Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2016, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #26461
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Trying out some video editing from the WG-10 today, I took it along on my test runs with an improvised underwater selfie stick
You don't seem too confident in the stability of this kayak

05-14-2016, 12:11 PM   #26462
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

This is their website link to the model I got. The blue color scheme is what I picked out. It's a line designed for fishing, so it is super stable and easy to reach all the storage spots on the water. Lots of rod holders, gear tracks, etc.
It does look like a cool boat, though. Never saw one before. The fact that you can pull out the propeller system and have a more conventional kayak is nice, too, in case you want to visit shallow waters.
05-14-2016, 01:14 PM   #26463
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
But, but... Where's the 1/4" for your gimbal?
There's a standard 1/4-20 thread socket at the top of the drive assembly. Gopro mounts are common in the fishing community, folks want records of their epic seafood battles I think.

You don't seem too confident in the stability of this kayak
Au contraire... The stick was underwater so I could record how the drive looks in operation. I created the stick from bits and peices just so I can poke the camera down a bit more than arms length 😎

It does look like a cool boat, though. Never saw one before. The fact that you can pull out the propeller system and have a more conventional kayak is nice, too, in case you want to visit shallow waters.
Yes indeed. It would be about the same as paddling my other boat.

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
A pedal operated propeller. Interesting. Looks like the seat is up high, almost like a sit on top kayak.

Certainly not something one would take down a river with shallow rapids though.
Yep. The drive's a good solid, self-contained unit that needs little upkeep other than greasing the gears periodically. The seat does put you up a wee bit higher than the Hobie, but certainly not enough to feel the tiniest bit uncomfortable about it.

There are folks who use these in all kind of waters, but it's definitely not designed for being a whitewater boat... I have seen videos of guys dragging them thru shallow riffles but not something I would be doing! My intended use will be out in the Sound and lakes, or some of our larger local rivers.

Jim
05-14-2016, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #26464
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

There are folks who use these in all kind of waters, but it's definitely not designed for being a whitewater boat... I have seen videos of guys dragging them thru shallow riffles but not something I would be doing! My intended use will be out in the Sound and lakes, or some of our larger local rivers.
That is really neat! It would be perfect for a trip down that river in Ft worth.....it would, I probably wouldn't. You should have a lot of fun with it!

...." old guy found drowned upside down in a kayak on the Trinity River ...still clutching his K1 camera."

Regards!

05-14-2016, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #26465
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
...." old guy found drowned upside down in a kayak on the Trinity River ...still clutching his K1 camera."
Umm... Shouldn't that be ..." old Pro found drowned upside down in a kayak on the Trinity River ...still clutching his K1 camera"?

05-14-2016, 01:53 PM - 2 Likes   #26466
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't worry. The K-1 water resistant.
05-14-2016, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #26467
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Annabadabingbadaboom! Wassamattayou?

I won't buy a K-3 because I just blew a big old chunk o' change on a new kayak, one you pedal instead of paddle. Going to be much easier on the neck/shoulder/hand that way. 😎
I'm a kayaker, Roxndox, and thinking they shouldn't be sore if your technique's right - minimum use of those muscles, but back nice and upright, economically twisting your trunk each stroke instead of trying to do everything from the arms.

The pedal units on yaks I've seen were just to allow re-positioning while you had your hands full with the rod and gear, not really to get from A to B. Seems interesting, let us know how it all goes.

Land, sea or air, this thread's got it covered, why would you go anywhere else? ☺

05-14-2016, 02:19 PM   #26468
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep. Land, sea, and air. Lutefisk/pickled herring, bacon/bbq, and airplanes.
It doesn't get any better than that!

As to propulsion kayaks -
I used to carry Hobie. They have a line of pedaled kayaks that utilize a pair of fins that stick down through the hull. They are absolutely for propulsion and do a really good job.
From the looks of it I suspect the one Jim bought is going to cruise right along as well.

Last edited by Parallax; 05-14-2016 at 02:29 PM.
05-14-2016, 03:00 PM   #26469
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
!

As to propulsion kayaks -
I used to carry Hobie. They have a line of pedaled kayaks that utilize a pair of fins that stick down through the hull. They are absolutely for propulsion and do a really good job.
From the looks of it I suspect the one Jim bought is going to cruise right along as well.
Yeah, I can see they're way more serious than the ones I've encountered.

I guess they're like 'bent' bikes. I'm not a fan of how you can't get your torso involved, but legs are more efficient than arms, and hey, you can lie back consuming a BLT!

05-14-2016, 03:55 PM   #26470
Veteran Member

Question....seriously...do your ankles have to move much when pedaling? Like on a bike or with less rotation of the ankle joints? Not that it would be anything I need but who knows? That stretch of the Trinity River has enticed me for years. They have found a lot of dead bodies there over the years..it is on the edge of downtown and there is a couple of bridges then it turns into a very remote area with nothing but dense woods. Lots of wildlife in there besides just the dead bodies.
When I worked at the police dept....years ago...a friend went on a rescue mission downriver and said he saw more wildlife than he had ever seen anywhere in this area. A few gators are known to reside there too. Damn I wish I was a few years younger!

Regards!
05-14-2016, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #26471
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not buying the K3 because this looks more interesting
Attached Images

05-14-2016, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #26472
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
and hey, you can lie back consuming a BLT!
Or a VB
05-14-2016, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #26473
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yep. Land, sea, and air.
SEAL, sea air and land?
05-14-2016, 05:02 PM - 2 Likes   #26474
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Question....seriously...do your ankles have to move much when pedaling? Like on a bike or with less rotation of the ankle joints? Not that it would be anything I need but who knows? That stretch of the Trinity River has enticed me for years. They have found a lot of dead bodies there over the years..it is on the edge of downtown and there is a couple of bridges then it turns into a very remote area with nothing but dense woods. Lots of wildlife in there besides just the dead bodies.
When I worked at the police dept....years ago...a friend went on a rescue mission downriver and said he saw more wildlife than he had ever seen anywhere in this area. A few gators are known to reside there too. Damn I wish I was a few years younger!

Regards!
You can position your feet on the pedals in such a way that your ankles do not have to flex at all. It's not the most efficient way, but if you put your arch, or a bit more towards the heel on the pedals, the ankle does not need to flex at all.
The ideal situation, of course, would be to stay off of roofs so ankle issues would not be a factor.
05-14-2016, 05:06 PM   #26475
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Plumbers make poor roofers?