Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2016, 07:13 PM   #26941
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Hey Rupert, I found out why your squirrels are getting fat.
It is the raccoons favorite treat....about once a month I buy them a pepperoni $5 pizza from Little Caesar.

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Good to hear you're OK. It's not the volts that will kill ya, it's the amps.
Yep...a tiny fraction of one amp can stop your heart. Being dry and ungrounded, it was just a good buzz and some tingling. Enough to startle me into a fall....

I read a story the other day of a young girl that drown when she dived off a dock that had faulty wiring and the water was charged. Two of her relatives almost drowned too trying to save her. Anything near water should be on a GFCI circuit. Lots of boat docks don't have them...and they all should.

06-01-2016, 07:14 PM   #26942
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Well crap ... I was going to go to the international photo swap meet of Paris (@ Bièvres), but the super highway between Poitiers and Paris (A10) is flooded out for the next few days due to Armageddon rain and the secondary roads are very difficult ... just cancelled my overnight stay at the B&B ... merde!

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Why cancel your trip?

Just get one of these:

Or, should you require more room for your stuff one of these:

I bet the Allies left a few on the beach at Normandy.
06-01-2016, 07:15 PM   #26943
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I had similar misgivings too.
...but you got over it! That's what happens when you associate long enough with Rupert types.
06-01-2016, 07:18 PM   #26944
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Speaking of the dead.....close call today....I was putting up some new lights for Mrs Rupert in her utility room...replacing old fluorescent bulbs with LED tube bulbs......brighter and more efficient.

Cakewalk....but as I had the old wiring bare and was up on a step ladder I grabbed the wires and got a dandy jolt of 120...thank goodness I'm great at falling...broke me lose in a heartbeat. I think my hip is gonna be real sore where I hit the dryer, but my feet are fine! I guess I flipped the switch on at some point to get some light to see what I was doing......that's how accidents happen.

120 volts?

Child's play.

06-01-2016, 07:23 PM   #26945
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep...a tiny fraction of one amp can stop your heart. Being dry and ungrounded, it was just a good buzz and some tingling. Enough to startle me into a fall....

I read a story the other day of a young girl that drown when she dived off a dock that had faulty wiring and the water was charged. Two of her relatives almost drowned too trying to save her. Anything near water should be on a GFCI circuit. Lots of boat docks don't have them...and they all should.
That's bad. I've never heard of that happening. I almost cooked a bit of my leg once with 240V. Won't do that again.
06-01-2016, 07:26 PM   #26946
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

You can never have enough Fords!
The old guy who owned those has hundreds of old cars, Fords, Chevys, Dodges, a few foreign makes. The ones I shot were visible from the road, but I could see way back, and they went on forever.

As I was walking along the shoulder of the road, composing and making photographs, he drove by in a roll off truck. He stopped and told me I had to pay to be able to take pictures.

I told him as long as I was on the road I could do as I pleased.

So we stood there and chatted until the sun was gone. Then I told him I needed to get back to the truck stop, hook to my load, and get some sleep. I had to drive all the way to the West coast, and it was a hot load.

He gave me his number and told me anytime I was back that way to ring him up and we would have a beer.
06-01-2016, 07:28 PM   #26947
Veteran Member

That's bad. I've never heard of that happening. I almost cooked a bit of my leg once with 240V. Won't do that again.
Happens more often than I imagined according to the article. I do know that before I worked under a mobile home I cut all power to it at the pole. Mobile homes ground to the frame,and if there is any short it will fry you when you touch any part of the frame.....if you are in water or damp soil, it's all over. Lots of people die this way every year, usually repair people and sometimes homeowners. Got to be careful where the juice is involved!

