Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2016, 10:36 PM - 1 Like   #27526
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
There was an earthquake near my house this morning, the center about 6 miles from us. It registered 3.5, and lasted less than a second. I was upstairs, paying bills, when there was a huge "ka-whump!" The whole house shook violently, even though it was just a fraction of a second.

Now there are a few new cracks in the walls.

Spooky.
Most of my life I lived on stable ground, even if it is one of the place in Australia more like to get earthquakes. The last one was before I was born. Some buildings were condemned but I do not think any actually fell down. There have been other earthquakes in Oz since, some including dead people. It is weird going to a place where they are frequent. In Hualien they happen every day. I once got woken up by a 4.9 30 miles away in Taipei, when on the 12th floor of a hotel. Felt like a long time. Got lots of ectopic heart beats the next day as a result of something I ate and that made me feel like it was keeping on for days. Missing 2 in 5 beats does rather impair balance. When my GP found out, a week later he began to panic.

---------- Post added 07-02-16 at 04:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
If you buy enough of it you can amortize the fuel cost per item down to almost nothing.
So, if he borrows Monstro, the fuel cost per unit is very low, but then he will be crippled by the interest on the credit card, which will be maxed out, beyond his monthly capacity to pay it off in full.

---------- Post added 07-02-16 at 04:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
Every time I take a cat or my one certain dog, he makes me hold the pet. Lol, he says mad cats are dangerous. I have some scars to prove it. Lesson learned from separating two fighting male cats..... Sheesh! Ouch and ouch.
Sometimes it seems better with a fight to lock them away, no-one goes in, no-one goes out, with instructions to tell us when they worked out who won.

---------- Post added 07-02-16 at 04:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Hah, dogs are easy. Felines, independent buggers with a survival instinct from hell.
Cats - little lions, or is that tigers?

07-02-2016, 12:52 AM   #27527
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Most of my life I lived on stable ground, even if it is one of the place in Australia more like to get earthquakes. The last one was before I was born. Some buildings were condemned but I do not think any actually fell down. There have been other earthquakes in Oz since, some including dead people. It is weird going to a place where they are frequent. In Hualien they happen every day. I once got woken up by a 4.9 30 miles away in Taipei, when on the 12th floor of a hotel. Felt like a long time. Got lots of ectopic heart beats the next day as a result of something I ate and that made me feel like it was keeping on for days. Missing 2 in 5 beats does rather impair balance. When my GP found out, a week later he began to panic.

I was born in Southern California, and lived there until the age of 6 or 7. Earthquakes happen there most every day. We would be sitting at the table having dinner when the dishes in the cupboard would begin to clatter. Everyone would freeze until it subsided, forks halfway to our mouths, then resume the meal when it was over, as if it never happened.

I have experienced a few here in Washington over the years, the most recent 'big' one was the Nisqually event in 2001. It registered 6.8. I was about 50 miles from the epicenter, waiting in the customer lounge at the dealership where I purchased my Dodge pickup, waiting for some warranty work to be completed. It was probably the most severe event I have ever experienced. The building began to wiggle slowly at first, the oscillations increasing in magnitude and frequency. People began to freak out, running for the door, to go outside. I moved to a doorway and watched as the vehicles outside rocked to and fro, light poles and trees swaying as if blown by the wind.

It was over in a few seconds.

I noticed everyone was on their cell phones, so I instinctively reached for mine to call Mrs. Racer. I got a recording that all the available circuits were busy. Clearly the massive amount of freaked out people were all trying at once to make calls to loved ones and friends.

The quake was reported to have caused the heart attack death of one individual, and injured 40 others. It caused about $4 billion in damage, and then president George Bush declared the state a disaster area.

About 20 minutes later the work was done on my pickup, and I went home.
07-02-2016, 12:57 AM   #27528
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
PF is actually beneficial in my recovery from taking our cat to the vet. It is forcing me to use my injured hand and therefore help regain mobility.

Two words.

Dead kitteh.
07-02-2016, 05:58 AM   #27529
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Clearly the massive amount of freaked out people were all trying at once to make calls to loved ones and friends.
In the Northridge LA earthquake our oldest son had recently moved to LA and was living in his aunt's rental bungalow in the valley. He had a roommate that was a flight engineer for Delta, and when the earthquake hit his roommate couldn't reach him because of the phones being out. He left the Burbank airport to come check on Mike and when he got there the house was in shambles. Mike had been tossed out of his bed and was on the floor still asleep, never realizing there had been an earthquake and the roof had caved in. He was uninjured. Strange things happen in earthquakes.

I'll take them over tornadoes any day. We went through one here in '89 and it was absolutely horrifying. It stripped ever leaf off of all of our over 200 trees and some of those leaves embedded in tree trunks like razor blades......never seen anything like it, and hope I never do again.

Can't recall just what country it was, but recently I read that the average family there eats 32 cats a year. Looks like they figured out the best use of cats. Otis wanted to move his giant Army of Squirrels there for safety......but I reminded that they had no squirrels....they had already eaten every last one.

07-02-2016, 07:12 AM   #27530
Veteran Member

Fearing retaliation for my cat comments, Otis has demanded that I clarify my views on cats...at least for specific cats. He fears that my comments will cause outrage and result in the cold blooded murder of little innocent Pepper Babies as retaliation. I don't think that is likely, but Otis is horrified at the thought. So here goes...

I have no problem with giant big fluffy "doorstop kitties" that are part of a family and kind and loving ( I assume?) I would not recommend cooking and eating them, even if served with a delicious pepper-sauce and spit roasted over a mesquite fired grill. I regret that my comments could be misunderstood and I promise to be more careful in the future when discussing these foul tempered critters.

Regards!
07-02-2016, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #27531
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I live on a major faultline for earthquakes. Feel them frequently, and each time it's terrifying! I was 60 miles away when the huge one hit :

1959 Earthquake forms Quake Lake West of Yellowstone

You could not stand up outside, as the ground was rolling so violently! It seemed to last forever. In a parking lot by us, a 3 foot wide x 6 foot deep crack opened up. Thousands of aftershocks continued for several days after, it was indeed a most horrifying thing to experience.
07-02-2016, 07:36 AM - 2 Likes   #27532
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It seems most people either love or hate cats.
I'm pretty indifferent, but never will be owned by one..
Not so our Miss Brooke, she ignores squirrels, but hates cats, and can smell 'em from a mile away.

07-02-2016, 07:45 AM   #27533
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I live on a major faultline for earthquakes. Feel them frequently, and each time it's terrifying! I was 60 miles away when the huge one hit :
We get small ones, usually short lived, but it is such an eerie feeling it makes my skin crawl.
I hope we never have a hit like the 1811–12 New Madrid earthquakes.
The New Madrid fault line isn't that far from here.
07-02-2016, 07:58 AM   #27534
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I'm pretty indifferent, but never will be owned by one..
Dogs have masters, cats have staff.
I am currently servant to a Siamese and a Maine Coon. I can't imagine living in a house without cats.
07-02-2016, 08:17 AM   #27535
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Not so our Miss Brooke, she ignores squirrels, but hates cats, and can smell 'em from a mile away.
Otis asks if your doggie is for rent?

---------- Post added 07-02-16 at 10:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I am currently servant to a Siamese and a Maine Coon. I can't imagine living in a house without cats.
You didn't address my post....and Otis is very concerned that the Babies have been harmed....tell us it isn't so!
07-02-2016, 09:04 AM   #27536
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote

1959 Earthquake forms Quake Lake West of Yellowstone

You could not stand up outside, as the ground was rolling so violently! It seemed to last forever. In a parking lot by us, a 3 foot wide x 6 foot deep crack opened up. Thousands of aftershocks continued for several days after, it was indeed a most horrifying thing to experience.

In 1959 I was still a crumb grabbing carpet crawler, sporting 3 cornered pants, puking pabulum and pooping green. For me an event like that would have been like a ride on daddy's knee.

07-02-2016, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #27537
Veteran Member

In 1959 I was still a crumb grabbing carpet crawler, sporting 3 cornered pants, puking pabulum and pooping green. For me an event like that would have been like a ride on daddy's knee.
By '59 I had already discovered the wonders of bacon, beer, and Velveeta. You are so behind Racer!
07-02-2016, 09:10 AM   #27538
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
By '59 I had already discovered the wonders of bacon, beer, and Velveeta. You are so behind Racer!

In the time between then and now I have more than made up for my late entry.

07-02-2016, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #27539
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It will take awhile to get this image out of my mind!
07-02-2016, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #27540
Veteran Member

I have more than made up
Before you read this...remember I am suffering from two broken feet, a twisted knee and what Mrs Rupert calls "advanced dementia" that started at birth.

I read that part of your post and it spurred the memory of "making up is hard to do".......which made me ask myself if there was such a song...and then I recalled this one which must have been at the root of my twisted thoughts?

It is embedded in my brain cells....I was dating Connie **** and we had broken up. If I recall correctly it was the summer of '62...when you were barely potty trained. I was trying to get back together with her, we had a long history of a tumultuous relationship going back to the 7th grade...often with a lot of family interference.

It didn't work out.....I sorta decided to "move along" after her dad blew a hole in the trunk of my '55Chevy as I was trying desperately to outrun him before the hole was in me. Heck, how did we know her mom would come home from work three hours early?

Anyhow, my mind works in mysterious ways...at least it is a mystery to me.

Regards!
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »