Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2016, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #26581
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I just emerged from an exam bubble - finished the last one of my degree yesterday. Now I'm free.

Did I miss anything?
Congratulations! You did miss a little...very little!

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Rupert turned Pro, and started wearing these:
Yep, those are the ones!

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I don't care if almost everybody is wearing sneakers these days, these are seriously nice shoes! No sarcasm.
Agree, but they hurt my feet and made little squirrels scared and big ones laugh.

Yesterday, somewhere on this vast Forum I posted my abdication of Pro status and returned to being just plain old Rupert, a budding amateur. The clothes were uncomfortable and old ladies laughed at me when I was in Aldis......as well as the squirrels when I went outside. A raccoon damn near took one of my feet off.....apparently it looked like a tasty meal. I don't think I am Pro material.....I just hope Mrs Rupert will let me keep theK1 now that I have gone back to my Farm Pants, Farm Boots, and beloved straw hat.

If you like those shoes you can find them at the local Goodwill here, they weren't too comfortable anyhow.

The old Rupert you know (and love???) is back!

Regards!
The Old Rupert

BTW- If the top of your hat comes off, Gorilla tape can work wonders on putting it back together! It's like duct tape on steroids!

05-18-2016, 12:47 AM   #26582
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Now THAT'S a truck!

At about 3:15 or so in this video there is a later K100 with a stand up sleeper. Red with lots of chrome.

(This event isn't in the same locale as the others I posted, and the trailers are different. The premise is the same though, run what ya brung and pull a fully loaded trailer up a hill.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tz-pOTiBmY#t=297.2819687
05-18-2016, 01:16 AM   #26583
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
BTW- If the top of your hat comes off, Gorilla tape can work wonders on putting it back together! It's like duct tape on steroids!

Gorilla tape is the best.

I don't even buy regular duct tape any more.

At that airplane place I work at there is way more than a hundred kinds of tape. They got tape for everything. Riveting. Marking the plane. Marking the tool(s). Marking the floor. Clear tape. Colored tape. Paper tape. Plastic tape. Tape with words or phrases repeating endlessly. Two sided onionskin tape. Two sided duct (more like gorilla tape) tape. Duct (again, more like gorilla tape) tape made to match the final color of the plane (remember, every plane is custom built to the customer's spec, including color). Scotch tape. Packaging tape, Impact tape. Teflon tape (I used to get rolls of this at Boeing surplus before they closed it, great stuff. Used it on certain parts of my race car to lube custom suspension pivots I made, among other things.) A tool that prints words, symbols and numbers on a strip of tape to mark tools, lockers, doors, locations for everything, even the fridge, microwave, table and chairs in the break rooms. Metal (aluminum, way thicker than the foil in your kitchen) tape. Rolls of round aluminum foil discs in many different diameters. Rolls of tape with a pattern and the repeating logo of each program, 747, 767, 787, 777, etc. The quality assurance inspectors have special tape in special colors to mark defects and discrepancies. Masking tape, in blue (the most common), green, orange, yellow, black (Really? I never!) Several types of cellophane tape, in colors, transparent like the colored plastic gels used in photography, only just a few mils thick.

And when the keys to the shiny new plane are handed over to the customer, there is not one bit of tape anywhere on it.

But gorilla tape is the best.

Like the helicopter tape my dad used to bring home in his lunchbox when he was in the US Navy.

Only his stuff was OD green.
05-18-2016, 01:19 AM   #26584
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Jim, what the heck is that in your hands?

You didn't give up the K-1 too, did you?

05-18-2016, 01:31 AM   #26585
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

How about this paint?

Oh, and notice the European cabover tractor. Mercedes?
05-18-2016, 01:53 AM - 2 Likes   #26586
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, what I learnt today is that the greatest planes in the world are held together by duct tape...

05-18-2016, 02:04 AM - 2 Likes   #26587
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Ok, what I learnt today is that the greatest planes in the world are held together by duct tape...
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
And when the keys to the shiny new plane are handed over to the customer, there is not one bit of tape anywhere on it.

Only until the glue dries.

