Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2016, 11:34 AM   #26866
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Wikipedia can. <<<<< click click
Thanks, I had a funny feeling it might have something to do with the Civil War.

In the traditions I am familiar with it is WWI that has defined the dates: 25 April and 11 November.

---------- Post added 05-29-16 at 05:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Also time to remember to buy a couple of boxes of Velveeta for Rotel dip.......the most popular Holiday dip in America.

VELVEETA® Spicy Sausage Dip - Kraft Recipes

That Buffalo Beer Dip looks pretty tasty too!

Be careful out there this weekend! Racer, remember to get out of that comfy chair at least once every 30-40 minutes to get more Rotel dip and beer.......sitting many hours without movement is dangerous and can cause blood clots. My body, being well acclimated to long stretches of doing nothing, is mostly immune to such problems, so I can go for 8-10 hours frozen on my office chair without moving much of anything.

Forgot: Jim, this is no time for a holiday, you have nursemaid duties so stay at your station and tend to the little babies. Their little lives are in your hands, and you can't put them at risk with your desire for "good times".
If you drink the beer there is another reason to need to go for a walk fairly often.

05-28-2016, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #26867
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
If you drink the beer there is another reason to need to go for a walk fairly often.
Indeed. When I injured my back a few years ago my physiotherapist told me to "drink a lot". I had to think for several seconds before I realised he wasn't trying to make me an alcoholic

Cheers!
05-28-2016, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #26868
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Got no plans for this weekend.....saving all my energy for our upcoming trip to Oregon. Damn that's a long drive! Had the TT in the shop all day yesterday....it's ready to roll. Got two new lenses coming this week....lookin' good! Mrs Rupert needs a break, she is on the downhill run at her job so she is ready for a break before the final stretch.

I may visit a cemetery I try to visit every year to pay my respects to those that gave it all.
05-28-2016, 01:24 PM   #26869
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I wish I'd have had a K1 with me while helping make giant green triangles. I'd have loved to have some bacon too.
A few walks through the city centre have suddenly brought me to level 6. My only silver award so far is the portal I've kept for 14 days now. It pays to live on a tiny island - not too many players come here, it seems, even if the city centre is just a 10 minute boat ride away. I have created a bunch of links and fields from the portals here. Hopefully not enough to attract the attention of the smurfs

Liberating portals along the waterfront has almost depleted my store of bursters and strikes. Need to go hacking before I can do more damage

Back on topic! No bacon today, but had some very nice chorizo to my fried potatoes and onions. And a glass or two of Italian red.

And that's why I won't buy a K-1, err, K-3.

05-28-2016, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #26870
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure what reminded me - it might be all the ******* fine seagulls flying around here - but I have just watched "Tuba Atlantic" again. Brilliant little film, that. Unless you happen to like gulls

So if you like dark humour in a slow setting, and have 25 minutes to spare:

No, you can't have the 25 minutes back if you don't like it. Sorry.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 05-28-2016 at 03:07 PM.
05-28-2016, 02:12 PM   #26871
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Thanks, I had a funny feeling it might have something to do with the Civil War.

Well, the genesis of the holiday in the US coincided with the end of that event, yes.

But we should also remember those who gave all for the revolutionary war too.

And those little skirmishes between the two.

05-28-2016, 03:12 PM   #26872
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

We don't buy beer, we rent it.

05-28-2016, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #26873
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Got no plans for this weekend.....saving all my energy for our upcoming trip to Oregon. Damn that's a long drive!

Two days ride.

Tops.

Take 287 up through Amarillo, then into Oklahoma through Boise City (be sure to get off the new bypass and drive the old highway through downtown - the highways used to meet at the county courthouse and there is a roundabout that encircles it) and up into Colorado, through Lamar (and a bunch of other cool old towns) to I-70, then West through Denver. North on 25 to Cheyenne and West again, on 80 all the way to Salty City. Go North to Idaho, taking 15, the cut off on 84 to Twin Falls. Just past Bliss is Malady Gorge, a sight you might enjoy. When you get to Oregon just past Ontario, you can either stay on 84 up through Pendleton (home of the Round Up and Pendleton Mills), then to along the Columbia River Gorge to Portlandia, or cut off on 20 and to West through Bend, and over Santiam Pass into Salem. Another side trip would be to catch 26 West through John Day and the fossil beds. All good drives.

OK.

