Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2016, 07:05 AM   #27706
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Here in Pierre there's a driving related phenomenon that I've seen nowhere else.
The Pierre right turn.
Proper execution is slowing to half the speed limit 2 blocks before the turn then slowing to 5 mph a half block before. When you get to the driveway, parking lot entrance, etc., you come to a complete stop, count to 3, then procede. Once you're actually into the turn you may (this is optional) turn your turn signal on just to further aggravate the driver behind you.
There is one more step in this sequence which is unusually carried out by those old enough to have drove older heavier, longer, wider vehicles (aka:boat cars) although they probabably driving a newer car they are still going through the moves, as you approach the driveway you must turn the steering wheel in the opposite direction of the driveway allowing the vehicle to pull out wide Then back again in the direction of the driveway making a large sweeping arc so's you can have the car headed into the the general direction right before you make the complete stop. You may also want to turn the steering wheel some more during the complete stop. ( this is also done by younger newer drivers just from lack of experience)

07-07-2016, 07:42 AM   #27707
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I did it!
I went to the city to have my TT headliner replaced and waited at the shop while it was done...almost 6 hours.

Very particular about the TT...so I pulled up to this shop and almost backed out. It was in a run down part of town, looked like a bunch of tin roofs thrown up over some dilapidated old wooden homes, and ringed with a tall cyclone fence with barbed wire at the top like a prison. A big guy came out to greet me....."Whatcha need?" I told him I had called and made an appointment......."Oh yeah, I forgot about that."

I need to wait here as I have no ride, do you have a waiting room? "Yeah, sort of...come on inside."

So I spent the rest of the day in the "waiting room"...and what I did was to read the K1 manual ...twice! It even amazed me that I did it.....and even more that I understood....some of it!

The waiting room...No A/C but a nice big fan pointed in my direction!
Name:  DSCF0322.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  188.3 KB

I was lucky...I got the only chair!
Name:  DSCF0317.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  167.8 KB

And I read and read! ....and read some more! Need K1 answers? I got 'em...maybe?
Name:  DSCF0320.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  135.9 KB

The place came highly recommended by my body shop and by Allstate.....is this a big mistake? Over the day I talked with the big guy for a long spell...you know old Rupert can do some talkin'! Very fine and nice guy...has had the shop for 30+years and does warranty work in upholstery for all the big car dealers in Ft Worth.

So how did he do? Absolutely perfect and beautiful..which is no easy job on a TT with all the high class trim surrounding the headliner, the mirror, and the upper light/control panel. Total satisfaction!

Which proves you can't judge a book by its cover.....unless the cover is like this one......one of my favorite subjects!

I started to bring it instead of the Pentax K1 manual ....but remembered I am on probation for trashy thoughts, so decided it "wasn't appropriate".

Finally...a day that went all right, not wrong! This clean living must be good for me?

Regards!

BTW...In this shady part of town I passed by 4 Strip Clubs on my way back home and didn't even stop to get a cold drink or use the restroom! Mrs Rupert would be so proud of me.....if she knew I avoided all temptation...but she won't! I'm taking my truck for new seat covers and a headliner next week and if I tell her she will take a day off and go with me.
07-07-2016, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #27708
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Guy driving down the road with one arm around his girlfriend gets pulled over.
The cop says Don't you know you're supposed to do that with both hands?
Guy gives a sheepish grin and says Yeah, but I gotta drive with one of them.

Remember necker's knobs?
(probably best you bite your tongue Rupert)
07-07-2016, 08:23 AM   #27709
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Remember necker's knobs?
I do remember some knobs from the good ol' Days...but not sure they are what you are referring to? They were just below the neck.....

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
(probably best you bite your tongue Rupert)
If I took that advice literally every time I got it, I wouldn't have a damn tongue left to bite.

07-07-2016, 08:29 AM   #27710
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Here in Pierre there's a driving related phenomenon that I've seen nowhere else.
The Pierre right turn.
Proper execution is slowing to half the speed limit 2 blocks before the turn then slowing to 5 mph a half block before. When you get to the driveway, parking lot entrance, etc., you come to a complete stop, count to 3, then procede. Once you're actually into the turn you may (this is optional) turn your turn signal on just to further aggravate the driver behind you.

Must be a lot of old retired folks there.

07-07-2016, 08:35 AM   #27711
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I did it!
I went to the city to have my TT headliner replaced and waited at the shop while it was done...almost 6 hours.

Very particular about the TT...so I pulled up to this shop and almost backed out. It was in a run down part of town, looked like a bunch of tin roofs thrown up over some dilapidated old wooden homes, and ringed with a tall cyclone fence with barbed wire at the top like a prison. A big guy came out to greet me....."Whatcha need?" I told him I had called and made an appointment......."Oh yeah, I forgot about that."

I need to wait here as I have no ride, do you have a waiting room? "Yeah, sort of...come on inside."

So I spent the rest of the day in the "waiting room"...and what I did was to read the K1 manual ...twice! It even amazed me that I did it.....and even more that I understood....some of it!

The waiting room...No A/C but a nice big fan pointed in my direction!
Attachment 316958

I was lucky...I got the only chair!
Attachment 316960

And I read and read! ....and read some more! Need K1 answers? I got 'em...maybe?
Attachment 316962

The place came highly recommended by my body shop and by Allstate.....is this a big mistake? Over the day I talked with the big guy for a long spell...you know old Rupert can do some talkin'! Very fine and nice guy...has had the shop for 30+years and does warranty work in upholstery for all the big car dealers in Ft Worth.

