for discussions that interested me. After all, that's why we're here, right?

Well, I won't bore you with all the tedious details, but I made the RSS feed for Pentax Forums. And if you click on it you are whisked away to the following announcement.

Racer Is In The News!

Now I have seen the RSS feed thing a time or two, kinda know what it is all about but never really got into it. I even read the other day that RSS feeds may be on the way out. But hey, somehow my boredom and the desire to try and help out some fellow forum members may just save the RSS thing.

In celebration, I'd like to cordially invite all of you over to Racer's Playhouse.

Stop on by, have a look around. Sniff the new upholstery. Take your shoes off and feel the carpet on your toes. Make yourself at home.

I'd be honored if you did.

Join up.

The dues are cheap.

Certainly you will find a reason there to not buy a K3.

And the Live Hocir does not dwell there.

05-09-2016, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #26315
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Joined. Wannabe.
05-09-2016, 04:52 AM   #26316
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What's a K1?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/314224-pentax-k-1-o...ml#post3536174
05-09-2016, 05:12 AM   #26317
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
What's a K1?
Come on!!
Try and stay on track; it is what Mrs Rupert is buying Rupert to replace the perfectly good camera that he threw on the floor.

05-09-2016, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #26318
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Stop on by, have a look around. Sniff the new upholstery. Take your shoes off and feel the carpet on your toes. Make yourself at home.

I'd be honored if you did.

Join up.
Not sure I want to be a part of that....we are already being accused of being elitists. Just because I am about to be a Pro, and better than everyone else, is no reason for me to get all uppity.

People are afraid, they are worried. I intend to be a "Compassionate Pro", mixing and mingling with the lower classes just as if they mattered. I even intend to get my damaged K5 repaired if possible so I can prove "I'm just one of you guys....see!".

This being a Pro is gonna be tough, but Otis assures me it is worth it when I start humiliating APS-C shooters with eye-popping pixel shifted squirrel shots.

Worried people...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/132-pentaxian-lounge/320575-will-we-stay-...e-cliques.html

Regards!
05-09-2016, 06:07 AM   #26319
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Come on!!
Try and stay on track; it is what Mrs Rupert is buying Rupert to replace the perfectly good camera that he threw on the floor.
No, that would be a K-1.
05-09-2016, 08:16 AM - 2 Likes   #26320
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I intend to be a "Compassionate Pro", mixing and mingling with the lower classes just as if they mattered.
Will it look something like this?

05-09-2016, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #26321
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Not sure I want to be a part of that....we are already being accused of being elitists. Just because I am about to be a Pro, and better than everyone else, is no reason for me to get all uppity.

People are afraid, they are worried. I intend to be a "Compassionate Pro", mixing and mingling with the lower classes just as if they mattered. I even intend to get my damaged K5 repaired if possible so I can prove "I'm just one of you guys....see!".

This being a Pro is gonna be tough, but Otis assures me it is worth it when I start humiliating APS-C shooters with eye-popping pixel shifted squirrel shots.

Worried people...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/132-pentaxian-lounge/320575-will-we-stay-...e-cliques.html

Regards!
Can we call you Ken, Mr Rockwell?

05-09-2016, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #26322
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Will it look something like this?
Pretty much!

Otis noted that some PC cop corrected my post, and eliminated someone elses......He also reminded me that this is a family site, and I should be ashamed of making a typing error and then blaming it on him.

So I offer up my apology to those that let their little children roam free here. You gotta know they are going to grow up with warped little minds and bulging bodies filled with bacon, lewdfish , and Velveeta.

Otis also notes that the "offensive object" in question is most likely the first thing those little kiddies ever saw in this world....but we sure as heck don't want them to know that!

Regards!

---------- Post added 05-09-16 at 10:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Can we call you Ken, Mr Rockwell?
That is disgusting! I've seen him praise various APS-C cameras........all Nikons, of course.....you know I'd never do a thing like that!

EDIT: Otis demanded that I add this for those that did catch a glimpse of the post before it was removed......

"They were real, and they were spectacular! "

Last edited by Rupert; 05-09-2016 at 08:37 AM.
05-09-2016, 08:52 AM   #26323
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico

So are you a groupie, or a wannabe?
05-09-2016, 09:21 AM   #26324
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know because I still don't know what a K1 is.
05-09-2016, 09:34 AM   #26325
Veteran Member

I just realized that my above post was in regards to a post over in the Lounge...not here. I explained it here....more or less....

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/132-pentaxian-lounge/320575-will-we-stay-...cliques-2.html

One more apology to any PC cops I slandered. You have to remember I am old, have dementia, and two broken feet, so I hope you will be forgiving!

Otis reminds...old fools should never go out on a limb....

Regards!