If you're gonna be a Touron, it'll take more than two days. Take a week each way, and take a different route each way.

Lots of really neat scenery and old western towns to see.

And really great places to eat!
05-28-2016, 07:10 PM   #26874
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Two days ride.

Tops.
I'm going to print that Racer, and thanks a ton! I want to get there fast and come back slower. Our destination is Albany and when the graduation is over we want to roam around the area and then come home a different route.....any ideas on a route home?

I've been looking at maps and had no idea of how to go, never been in that part of the country. Your directions are just what I needed!

Best Regards!
05-28-2016, 07:44 PM   #26875
Pentaxian

Racer....I just posted in the K1 Group club.....Otis made me shower and put on surgical clothing and a face mask before I could enter...he said there are many there in terminal condition and on life support. It was very quiet in there...sort of spooky....can you recruit some "real people" to join up over there? Maybe some here will get a K1 or at least want one and join up? Wannabees are welcome there too!

Otis has an idea, he says you can select some "social people" and make them join...if they don't you can ban them for 30 days.....sounds like a winner to me!
I'll join the K1 group if someone mails me ( donates) a K1. Someday... Imma gettin me one a those.
05-28-2016, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #26876
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

.....any ideas on a route home?

Any route that is different than the drive out.

You can cross back over at Crater Lake. Be sure and stop by there and drive around the crater. Fantastic views.

On the East side of the Cascades is US97. Head South through Klamath Falls, then either cut across Southern Oregon and then drop down into Nevada to Winnemucca, then head East to Wendover and the iBonneville Salt Flats, the fastest place on the planet. After that continue East but skirt to the South of Salty City and check out Bryce Canyon. Continue along and drop down through Moab, a place that will make you wish you had drove your Jeep (but they rent jeeps there if ya wanna spend a day exploring). Go South out of Moab then South through Monticello and cut East into Colorado, then South into Shiprock. From there work your way across Northern New Mexico towards the Lone Star.

Or, from Klamath Falls head South on 97 into California, then into Nevada, through Reno, then back into California. You'll pass by the Eastern side of Yosemite, and a quick dash into that park for a glance at the Half Dome is worth the drive. Then a bit further South is Bodies, another place worth the effort to spend a morning or late afternoon. Then further South, turn into Panamint Springs, on the West side of Death Valley. Plan on at least two days in the Valley, and even then you won't see it all. Pop out on the East side at either Beatty or up to Tonopah. Shoot across the middle of Nevada on US 6 and pop into the Southern part of Utah. Southern Utah is loaded with great places, go crazy, explore. Then go across New Mexico and back into the Lone Star.

I've been looking at maps and had no idea of how to go, never been in that part of the country. Your directions are just what I needed!

Get an atlas.

One of those big ones, spiral bound, plastic coated pages. They sell for $40 ~ $50, but you can find last year's edition for $15 ~ $20.

The truck driver's version is better, but not compulsory.

Have a great drive!
05-28-2016, 08:02 PM   #26877
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
I'll join the K1 group if someone mails me ( donates) a K1. Someday... Imma gettin me one a those.

I don't have a K-1 (yet), and I created that group.

I would like to take this opportunity to personally invite you to join the group.

It would be an honor to have you as a member.
05-28-2016, 08:04 PM   #26878
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Racer...these K1 guys must be a different breed? They are not what I'd call your "social types". I stopped Otis out in the woods today, he had a team of squirrels dragging oxygen tanks, all sort of hoses, vital sign monitors and even an old iron lung he got from the local junk man. I asked him what the hell he was doing? ......"That K1 Group is going on life support....if it isn't already too late."

Well it is a holiday weekend.
05-28-2016, 08:32 PM   #26879
Pentaxian

I don't have a K-1 (yet), and I created that group.

I would like to take this opportunity to personally invite you to join the group.

It would be an honor to have you as a member.
I want the K1 so bad, but I love my K3 and K3 II and I want all three. But I only have the DA lenses and a few vintage and a few m42 mounts. Someday, maybe I'll save up or find out I am related to a billionaire that has left me $$$ in his will. Lol
05-28-2016, 08:40 PM   #26880
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
I want the K1 so bad, . . . . . Someday, maybe I'll save up or find out I am related to a billionaire that has left me $$$ in his will. Lol

So you would make a perfect addition to the club!

Get on over there, join up and start socializing!