Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2016, 12:17 PM   #27226
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Too bad us old guys can't have the same thing done to our bodies.

I agree about multi-story motels, hate 'em, I always try to get a ground floor room.
Isn't that the truth. It's like my uncle always said, we have wealth when we are too old to use it and youth when we need the cash to enjoy that youth.
I certainly feel the old age today......I feel totally wasted. But...I'll get over it......I think?

Yes, they are a nightmare. The old ways were much better, but the new high rises make them a lot more cash. It is after all, all about the cash in this world.

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Welcome home!

Thanks Racer, good to be here...and one more thanks for that great road you steered us to! One of the best parts of our trip.

A song for your return (I always listen to this when returning from a long journey, it gives perspective to it all) :
Perfect lyrics...it about sums up traveling and life. It is perfect for my day today as I reflect on the trip.

A couple more shots

One of the lighthouses Mrs Rupert just had to see....

Name:  IMGP1439-800.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  74.8 KB

Our youngest grandson, Bailey James.....named after me and according to my Mom is almost as much trouble as I was. He is constantly getting suspended from school and is a holy terror....but to me he seems like a great kid. Smart and adventuresome, and no ones fool. He will go far in life.

Baily and Mrs Rupert
Name:  IMGP1416-800.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  112.3 KB

Off to Aldis....I sure missed it! Mrs Rupert headed off to do her favorite thing...shopping! Haven't seen her all day......gotta make up for lost time! Back to work for her Monday....I need new lenses......

Regards!

06-16-2016, 02:02 PM   #27227
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like you had a great trip!
06-16-2016, 02:59 PM   #27228
Pentaxian

Which lighthouse is that, Rupert? We've gotten to the northern Oregon lights but lots more to add to our list...

Jim
06-16-2016, 03:32 PM   #27229
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Which lighthouse is that, Rupert? We've gotten to the northern Oregon lights but lots more to add to our list...

Jim
It has a name but I forgot it. It is at Newport......there are two nearby there. Very interesting stories about both.

Regards!

06-16-2016, 03:53 PM   #27230
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Laquina Lighthouse (Google is your friend)
or maybe not. (Google can also confuse)
06-16-2016, 05:08 PM   #27231
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico

Jim
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
It has a name but I forgot it. It is at Newport......there are two nearby there. Very interesting stories about both.

Regards!
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Laquina Lighthouse (Google is your friend)
or maybe not. (Google can also confuse)
Yaquina Head Lighthouse
06-16-2016, 10:18 PM - 1 Like   #27232
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Rupert, good to be home and not needing to stay in those hotels.

Remember my review of a hotel I put up way back, in early May. Some of you guys thought I was getting old and grumpy.

Now Rupert has said similar we know it is neither oldness nor grumpiness nor any combination thereof, with or without prejudice, that led to the opinion that I expressed.

06-16-2016, 10:28 PM - 1 Like   #27233
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Rupert, good to be home and not needing to stay in those hotels.

Remember my review of a hotel I put up way back, in early May. Some of you guys thought I was getting old and grumpy.

Now Rupert has said similar we know it is neither oldness nor grumpiness nor any combination thereof, with or without prejudice, that led to the opinion that I expressed.
Wouldn't two old and grumpy people concur, though, Tim?

Last edited by clackers; 06-16-2016 at 10:33 PM.
06-17-2016, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #27234
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

That hurts really bad Racer.......I can't even imagine that number. I'm beat up pretty bad tonight.
800,000 miles shouldn't be too hard to imagine. You just have to imagine starting another 5400 mile trip every 12 days. For 5 years.

06-17-2016, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #27235
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Yep, that one's still on our "to-do" list, thanks all for the ID
06-17-2016, 07:53 AM   #27236
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Motels give you every right to be grumpy......they are a necessary pain in the hiney.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Wouldn't two old and grumpy people concur, though, Tim?
Try a couple of weeks in motels across America and you will join Club Grumpy.

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
You just have to imagine starting another 5400 mile trip every 12 days. For 5 years.
That too hurts really bad to think about. I'd try robbing a bank and prison to avoid that kind of sentence.

Yep, that one's still on our "to-do" list, thanks all for the ID
Very scenic spot it was...out on a rocky peninsula with huge bird and walrus covered rocks out in the nearby water. We even watched an eagle grab a seagull in flight and eat him on one of those big rock islands.

When you go get a better shot of this lovely tree on the edge to the right of the lighthouse......I had my settings all wrong and couldn't see my screen well enough so I didn't get the shot I wanted...but you can!

Name:  IMGP1431-800.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  441.9 KB

Gibbs was an ornery doggie that didn't want us in my son's home........a couple of those big beef jerky sticks we had on the trip changed his attitude quickly!
Name:  IMGP1420-800.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  326.7 KB

I'll be processing shots for weeks.....the best ones were from Mrs Rupert and her X10 as we drove down the highways.......maybe 30% of them were very good. We could have stopped more....but we were anxious to get there for the graduation and then more anxious to get home! The roads past Denver are twisty and often with few places to stop, so we just moved along and enjoyed the views.

Regards!
06-17-2016, 08:52 AM   #27237
Veteran Member

RoxnDox......A better view of the lighthouse for you.......

Name:  IMGP1433-800.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  110.2 KB

Name:  IMGP1465-800.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  265.6 KB

Rocks galore....
Name:  IMGP1447-800.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  521.2 KB

Don't miss this place at Newport!

Name:  IMGP1483-800.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  317.1 KB

The clams were delicious.....so was the clam chowder!
Name:  IMGP1481-800.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  517.2 KB

Lots of sandy beaches and rocky points to see around this area.

Regards!
06-17-2016, 09:41 AM   #27238
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gibbs was an ornery doggie that didn't want us in my son's home
I nominate Gibbs for president of Club Grumpy!!
06-17-2016, 10:18 AM   #27239
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I nominate Gibbs for president of Club Grumpy!!
He fits the mold......he has a little black sidekick doggie named Tiny that instigates the attack mode whenever anyone strange comes around and then Gibbs goes ballistic.
Gibbs has some mental problems too...he imagines that everyone wants one of his many tennis balls and goes nuts if you get too close to one. On the other hand, he will bring you one and give it to you and if you don't accept and play ball, he goes off again and snarls and growls until you do.

They have a lot of animals they have rescued...including this "baby lion"???

Name:  IMGP1404-800.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  461.1 KB

Name:  IMGP1406-800.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  470.7 KB

Some birds too.....loving animals runs in the family.

Old Gibbs warmed up to me pretty fast......Mrs Rupert not so quick. I had more beef jerky than she had!

Fun trip, but I am near death today...the knee I twisted is killing me. I am worn to a frazzle and will need a few more days to recover. I know it was beautiful out west, and I loved it all, such stunning sights.......but the best part was those clams! No one around here has fresh clams and next to oysters they are my favorites.

Regards!

Just a word about the K1 +Tamron 70-200 2.8....what a combination! ......In the hands of a more competent shooter amazing results could be achieved! I look forward to gaining more experience with this combination.
06-17-2016, 10:23 AM   #27240
Pentaxian

The Oregon coast is one of my favorite places, everything from wide sandy beaches to rocky cliffs, wild storms, perfect sunshine days, lighthouses with those gorgeous old Fresnel lenses, and roads that are just plain fun... Glad you had fun!