Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2016, 06:54 PM   #27691
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Velveeta? NO! I don't put non food substances on a sammich.
Vegemite, however, is a suitable condiment.

07-06-2016, 06:55 PM   #27692
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How about some Marmite then?
07-06-2016, 06:55 PM   #27693
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
If lutefisk looks disgusting, smells disgusting, and tastes disgusting, then I'm gonna do out on a limb here and say it's most likely disgusting.
That is why we have BACON!

A Bacon sandwich with lutefisk dressing ... what a conundrum that would be!
07-06-2016, 07:36 PM   #27694
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lutefish, if prepared properly is just fine. Velveeta would add to the experience favorably how ever :0

07-06-2016, 08:39 PM   #27695
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
To paraphrase a wise sage, "We won't be discussing politics here."
Well I won't be posting the American National Anthem then......can you tell me what nations are acceptable? What flags? I don't want to get any more warning notices for a while...I like one at a time!

Sat in a metal chair all day in Ft Worth.....almost 6 hours.....waiting for a new headliner to be installed in the TT....the old one just dropped...the heat and humidity here is awesome, and after all it was almost 15 years old. Too much heat, too much humidity.

The new one is superb, but I have a story about the experience...and photos...later, I'm all worn out! I also learned that if the posted speed limit is 75mph...you are required by other drivers to do 90mph.....Soon only race car drivers will be qualified to get on the highways around here.

Regards!
07-06-2016, 08:45 PM   #27696
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I also learned that if the posted speed limit is 75mph...you are required by other drivers to do 90mph.....Soon only race car drivers will be qualified to get on the highways around here.
Don't complain. Here, if the posted limit is 100km/h, most people drive 80. It drives me bat(excrement).
07-06-2016, 08:54 PM   #27697
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Don't complain. Here, if the posted limit is 100km/h, most people drive 80. It drives me bat(excrement).
I've noticed this trend getting worse lately. It coincides with the lack of cops I see on roads nowadays......used to be on a trip to the city I would see at least 4-5...but today not a single one. Is this National Donut Month?

07-06-2016, 09:02 PM   #27698
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I've noticed this trend getting worse lately. It coincides with the lack of cops I see on roads nowadays......used to be on a trip to the city I would see at least 4-5...but today not a single one. Is this National Donut Month?
Anything I say to that may be deemed political, so I'll just shut up now!
07-06-2016, 09:07 PM   #27699
Veteran Member

Anything I say to that may be deemed political, so I'll just shut up now!
Well...you can wave your flag....just not mine! I'd better shut up too......Otis is giving me some bad looks...but I think it is because the squirrels are out of cold beer? For little guys, they can sure put away the cold brew on a 102F day.
07-06-2016, 09:45 PM   #27700
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
May as well put velveeta and vegemite on it at that point. I'm not eating it.
How dare you besmirch vegemite. It is a truly wonderful food. Should get another kg of it when I go Australia next. It is obtainable here but for silly prices.

---------- Post added 07-07-16 at 03:16 PM ----------

How about some Marmite then?
That is an attempt at an imitation of the real thing.

---------- Post added 07-07-16 at 03:25 PM ----------

Here, if you stuck behind a truck with a picture or words that have anything to do with horses or equestrian stuff you're done. The driver drives only at the speed a horse could walk, and keeps it up for miles on roads where one cannot get past.

The other trick some truck drivers use (they are hard limited by equipment to 60mph) but nothing forces them to actually do 60mph. So on the motorway a truck driver doing 60 will pull out to pass one doing 58 and completely block everyone, which is fine for the truck driver because the truck driver is getting paid, but not so good for everyone else. Also, they just pull out when they get to the place they want to pull out without checking if they will cause cars doing 70, the car limit on the same road, to need to brake to avoid running up the back end. It would be better if they said trucks must stay in the left lane and if the one in front is going slow they can give it a boost, just like the old trains did.