06-01-2016, 07:39 PM - 1 Like   #26948
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why cancel your trip?
Just get one of these:
Or get a snorkel.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-01-2016, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #26949
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The old guy who owned those has hundreds of old cars, Fords, Chevys, Dodges, a few foreign makes. The ones I shot were visible from the road, but I could see way back, and they went on forever.
Often these just rot. Every now and then, someone manages to resurrect one of these finds! Mate of mine pulled a '60 Eldorado out of a rubbish hole. Battery and new gas, and it ran. Had a dodgy trannie, that was the only problem with the car. It had probably sat in that hole for 15 years!
06-01-2016, 10:25 PM - 3 Likes   #26950
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That's what happens when the switch opens too slowly. At initial break the voltage gradient is high enough to cause dielectric breakdown of the air, which continues to grow until eventually there is enough gap that air movement enables breaking the circuit. That is why there are oil filled switches and fuses - to replace the gap with inert oil to quench the arc before it forms.
06-02-2016, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #26951
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I hate getting shocked.

Dad loved to fish and when I was a kid he made what he called a "worm getter"
It was made of two steel rods with wood handles, an extension cord with receptacle end cut off, and a wire attached to each rod.
Plug it in, stick the rods in the ground a few feet apart and earth worms (we always called them fishing worms) come crawling to the surface.
I got plenty of little "hits" while doing the worm gathering.

Hadn't thought about this for years, but a web search shows them being called worm shocker and worm getter, even being sold on eBay.
06-02-2016, 05:37 AM   #26952
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Hadn't thought about this for years, but a web search shows them being called worm shocker and worm getter, even being sold on eBay.
Me neither. I used to do that years ago and you could get all the worms you wanted in a hurry. My cousin had an old telephone crank generator he used for fishing....worked great too. Being a Rupert type, me and my buddies would go out and find a nice deep stretch on the creek or a stock pond.....and dynamite it. Lots of fish for a big fish fry out at the lake! We blew up some old cars at an abandoned farm a few times too. Can you imagine a group of young Rupert types with a box full of dynamite??? It even scares me!
06-02-2016, 05:47 AM   #26953
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We could not get hold of Dynamite. We had to make our own black powder. I never did try to make Dynamite!
06-02-2016, 06:04 AM - 2 Likes   #26954
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We had to make our own black powder.
We did too.
charcoal, sulfur, and saltpeter
and I think we had success with just sugar and saltpeter

Being a Rupert type, me and my buddies would go out and find a nice deep stretch on the creek or a stock pond.....and dynamite it.
Old, but still funny to me:
No one in this town could catch any fish except this one man. The game warden asked him how he did it. The man told the game warden that he would take him fishing the next day. Once they got to the middle of the lake the man took out a stick of dynamite, lit it, and threw it in the water. After the explosion fish started floating to the top of the water. The man took out a net and started picking up the fish. The game warden told him that this was illegal. The man took out another stick of dynamite and lit it. He then handed it to the game warden and said " are you going to fish or talk".
06-02-2016, 06:35 AM   #26955
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
The game warden told him that this was illegal. The man took out another stick of dynamite and lit it. He then handed it to the game warden and said " are you going to fish or talk".

My uncle had a farm/ranch and used dynamite to clear tree stumps or build stock tanks. He always had a few boxes of it and when it got old it weeped nitro glycerin and was too dangerous to use. One summer he asked me to take it down to the far pasture and detonate a box of it...probably hoping I'd blow myself up? He did have reason to feel that way...but that's a whole 'nother story.....

Anyhow, I kept the box and took it home instead, so all us guys were playing a very dangerous game. When one of the sticks we had set out to blow up a tree spontaneously exploded, we finally gave it up and detonated the remainder.

We made our own bombs too. Drano and aluminum shavings in a tightly sealed container with a little water is one heck of a bomb!
You have to be very careful how you handle the water insertion so that it doesn't contact the contents until it is turned over. Gary Atkins blew the trunk lid off his '54 Chevy convertible when he had a big jar of it in his trunk to take out to the fishing hole and passed a couple of girls...just had to show off and burn some rubber.....

My uncle.....imagine a small CAT used for stock tank building that goes off the dam and into 20 feet of muddy water? The operator survived the accident...but was nearly killed afterwards.

Regards!