Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2016, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #26731
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
True, he'd be wondering, "Why has he included with his application 18 cans of whale vomit?".
It would have been funny though. I sometimes try to include little humorous snippets in my uni work, always curious about the reply. In one biology report I noted "Armadillidae who are longer also tend to be wider. Surprise.", which the marker acknowledged with a handwritten "LOL". Later I opened an essay on counterinsurgency with a quote from a review of a book by David Galula, a distinguished military theorist, which read "The best writings on counterinsurgency share with the best sex manuals the fact that their authors generally have some personal experience of their subject matter." This one went unacknowledged But I received a good grade, so at least it didn't get me in trouble

This year when submitting our Bachelor theses on the online system there was a field for 'special comments'. A lot of my classmates were feeling funny and added pointless comments, so I put in "I will have mushrooms with that, please, and don't skimp on the tuna." Still waiting on the grade, so we'll see.

05-22-2016, 06:44 PM   #26732
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Homemade cheese - way better than Velveeta.
Rupert,
You want to take this one?
He knows better...my bet is he has a good stock of Velveeta on hand right now. Truck drivers nationwide love Velveeta, and it's patriotic too.

"Someone call for me? No Velveeta for me...but I'll take some bacon!"

Regards!

---------- Post added 05-22-16 at 08:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
In one biology report I noted "Armadillidae who are longer also tend to be wider.
'dillos here are long and wide...saw one just this evening coming back from town......he was out on Hwy 4 and he wasn't long or wide, but he was plenty flat!

You don't need spellcheck...you can just call them 'dillos......
05-22-2016, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #26733
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The nearest Aldi's to me requires a passport!
Attached Images

05-22-2016, 07:07 PM   #26734
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Aha. We never got Green Acres. So, similar size town to ours. We're no State Capital though!
Link to my spot, here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/30+Kibblewhite+Rd,+Masterton+5810,+New+Zea...8!4d175.632253

You are a very long way from an Aldi Mark!

Last edited by Racer X 69; 05-22-2016 at 07:35 PM. Reason: ling long!
05-22-2016, 07:13 PM   #26735
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

It would have been funny though. I sometimes try to include little humorous snippets in my uni work, always curious about the reply. In one biology report I noted "Armadillidae who are longer also tend to be wider. Surprise.", which the marker acknowledged with a handwritten "LOL". Later I opened an essay on counterinsurgency with a quote from a review of a book by David Galula, a distinguished military theorist, which read "The best writings on counterinsurgency share with the best sex manuals the fact that their authors generally have some personal experience of their subject matter." This one went unacknowledged But I received a good grade, so at least it didn't get me in trouble

This year when submitting our Bachelor theses on the online system there was a field for 'special comments'. A lot of my classmates were feeling funny and added pointless comments, so I put in "I will have mushrooms with that, please, and don't skimp on the tuna." Still waiting on the grade, so we'll see.

Having some levity makes life more enjoyable.
05-22-2016, 07:26 PM   #26736
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
You are a very ling way from an Aldi Mark!
Ling long? LOL
05-22-2016, 07:27 PM   #26737
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

linga longa in Yarrawonga

05-22-2016, 07:33 PM   #26738
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Ling long? LOL

I really dislike this tablet.

Predictive text and touchscreens suck.
05-22-2016, 08:01 PM   #26739
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really dislike this tablet.

Predictive text and touchscreens suck.
You can be glad predictive touch got that one right!
05-22-2016, 10:29 PM   #26740
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I haven't had any goat milk in years! When I was 16 I had hepatitis A and had to watch anything with fat content for a couple of months. Goat milk became a regular staple. I got to like it, but haven't seen any around for years. You ever see it in stores?

Another favorite here is BBQ goat! Lean and delicious! When I lived in Mexico for a while in '70 there was a little place that had cabrito on rotisseries in the window front...about a dozen at a time, and they were superb. $2 American at the time and I ate a bunch of them that summer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabrito
In my experience it has got more common since I was young. When young there was one kind of milk - cow with full cream. Then milk became complicated, with all the different versions. This accommodates two trends: concern for special dietary requirements; and multiculturalism, linked to people wanting ingredients for non-dominant cuisines.
05-22-2016, 10:32 PM   #26741
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cow's milk is the best food

for calves.
05-22-2016, 10:35 PM   #26742
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
In HS (mid '60's) I had an exchange teacher from India for algebra, Mrs Williams.
She said that when she first came to the USA she thought thought "Indians" were still riding horses and 'cowboys" were fighting them.
This was from so many of our western shows on television in India.
As a side note, she was short, very short, due to this she was in front of a group of exchange teachers met by JFK, and got to shake his hand.
A whole semester and I never saw her wear the same colorful sari twice.
Fifteen years ago a student came to my office. He had the same name as the richest man in Hong Kong, according to the Fin Review, so after dealing with his business I asked him if he was related to the "rich bloke". He asked me how I knew that name. I told him I read the Fin. Left on good terms. Also happens the degree was in the technology related to the industry in which the rich man made his money.

---------- Post added 05-23-16 at 04:13 PM ----------

Here in the UK supermarkets usually sell three varieties: full cream (blue), semi-skimmed (green) and skimmed milk (red). In a delusional state emerging from a mix of curiosity and health concerns I once actually bought the skimmed one. Poured myself a glass when I came home and it literally (not 'figuratively', as many use the word 'literally' nowadays, no, LITERALLY) tasted like water that had been coloured white. I hate wasting food, but I poured the rest of it into the drain. Undrinkable.

I'm with Ron Swanson on this:

Ron Swanson Skimmed Milk - YouTube
The news this morning of the latest in medical research is that 'low fat' does not improve health.

I prefer to have leaded: full cream milk (at a push the reduced fat version), real sugar instead of factory chemicals (but have unsweetened or low sweetened things to reduce intake), the real caffeine version of coffee (what chemicals do they use to decaffeinate it?), and if you want decaffeinated tea brew very quickly ( a few seconds) and pour off the liquor, then brew normally. (Caffeine is one of the first things to be infused from the leaves, the main flavour molecules come out later.)

---------- Post added 05-23-16 at 04:16 PM ----------

Hey.

I guess I must be way off the beaten path.

The nearest Aldi to me is in Bakersfield, about 800 miles away.
But you must have the world's biggest and best Costco just down the road a bit, not that far.

---------- Post added 05-23-16 at 04:19 PM ----------

The nearest Aldi's to me requires a passport!
Mark, you might need to explain what one of those is.
05-22-2016, 11:17 PM   #26743
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Cow's milk is the best food

for calves.

05-22-2016, 11:23 PM - 1 Like   #26744
Veteran Member

I took an introductory course in quantum mechanics last year. On the exam, we got a question about what a 'Newton's cat' thought experiment would be like, so what the mechanistic equivalent of Schrodinger's cat is. After explaining that the main difference would be that the cat would be in a transparent box because, determinism, I added that the cause of death would probably also be falling apple, rather than poison by radioactive isotope. I think it brought me up a grade.
05-22-2016, 11:34 PM   #26745
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
But you must have the world's biggest and best Costco just down the road a bit, not that far.

I've been to Costco all over the US.

They all look the same to me.

Cavernous.

And everything is Super Sized.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 05-23-2016 at 02:54 AM.