The other possibility is forcing slow drivers to pull over and stop frequently to let others past. That way they can still use the road but their impact on everyone else is reduced. Oh, same for cyclists. The roads here are narrow enough that you cannot safely pass a bicycle easily so one cyclist on a country road can collect 10 or 15 cars behind.

Wales did lose in the end. They did well to get where they did.

Last edited by tim60; 07-06-2016 at 10:01 PM.
07-07-2016, 02:49 AM   #27701
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
So on the motorway a truck driver doing 60 will pull out to pass one doing 58 and completely block everyone,
I remember before the Hume Highway (Melbourne to Sydney) was duplicated, there was an famous hill called Pretty Sally and the pavement had been widened to four lanes (2 up, 2 down).
Following a truck up the hill one night, I was just about to overtake when he pulled out to overtake a truck going half a kilometre per hour slower!
Nearly to the top, and what happened? The driver of the faster (no, make that less slow) truck realised he was running out of puff and couldn't make it and pulled in behind the first truck again - just as the two lanes merged into one again!!! I had followed these two rigs going side by side for the entire length of the twin lanes and would have no opportunity to pass for a long way.
07-07-2016, 02:57 AM   #27702
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How dare you besmirch vegemite. It is a truly wonderful food. Should get another kg of it when I go Australia next. It is obtainable here but for silly prices.

---------- Post added 07-07-16 at 03:16 PM ----------

That is an attempt at an imitation of the real thing.

---------- Post added 07-07-16 at 03:25 PM ----------

Here, if you stuck behind a truck with a picture or words that have anything to do with horses or equestrian stuff you're done. The driver drives only at the speed a horse could walk, and keeps it up for miles on roads where one cannot get past.

The other trick some truck drivers use (they are hard limited by equipment to 60mph) but nothing forces them to actually do 60mph. So on the motorway a truck driver doing 60 will pull out to pass one doing 58 and completely block everyone, which is fine for the truck driver because the truck driver is getting paid, but not so good for everyone else. Also, they just pull out when they get to the place they want to pull out without checking if they will cause cars doing 70, the car limit on the same road, to need to brake to avoid running up the back end. It would be better if they said trucks must stay in the left lane and if the one in front is going slow they can give it a boost, just like the old trains did.

The other possibility is forcing slow drivers to pull over and stop frequently to let others past. That way they can still use the road but their impact on everyone else is reduced. Oh, same for cyclists. The roads here are narrow enough that you cannot safely pass a bicycle easily so one cyclist on a country road can collect 10 or 15 cars behind.

Wales did lose in the end. They did well to get where they did.
We have the same nonsense here with trucks restricted to 90km/h and cars allowed 100km/h. But, if your car's towing a trailer or caravan, then 90km/h. Seriously, I think the people who make these rules are brain dead. There would be a lot less accidents if everyone were allowed to go the same speed. The other thing to watch for are farmers with flat-deck utes. they will drive 60km/h because life's so boring, and they just don't want to get back to the farm.

As a cyclist, we take care not to hold up motorists when we cycle in a group. I think inconsiderate cyclists give us all a bad name.
07-07-2016, 02:59 AM   #27703
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Marmite. That is an attempt at an imitation of the real thing.
This could get political!
07-07-2016, 05:14 AM   #27704
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Here in Pierre there's a driving related phenomenon that I've seen nowhere else.
The Pierre right turn.
Proper execution is slowing to half the speed limit 2 blocks before the turn then slowing to 5 mph a half block before. When you get to the driveway, parking lot entrance, etc., you come to a complete stop, count to 3, then procede. Once you're actually into the turn you may (this is optional) turn your turn signal on just to further aggravate the driver behind you.
07-07-2016, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #27705
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Once you're actually into the turn you may (this is optional) turn your turn signal on just to further aggravate the driver behind you.
That has been perfected in Texas....you wait until your turn is complete and you are on a straight path again to turn on your blinker. This is to let drivers know you have successfully completed your turn. We are more courteous and thoughtful down here.....

Sometimes, if you are exceptionally proud of your turn, you will just drive around the rest of the day with that blinker on.