Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
05-23-2016, 02:20 AM   #26746
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote

This year when submitting our Bachelor theses on the online system there was a field for 'special comments'. A lot of my classmates were feeling funny and added pointless comments, so I put in "I will have mushrooms with that, please, and don't skimp on the tuna." Still waiting on the grade, so we'll see.
Hope you know your supervisors well! ☺

One of my favourite historians is Gerhardt Weinberg, who likes to sneak a wry observation into a fairly standard, academic paragraph.

05-23-2016, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #26747
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
'dillos here are long and wide...saw one just this evening coming back from town......he was out on Hwy 4 and he wasn't long or wide, but he was plenty flat!

You don't need spellcheck...you can just call them 'dillos......
Unfortunately I am talking about woodlice of the family Armadillidae, also known as pill bugs:

Measuring Armadillos would have been way more fun though
05-23-2016, 05:27 AM - 2 Likes   #26748
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You don't have to be from Texas to love brisket for breakfast.

05-23-2016, 05:48 AM - 2 Likes   #26749
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Unfortunately I am talking about woodlice of the family Armadillidae, also known as pill bugs:
I'm from Texas...and I was feeding armadillidae to red ants at about age 3 or 4. Here they are best known as rolly-pollys. I haven't seen any this year...which is highly unusual?

Unrelated...Yesterday evening I was coming in from town and out on Hwy 377 when I spotted a large land turtle trying to cross the busy highway. I stopped, backed up, and tried to get him across the highway. Traffic was sporadic but a car and a truck...both of which saw me in the highway...and the turtle..tried their best to hit him. I did manage to get him to the other side. People die every year trying to rescue turtles in the highway. If they can't hit the turtle they will hit you. I was wondering as I left...where is a psychopath with an AK47 when we need him?

05-23-2016, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #26750
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I've been to Costco all over the US.

They all look the same to me.

Best of Idiocracy - Welcome to Costco - YouTube

Cavernous.

And everything is Super Sized.
Even at your local head office one. How sad, they cannot even make a specially good one at the CEO's local.

I have only been to five Costcos, in three different countries: Kilburn, Sydney, Tainan, Milton Keynes and Reading. Costco can do drinks like Laphraiog for about the same at Reading as the duty free at Heathrow, only about 20 miles away. The Sydney and Kilburn shops had pack of Pears soap, but the other three do not. The Pears soap was a real good value product line. They all had big packs of Cranberries. Why does no other shop have cranberries in 1.3 kg packs?

Saw a couple of Costcos on my recent trip to Detroit but did not have my card with me.

Waitrose at Botley Road had Coopers sparkling last Friday. Got some to display at the office.

Last edited by tim60; 05-23-2016 at 11:48 AM.
05-23-2016, 01:14 PM   #26751
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

...where is a psychopath with an AK47 when we need him?
You don't have an AK47?
05-23-2016, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #26752
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
You don't have an AK47?
Maybe not him, but I know of a squirrel that probably does.

05-23-2016, 04:00 PM   #26753
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm from Texas...and I was feeding armadillidae to red ants at about age 3 or 4. Here they are best known as rolly-pollys. I haven't seen any this year...which is highly unusual?
Well, if you did not feed them all to the ant some years back....

Unrelated...Yesterday evening I was coming in from town and out on Hwy 377 when I spotted a large land turtle trying to cross the busy highway. I stopped, backed up, and tried to get him across the highway. Traffic was sporadic but a car and a truck...both of which saw me in the highway...and the turtle..tried their best to hit him. I did manage to get him to the other side. People die every year trying to rescue turtles in the highway. If they can't hit the turtle they will hit you. I was wondering as I left...where is a psychopath with an AK47 when we need him?
Here, we stop for ducks, sheep, pukeko's, hedgehogs etc. Why would someone try to hit a poor animal on a road?
05-23-2016, 06:17 PM   #26754
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
You don't have an AK47?
They took it away.....for a more sane user....then gave it to Otis!

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Here, we stop for ducks, sheep, pukeko's, hedgehogs etc. Why would someone try to hit a poor animal on a road?
There are people out there that are just bad to the bone. Karma will get them sooner or later.

Regards!
05-23-2016, 07:21 PM   #26755
Veteran Member

Going nighty-nite...it was a rough day...again. I have time for this......it always comes to mind in such situations.

Going out of your way to kill an animal......

When I worked at the nuclear plant during construction almost 40 years ago, a man I knew and worked with was driving his two kids home from soccer practice one late afternoon. A cat ran across the road and he intentionally tried to run it down...because he hated cats, so his daughters testified. He failed at the cat but did manage to go off the road and hit a tree head on. His children were slightly injured and his truck, which was almost new, was totaled. The cops notified Child Welfare and charged him with endangerment of a child. He missed 4 days of work, and our foreman, an avid cat lover, fired him. It was no average job.....this was in '77 and his job paid $25. an hour and we got 20 hours a week overtime on top of that. Nothing else around here came close.

So in short order he lost his truck, and soon enough his house.....his wife divorced him over it all, and the last time I saw him years ago,he was sacking groceries at a Safeway store.

Karma can do some awesome damage...and sometimes lightning fast!

Regards!
05-23-2016, 09:45 PM   #26756
Pentaxian

Back about the time of Ronald Reagan's first inauguration (that is a statement of date, not politics) I was on a bus going from lunch to the workshop at a coal mine, about half a mile. It had recently rained. suddenly the bus started going off the road and all the passengers were concerned. Then we saw what the driver had seen. He was driving to a large puddle so he could splash the most unpopular person in town. When someone realised that a cheer was raised. This was out in a near desert town where it had just rained heavily.

---------- Post added 05-24-16 at 03:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Even at your local head office one. How sad, they cannot even make a specially good one at the CEO's local.

I have only been to five Costcos, in three different countries: Kilburn, Sydney, Tainan, Milton Keynes and Reading. Costco can do drinks like Laphraiog for about the same at Reading as the duty free at Heathrow, only about 20 miles away. The Sydney and Kilburn shops had pack of Pears soap, but the other three do not. The Pears soap was a real good value product line. They all had big packs of Cranberries. Why does no other shop have cranberries in 1.3 kg packs?

Saw a couple of Costcos on my recent trip to Detroit but did not have my card with me.

Waitrose at Botley Road had Coopers sparkling last Friday. Got some to display at the office.
BTW: the next day someone found an old shell down the street from the Waitrose, along Botley Road. It was an 18 lb artillery shell but they were not sure whether it was WWI or WWII. The 18 lb was used as standard in WWI as a common field gun and was phased out early in WWII. Saturday afternoon someone doing the gardening found it buried under the kid's sandpit. A couple of weeks ago a German 500 lb bomb was found at Bath.
05-24-2016, 12:40 AM   #26757
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
There are people out there that are just bad to the bone. Karma will get them sooner or later.

My karma ran over your dogma.

05-24-2016, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #26758
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Then we saw what the driver had seen. He was driving to a large puddle so he could splash the most unpopular person in town. When someone realised that a cheer was raised. This was out in a near desert town where it had just rained heavily.
Ah, what a legend

QuoteQuote:
BTW: the next day someone found an old shell down the street from the Waitrose, along Botley Road. It was an 18 lb artillery shell but they were not sure whether it was WWI or WWII. The 18 lb was used as standard in WWI as a common field gun and was phased out early in WWII. Saturday afternoon someone doing the gardening found it buried under the kid's sandpit. A couple of weeks ago a German 500 lb bomb was found at Bath.
We keep finding mostly British aerial bombs in Germany. One time a flight of mine was delayed because they found one in the middle of Düsseldorf Int. Airport.

Here's a video of a rather large British bomb being detonated under controlled conditions in the city centre of Munich:

Edit: Just realised the announcements at the beginning are the best. First just the usual stuff ("Stay away from the windows." etc.), then he goes: "Wearers of hearing aids, please switch them off."

Last edited by FantasticMrFox; 05-24-2016 at 03:37 AM.
05-24-2016, 04:45 AM   #26759
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow. Left over landmines - although smaller - are a complete nightmare in some parts of the world, like SE Asia.

05-24-2016, 05:04 AM   #26760
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Wow. Left over landmines - although smaller - are a complete nightmare in some parts of the world, like SE Asia.
Yep.
A bomb that has fallen 10,000 feet or so and didn't detonate isn't likely to blow up from being stepped on, or hit with a shovel.