So how did he do? Absolutely perfect and beautiful..which is no easy job on a TT with all the high class trim surrounding the headliner, the mirror, and the upper light/control panel. Total satisfaction!

Which proves you can't judge a book by its cover.....unless the cover is like this one......one of my favorite subjects!

I started to bring it instead of the Pentax K1 manual ....but remembered I am on probation for trashy thoughts, so decided it "wasn't appropriate".

Finally...a day that went all right, not wrong! This clean living must be good for me?

Regards!

BTW...In this shady part of town I passed by 4 Strip Clubs on my way back home and didn't even stop to get a cold drink or use the restroom! Mrs Rupert would be so proud of me.....if she knew I avoided all temptation...but she won't! I'm taking my truck for new seat covers and a headliner next week and if I tell her she will take a day off and go with me.

Nice shots of the upholstery shop Jim.

How about before and after of the Audi?
07-07-2016, 08:42 AM - 3 Likes   #27712
Pentaxian

The Pierre right turn.
So, you mean that it looks like this ... ?

07-07-2016, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #27713
Pentaxian

Just FYI ...

07-07-2016, 08:46 AM   #27714
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I won't be posting the American National Anthem then......can you tell me what nations are acceptable? What flags? I don't want to get any more warning notices for a while...I like one at a time!

I'll have to confer with the senior staff members, but as I read the rules, expression of patriotism is not political.

Here, let me show my civic pride.

I also learned that if the posted speed limit is 75mph...you are required by other drivers to do 90mph.....Soon only race car drivers will be qualified to get on the highways around here.

Imagine how it feels out in West Texas where the limit is 85.

Zoom!

Zoom!
07-07-2016, 08:53 AM   #27715
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote

Crazy French Driving! - YouTube

I find it amazing how there are no traffic signals.
07-07-2016, 09:00 AM   #27716
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Nothing quite like a drive through the French countryside in June at la Sarthe.

07-07-2016, 09:13 AM   #27717
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote

Crazy French Driving! - YouTube
No, the only time I've ever seen anything like that was last year in Fort Worth.
We went through it three times. That was two too many.
07-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #27718
Veteran Member

I do remember some knobs from the good ol' Days...but not sure they are what you are referring to?
A brodie knob (alternate spelling brody knob) is a knob that attaches to the steering wheel of an automobile or other vehicle or equipment with a steering wheel. Other names for this knob include: suicide, necker, granny, knuckle buster, and wheel spinner.
07-07-2016, 10:17 AM   #27719
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

My dad always had one on the steering wheel of his pickup. Usually they were quite ornate, made from an 8-ball, or cast in clear resin with some nick nack inside, such as dice, a fishing fly, or a scorpion.

Today they are generally considered illegal, save for handicapped drivers.

I have an 8 ball one on my Ford 8N, and an OEM Kubota one on my Kubota riding mower.

07-07-2016, 10:28 AM   #27720
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
The other trick some truck drivers use (they are hard limited by equipment to 60mph) but nothing forces them to actually do 60mph. So on the motorway a truck driver doing 60 will pull out to pass one doing 58 and completely block everyone, which is fine for the truck driver because the truck driver is getting paid, but not so good for everyone else. Also, they just pull out when they get to the place they want to pull out without checking if they will cause cars doing 70, the car limit on the same road, to need to brake to avoid running up the back end. It would be better if they said trucks must stay in the left lane and if the one in front is going slow they can give it a boost, just like the old trains did.

The other possibility is forcing slow drivers to pull over and stop frequently to let others past. That way they can still use the road but their impact on everyone else is reduced. Oh, same for cyclists. The roads here are narrow enough that you cannot safely pass a bicycle easily so one cyclist on a country road can collect 10 or 15 cars behind.
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I remember before the Hume Highway (Melbourne to Sydney) was duplicated, there was an famous hill called Pretty Sally and the pavement had been widened to four lanes (2 up, 2 down).
Following a truck up the hill one night, I was just about to overtake when he pulled out to overtake a truck going half a kilometre per hour slower!
Nearly to the top, and what happened? The driver of the faster (no, make that less slow) truck realised he was running out of puff and couldn't make it and pulled in behind the first truck again - just as the two lanes merged into one again!!! I had followed these two rigs going side by side for the entire length of the twin lanes and would have no opportunity to pass for a long way.
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
We have the same nonsense here with trucks restricted to 90km/h and cars allowed 100km/h. But, if your car's towing a trailer or caravan, then 90km/h. Seriously, I think the people who make these rules are brain dead. There would be a lot less accidents if everyone were allowed to go the same speed. The other thing to watch for are farmers with flat-deck utes. they will drive 60km/h because life's so boring, and they just don't want to get back to the farm.

It sucks to get caught behind a group of castrated trucks, all mechanically limited to 60mph. What the drivers of those rigs fail to grasp is that they are not the only ones on the road. When I drove none of the rigs I had were limited, the only limiting factors were the gearing (usually around 100mph or so) and my desire to drive legally and safely.

Still, I wish I had a dollar for every time I was caught behind a cluster of rigs 'racing' at 58 to 60 mph.