05-18-2016, 02:11 AM - 2 Likes   #26588
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Only until the glue dries.
Thanks for clearing that up. Should take away any worries anyone should have for flying
05-18-2016, 02:35 AM   #26589
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Thanks for clearing that up. Should take away any worries anyone should have for flying

I always thought that, in a effort to get them as light as possible, the fuselage and wing skins were very thin.

Boy was I mistaken!

In some places the wing skins are about 1" thick.
05-18-2016, 03:20 AM - 1 Like   #26590
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I always thought that, in a effort to get them as light as possible, the fuselage and wing skins were very thin.

Boy was I mistaken!

In some places the wing skins are about 1" thick.
Indeed, that's quite thick. I suppose things have evolved since these things went aloft...

A bit of a digression (yes, I know, in this thread of all places!), now with all the newfangled materials, do planes behave differently when hit by lightning than they did with metal skin?

(Just to further calm the nerves of the elevationally challenged...)
05-18-2016, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #26591
bxf
Veteran Member

If you like those shoes you can find them at the local Goodwill here
OK, I'm practically on my way. Just have to get a price on Portugal-Texas flight...
05-18-2016, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #26592
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
BTW- If the top of your hat comes off, Gorilla tape can work wonders on putting it back together!
Sam says get yourself some of the clear gorilla tape, it's much more flattering for a former Pro.

05-18-2016, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #26593
Veteran Member

At that airplane place I work at there is way more than a hundred kinds of tape. They got tape for everything. Riveting. Marking the plane. Marking the tool(s). Marking the floor. Clear tape. Colored tape. Paper tape. Plastic tape. Tape with words or phrases repeating endlessly. Two sided onionskin tape. Two sided duct (more like gorilla tape) tape. Duct (again, more like gorilla tape) tape made to match the final color of the plane (remember, every plane is custom built to the customer's spec, including color). Scotch tape. Packaging tape, Impact tape. Teflon tape (I used to get rolls of this at Boeing surplus before they closed it, great stuff. Used it on certain parts of my race car to lube custom suspension pivots I made, among other things.) A tool that prints words, symbols and numbers on a strip of tape to mark tools, lockers, doors, locations for everything, even the fridge, microwave, table and chairs in the break rooms. Metal (aluminum, way thicker than the foil in your kitchen) tape. Rolls of round aluminum foil discs in many different diameters. Rolls of tape with a pattern and the repeating logo of each program, 747, 767, 787, 777, etc. The quality assurance inspectors have special tape in special colors to mark defects and discrepancies. Masking tape, in blue (the most common), green, orange, yellow, black (Really? I never!) Several types of cellophane tape, in colors, transparent like the colored plastic gels used in photography, only just a few mils thick.
Red Green would think he died and went to heaven!

I think I've watched every Red Green show ever. Many more times than my favorite movie The Good Bad & Ugly.

Being out of duct tape is almost like being out of bacon. Almost......

---------- Post added 05-18-16 at 07:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
OK, I'm practically on my way. Just have to get a price on Portugal-Texas flight...
They aren't comfortable, you'll have corns before you get back home.
05-18-2016, 06:22 AM   #26594
Veteran Member

We have reached page 1773 - anyone keen on a tea party? I have Early Grey, some Ceylon, Masala Chai ...
05-18-2016, 08:50 AM   #26595
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
We have reached page 1773 - anyone keen on a tea party? I have Early Grey, some Ceylon, Masala Chai ...
Iced tea...yeah sure....hot tea.....not so much. I'm not into celebrating violence, I'm more a "just let it all go to hell" sort of guy. Looking around, I think I'm pretty well satisfied in that regard!

This was baffling yesterday...I looked and looked and all I saw was a brick wall. I've seen hundreds of brick wall tests...so it was sort of boring....failed to see anything of significance.

This morning I came across it on the net again....and at first glance I "saw it" ...instantly! So I conclude that my brain, squirrely as it is, worked on this overnight and gave me a new and different view today?

The next trick...once you "see it"...try to un-see it!

What does your brain see?
Name:  Brick Wall.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  190.3 KB