Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2016, 02:40 AM   #27076
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Hard to type on this tiny Nextbook.....and I have two broken feet and now a twisted right knee....... More later...maybe?

Regards!
Travel safe Jim. Sounds like you have to watch out for low flying tyres!

06-07-2016, 05:13 AM   #27077
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert:
.....and I have two broken feet and now a twisted right knee....... More later...maybe?
Let's hope not, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Oh, wait. Maybe You mean more updates on the trip. More of those would be good.
06-07-2016, 07:03 AM   #27078
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Let's hope not, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Me neither!

On to Utah today....updates tonight...I hope!

Need a report on the babies for Otis.He keeps mailing me asking about their condition?
He prays none were born blind.

Best Regards
06-07-2016, 07:13 AM - 2 Likes   #27079
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice to have some On the Road with Rupert reports!

Last night's dinner, bacon cheeseburger and tater tots.
Pot roast cooking in the crockpot for tonight.

Weekend wings.

06-07-2016, 07:14 AM   #27080
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Since they legalized marijuana for recreational use the whole state has become a den of sin and iniquity.
Mrs Rupert's exact sentiments!

Bummer Jim. Shows just how important it is to maintain awareness at all times, and stay as far as possible from big trucks.
So true and I do......but you have to co-exist like it or not. I get around them quickly....and never get too close behind.......but I guess I did once...... That tire went airborne for half a football field length. Lucky it didn't hit the windshield.

The roads are dangerous places...no one knows that better than you.

Regards!

BTW...Going for breakfast.......looks like all the bacon you can eat.......:..... hear that Bert!
06-07-2016, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #27081
Veteran Member

BTW...Going for breakfast.......looks like all the bacon you can eat.......:..... hear that Bert!
I'm going to eat some homemade apple crumble now. (made by me...)
06-07-2016, 10:02 AM   #27082
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Bummer Jim. Shows just how important it is to maintain awareness at all times, and stay as far as possible from big trucks.

Just look at the damage a tire failure caused to one of the trucks I used to drive:

Be careful, and have a safe trip!
Yikes!

Even small cars can blow a tyre, though. This one caused some damage, too, and it happened in the middle of nowhere. No phone coverage either. Not one of my fondest holiday memories

06-07-2016, 10:16 AM   #27083
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
This one caused some damage, too, and it happened in the middle of nowhere. No phone coverage either.

Things like that always happen at a place as far as possible from a source of help.

That's the rules.

I didn't make them, just have to live by 'em.
06-07-2016, 10:19 AM   #27084
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

BTW...Going for breakfast.......looks like all the bacon you can eat.......:.....

Just watch out for these guys.

06-07-2016, 11:37 AM   #27085
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This morning after reading about that surplus to requirements tyre the truck driver left behind along the way I was driving to work. At one of the villages on the way, in the 30mph zone, there was a new pothole, not there at all yesterday, which I hit with my left wheels. There was quite a loud report and bump. Fortunately no further damage. Car felt OK immediately so I kept on going and when I got to the carpark outside the office I walked around to see what might have happened. No damage visible to tyres or wheels. Hopefully nothing hidden. When I hit it I thought, was that the European standard pothole or the British standard pothole or the US standard pothole. You do realise that roads erode differently in different countries and so the potholes are different!

This morning the sun was bright and the sky blue - I think that is the name of that colour which I see rarely these days. This afternoon the sky got dark and ugly and there was a thunderstorm.

Tomorrow I do not get to inspect that pothole, going to London. Then the next day I will not get to inspect the pothole, going to Birmingham for the first time in my life. I remember some singer, I think Jon English, when I was young sang a song "Birmingham, its n my blood, its in my soul". Pretty passionate given that he was singing about someone else's soccer business.

I can understand peole getting passionate about a sports club, of any code, but getting worked up about someone else's sports business gets me mystified. When was the last time you saw someone get painted in the brand colours of their favour toilet paper and behave provocatively towards those whose favourite paper is a different brand? What is the difference with sorts businesses?
06-07-2016, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #27086
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Things like that always happen at a place as far as possible from a source of help.

That's the rules.

I didn't make them, just have to live by 'em.
Indeed. But Namibia broke the rules, sort of. 3 out of the 3 vehicles that came while we were there stopped to offer their help. That part of the story is a fond memory
06-07-2016, 12:57 PM - 2 Likes   #27087
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
When was the last time you saw someone get painted in the brand colours of their favour toilet paper and behave provocatively towards those whose favourite paper is a different brand? What is the difference with sorts businesses?
Well... You always have Sandy toilet paper - from your home turf

06-07-2016, 05:52 PM   #27088
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Indeed. But Namibia broke the rules, sort of. 3 out of the 3 vehicles that came while we were there stopped to offer their help. That part of the story is a fond memory
That's pretty normal in Namibia. Nice though!
06-07-2016, 09:29 PM   #27089
Veteran Member

Long day for old Rupert.....from Laramie to Twin Falls Idaho. Lots of highway work and single lane traffic with those big trucks and some over anxious drivers of other vehicles.
This Snake River gorge is quite a sight! Got a few Toy Camera shots.....big FF cameras are too big and heavy to tote up and down the trails to the overlooks.

Headed into Oregon tomorrow........gotta get some sleep tonight!

Racer.....We plan on turning west at Ontario on 20 to go to Albany....you recommended it. Anything particular there we don't want to miss?

Mrs Rupert is maybe not so fond of all this closeness with old Rupert in the tiny TT? She referred to me as a jerk more than once today. Maybe I was.....gotta keep in practice!

Anyone hear from Otis?

Regards!
06-07-2016, 11:35 PM - 1 Like   #27090
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Racer.....We plan on turning west at Ontario on 20 to go to Albany....you recommended it. Anything particular there we don't want to miss?
The John Day Fossil Beds.

At Vale take US26.

The painted hills is also a good place to go.

And somewhere is the Cant Ranch House, formerly a place where the geologists lived.

US26 will take you into Redmond, then get on US126 and go to US20, go over Santiam Pass and that will take you over the Cascades into Albany.

Drive safely and watch out for Alligators.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »