Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2016, 04:00 PM   #28096
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by originalwinger Quote
I've never posted here before but did someone mention beer the kind that comes in a tall glass, amber coloured, moisture rolling down the sides, yes it's hot here too, 30 with a humidex of 34 C (Canada ah ! ) and sadly no beer truck delivery.
Welcome. Seeing as you're already on topic I think we can forgo with the usual thread participation test. Of at the very least questions one through nine.

07-23-2016, 04:01 PM   #28097
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Ah yes, doo-maass wine from Walla Walla, Washington.
Quite a well known name around Toronto as well.
07-23-2016, 04:08 PM   #28098
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some joker decided to try to evade the Police in our town and took a shortcut through the local gas station at speed.

Oh, and you can see our extortion type fuel prices - That's per litre. A US gallon is 3.78 litres. More than 55% of our fuel price is tax.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-23-2016, 04:20 PM   #28099
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Some joker decided to try to evade the Police in our town and took a shortcut through the local gas station at speed.

Oh, and you can see our extortion type fuel prices - That's per litre. A US gallon is 3.78 litres. More than 55% of our fuel price is tax.

Caltex.

Sounds like a mashup between California and Texaco.

I see the sign mentions Techron.

Techron is an additive that Chevron uses here. It can also be had full strength at the auto parts store to dump directly into the tank. Cleans injectors and clears carbon deposits very well.

07-23-2016, 04:24 PM   #28100
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a bit over $7 a gallon.

Robbery!

But diesel is cheaper than gasoline.

Nice.
07-23-2016, 04:27 PM   #28101
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Welcome. Seeing as you're already on topic I think we can forgo with the usual thread participation test. Of at the very least questions one through nine.
Well hell, there goes our high standards here. Next thing you know a bunch of damn squirrels will be let in and running the place.
07-23-2016, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #28102
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Caltex.
Sounds like a mashup between California and Texaco.
I see the sign mentions Techron.
Techron is an additive that Chevron uses here. It can also be had full strength at the auto parts store to dump directly into the tank. Cleans injectors and clears carbon deposits very well.
According to Wikipedia: "Caltex began in 1936 as the California Texas Oil Company, a joint venture between the Texas Company (later named Texaco) and Standard Oil of California." And, "Caltex is a petroleum brand name of Chevron Corporation used in more than 60 countries in the Asia-Pacific region, the Middle East, and Southern Africa."

We also have Mobil, BP (British Petroleum), Gull, GassolineAlley, Challenge and Z. 'Z' is a local brand with the same colours as Shell which came about when Royal Dutch Shell decided to exit New Zealand.
I still favour Shell in our Dining Room.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-23-2016, 04:35 PM   #28103
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a bit over $7 a gallon.

Robbery!

But diesel is cheaper than gasoline.

Nice.
Yes, daylight robbery. Makes running a V8 expensive. That should be a firing squad offence. Is Diesel more expensive than petrol by you?
07-23-2016, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #28104
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Well hell, there goes our high standards here. Next thing you know a bunch of damn squirrels will be let in and running the place.
Well, he still needs to deal with questions 10 through 69!
07-23-2016, 07:00 PM   #28105
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, daylight robbery. Makes running a V8 expensive. That should be a firing squad offence. Is Diesel more expensive than petrol by you?

When I bought the Dodge in 2001 diesel was running 10 cents or so lower than regular. Shortly after it began to climb, and was soon as much as, or higher than premium.

Lately it is running about the same as regular.

I filled the Subaru with regular yesterday for $2.69 a gallon. It had been just under two bucks a gallon last spring.

The current pricing is a relief. A few years ago it was running $4 to $5 a gallon.

Still nothing like you have to pay to be sure, but high nonetheless. A large portion of the fuel costs are taxes too, but I never bother myself with the details.

The stress would kill me.

A side note.

When I first started driving gas was 30 cents or so a gallon. Then the gas wars came and it got down to 19 cents a gallon. My dad had a half dozen 50 gallon barrels and we would load them in the pickup and go to town and fill them. Back home we rolled them down a ramp into the barn and waited for the prices to climb.

A hedge on inflation I suppose.
07-23-2016, 07:03 PM   #28106
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Dining room?

You need a man cave Mark.
07-23-2016, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #28107
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dining room?

You need a man cave Mark.
No, it's been in the Dining Room since I restored it. (My wife likes it!) We once went to a party where someone we did not know asked me where we lived. I gave the suburb. The person replied that they had heard of people with a petrol pump in their dining room living in that suburb - Had we heard of them?

The strangest thing is that you'll basically get two types of new visitors to the house: Type 1 says something along the lines of: "You have a petrol pump in the house!" The're OK and will get invited back. Type 2 pretends it does not exist.

I keep my enamel sign collection in the man cave.
07-23-2016, 07:41 PM   #28108
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I bought the Dodge in 2001 diesel was running 10 cents or so lower than regular. Shortly after it began to climb, and was soon as much as, or higher than premium.

Lately it is running about the same as regular.

I filled the Subaru with regular yesterday for $2.69 a gallon. It had been just under two bucks a gallon last spring.

The current pricing is a relief. A few years ago it was running $4 to $5 a gallon.

Still nothing like you have to pay to be sure, but high nonetheless. A large portion of the fuel costs are taxes too, but I never bother myself with the details.

The stress would kill me.

A side note.

When I first started driving gas was 30 cents or so a gallon. Then the gas wars came and it got down to 19 cents a gallon. My dad had a half dozen 50 gallon barrels and we would load them in the pickup and go to town and fill them. Back home we rolled them down a ramp into the barn and waited for the prices to climb.

A hedge on inflation I suppose.
Our's is "cheap" now. At one point, a few years back, we were paying $2.50 per litre. When I restored the pump I checked petrol prices for 1953. 36c per gallon!
07-23-2016, 09:00 PM   #28109
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Strange as that is, it reminded me of a service call I went on about 15 years ago. It was a referral by one of my good customers and the guy lived way back in the country in a double wide mobile home. Field mice had infested the belly of his house and gnawed holes in his water lines...not an uncommon thing at the first frost of winter.
After we made the repairs I went inside do do the paper work, and found the home immaculate and well furnished as I sat at the dining table and prepared his bill. He paid me and I went to leave out the front door....and there in the living room was a fully restored '58 Corvette.

He not only had it there for safekeeping, he had done most of the restoration in the house. One of the bedrooms was an "engine room" where he had totally rebuilt the engine. He showed me the removable sections of the front wall where he took it in and could take it out with about a days work.

Strangest thing I ever saw....well, along those lines. I saw a lot of strange things, like the woman with a real live bobcat that was mostly still wild.....or the other woman that had 20 something raccoons living inside with her. Then there were the pigs that lived in a guest room...real pigs. You see a lot when you do service work.

Those pumps are pretty damn neat. The only thing I'd like to have is a big brass pole from floor to ceiling ...and the girls to dance around it! I could trash my TV which is a depressing nuisance anyhow.
07-23-2016, 09:17 PM   #28110
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Strange as that is, it reminded me of a service call I went on about 15 years ago. It was a referral by one of my good customers and the guy lived way back in the country in a double wide mobile home. Field mice had infested the belly of his house and gnawed holes in his water lines...not an uncommon thing at the first frost of winter.
After we made the repairs I went inside do do the paper work, and found the home immaculate and well furnished as I sat at the dining table and prepared his bill. He paid me and I went to leave out the front door....and there in the living room was a fully restored '58 Corvette.

He not only had it there for safekeeping, he had done most of the restoration in the house. One of the bedrooms was an "engine room" where he had totally rebuilt the engine. He showed me the removable sections of the front wall where he took it in and could take it out with about a days work.

Strangest thing I ever saw....well, along those lines. I saw a lot of strange things, like the woman with a real live bobcat that was mostly still wild.....or the other woman that had 20 something raccoons living inside with her. Then there were the pigs that lived in a guest room...real pigs. You see a lot when you do service work.

Those pumps are pretty damn neat. The only thing I'd like to have is a big brass pole from floor to ceiling ...and the girls to dance around it! I could trash my TV which is a depressing nuisance anyhow.
Great! A friend of mine once, when his wife was away to her relatives, took the ranch slider out of the living room, put his 1930's Rolls Royce in the living room, to respray the car. He figured it was a good dust free environment to repaint the car. When he was done, he took the car back out and then redecorated the living room, new paint, carpet, etc. When his wife came home she was delighted to find both the Rolls restored and the living room redecorated. She never did find out that the living room was the spray booth.