Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2016, 04:15 PM   #26896
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
If you are going north like we are through Amarillo, it is a long and boring drive until you get out of the state and maybe into Colorado. It is the kind of drive where you could appreciate one of those new self-driving cars. Take a nap until it is over!
Amarillo has the home of the 72 ounce steak. Ate there every time I passed through there, but only have a 4 or 6 ounce cut.

Gotta have room for beer you know.

Then up in the Oklahoma panhandle is Boise City. Like I mentioned earlier, they built a bypass a few years back. Get off the bypass and go downtown, The courthouse is smack dab in the middle of town. A must see. Great photo opportunity.

05-29-2016, 04:20 PM   #26897
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
The courthouse is smack dab in the middle of town. A must see. Great photo opportunity.
Sounds like Granbury.
05-29-2016, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #26898
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Then up in the Oklahoma panhandle is Boise City. Like I mentioned earlier, they built a bypass a few years back. Get off the bypass and go downtown, The courthouse is smack dab in the middle of town. A must see. Great photo opportunity
We won't miss it. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Sounds like Granbury.
Yep, it does. Did you get to go inside? It is active and completely restored to original condition...they spent millions on it a few years ago. All that shale drilling was a was a windfall for the county.

Regards!
05-29-2016, 04:46 PM   #26899
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Regards!
That's it!

The first time I passed through there was before the bypass. As a truck driver I found lots of 'short cuts', old US and state highways that could shave hundreds of miles off of a run. Even though I got paid by the mile, time is money, and the quicker I got a load delivered the sooner I got another one.

If the wheels aren't turning, I'm not earning, right?

The coolest thing about taking these shortcuts was that I got to see the fabric of America. The small towns like Boise City, Old architecture, farm equipment and old trucks, old cars, good old fashioned cafes, general stores.

After having passed through Boise City a dozen times I was shocked to see construction equipment at the edge of town. Over the next couple of passes through there the bypass took shape, and then the small town charm no longer was a part of my day.

Sad.

Not that little town will dry up and die, because the world will just drive on by, out there on the bypass.

Further up 287 in Colorado is Lamar. Quite a bit larger than Boie City, but still has that small town America feel. And between Lamar and the junction with I70 is a little town called Custer. The cafe there was very good. Stopped every time I passed by if it was open. Breakfast was always great. At lunch it was good for a BLT.

Tasty!

05-29-2016, 05:04 PM   #26900
Veteran Member

the bypass took shape, and then the small town charm no longer was a part of my day.

Sad.
Well, here they did the unimaginable.....the bypass for the west dumps you right into town! From the east it starts in town...they made damn certain you get into town! A new bridge across the lake would have cost millions...and the highway would have to go through many high dollar gated communities...you know that wasn't going to happen! This is a tourist town and they planned it this way decades ago when they could have seized farmland but let those rich developments get in the way of any real bypass. People here curse it...but it was some Big Brain Thinking.
05-29-2016, 06:06 PM   #26901
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So in New Zealand, it wouldn't be anything like the distances here? Distances are good....and bad. It takes an entire day to drive across Texas. If you are going north like we are through Amarillo, it is a long and boring drive until you get out of the state and maybe into Colorado. It is the kind of drive where you could appreciate one of those new self-driving cars. Take a nap until it is over!
Regards!
Sounds like fun. (Not the amputation - the road trip!)

You're right. I'm not used to your distances. Although - I did drive right across Canada once. And, much meandering over the USA too.
South Africa and New Zealand superimposed over the USA, to scale. (Thanks to thetruesize.com website)
Attached Images

05-29-2016, 11:27 PM   #26902
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

A new bridge across the lake would have cost millions...
Probably more like billions.

Is that the lake you mom lives on? They could build a road across that one, and it looks like it is packed hard enough they wouldn't have to do much prep work.

05-29-2016, 11:32 PM - 2 Likes   #26903
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Sounds like fun. (Not the amputation - the road trip!)

You're right. I'm not used to your distances. Although - I did drive right across Canada once. And, much meandering over the USA too.
South Africa and New Zealand superimposed over the USA, to scale. (Thanks to thetruesize.com website)
Hey, and based on where your township is on that map you would have been about an hour and a half drive from Indianapolis.

Know what I'm gettin' at here?

Oh, and taking a meandering drive across the US and Canada is how one finds old fords and parts.

05-30-2016, 12:40 AM   #26904
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

So I was looking at some articles on the front page of the forum just now. If you haven't been there, you should check it out, some neat stuff to read. I never actually see it as my browser has used the tracking function to always take me to my subscribed posts page, and I got lazy.

Haven't seen the articles section is years. As I said, lots of helpful tips and walkthroughs, informational items and such. I was enthralled for a long time, well at least 15 minutes.

But watch out.

It seems as though there are other things hidden away there, likely placed by the livE hociR.

I clicked on what I thought was a picture to illustrate the article and found myself reading some sort of web type men's magazine like Playboy.

The articles are OK. I know because I read some of them.

But I feel dirty and ashamed now.
05-30-2016, 06:57 AM   #26905
Pentaxian

So in New Zealand, it wouldn't be anything like the distances here? Distances are good....and bad. It takes an entire day to drive across Texas. If you are going north like we are through Amarillo, it is a long and boring drive until you get out of the state and maybe into Colorado. It is the kind of drive where you could appreciate one of those new self-driving cars. Take a nap until it is over!

From Colorado on it should be a delight! I'm hoping for a great trip. You are welcome to come with us.....the TT has a rear seat but if you have legs we will have to saw them off to get you in there!
However, the back seat is so handy for camera gear....just reach back and grab it.

I was going in the Jeep...but decided comfort mattered on a long trip...and the TT is very comfortable on a long drive.

Regards!
With all this rain you might need the Jeep.... Or an Ark.
05-30-2016, 08:23 AM   #26906
Veteran Member

But I feel dirty and ashamed now.
Feels good, doesn't it!

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
With all this rain you might need the Jeep.... Or an Ark.
Yep, it rained heavy again last night. Everything here is soggy wet. Squirrels aren't worried...they built that party barge with beer barrel pontoons and little straws coming up through the deck. Even if they drown they will be too drunk to know it.

I hear that in So Texas they are evacuating entire towns along the Brazos River?
05-30-2016, 10:42 AM   #26907
Veteran Member

10:30 this Memorial Day the doorbell rang.....USPS....isn't Amazon wonderful! My new Tamron 70-200 2.8! Thank you Mrs Rupert! I think this may be wonderful for our trip.

Just a crummy shot trying my 540 flash...which I need to practice with more. She doesn't know about the Samyang 85mm coming tomorrow.....she'll be at work when it comes....Keep smiling...I need lots of new lenses!
Name:  IMGP1183-800K1-T.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  78.3 KB
05-30-2016, 11:05 AM   #26908
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

10:30 this Memorial Day the doorbell rang.....USPS....
I didn't know they delivered on a national holiday . . . . . . . .
05-30-2016, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #26909
Veteran Member

I didn't know they delivered on a national holiday . . . . . . . .
Me neither...but they said it would be here today and it was! That shot was so crummy.....but I can tell you it is plenty sharp wide open 2.8!

He complained about the pastel "girly" bokeh.
05-30-2016, 11:19 AM   #26910
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Me neither...but they said it would be here today and it was! That shot was so crummy.....but I can tell you it is plenty sharp wide open 2.8!

He complained about the pastel "girly" bokeh.
Girly or not that is a great shot Jim.

You caught him red pawed.