Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
08-19-2016, 02:09 PM   #28636
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Ah, but this complete fluid Sunday morning breakfast should be perfect on a, well, Sunday morning.
All you need are some good vodka, pickled asparagus spears, celery, ice, and a tall glass.

Perfect start for a Sunday morning!

08-19-2016, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #28637
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Glad to see yousurvived the night, Racer X ... we were taking bets!
I didn't get to sleep until after 4 am.

Got up relatively early, 9:42 am.

Time to have lunch already.

Linguini with clam sauce.

Accompanied with a Stella.

Making preparations for a memorial tomorrow. My sister and her husband will be here later today. Early Saturday we drive up to Whidbey Island, where my dad was stationed in the Navy in '66 & '67. We are going to scatter his ashes on the beach.

Dad arrived yesterday, in an oak box, inside of a bubble wrap bag, inside of a cardboard box surrounded by hobby horse turds (packing peanuts), inside of another cardboard box surrounded by even more hobby horse turds, inside of a third cardboard box comfortably cushioned by a final bed of hobby horse turds, clearly marked "Cremated Remains" .

Now I don't know if it is a requirement or not, my sister had dad shipped up from Sacramento, so the details were on her. I just found myself wondering why the US Postal Service didn't supply pallbearers.

After all, they charged $113 to deliver him here.

Maybe they actually read the label and conferred the correct amount of respect. The package, all three boxes, the bubble wrap and hobby horse turds arrived in what appears to be the same condition it was handed over to the Postal Service in down in California.

No dented corners, punctured sides or accordion looking wrinkles in the sides.

Maybe there is something good about the Post Office after all.

OK, off to the linguini and the Stella.
08-19-2016, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #28638
Site Supporter

Sorry to hear of your dad. My husband is still inside the plastic crematory bag with the metal id tag inside a gallon Ziploc inside a plastic flip top box inside a white cardboard box from the crematorium. He's sitting on the mantle. I need to order an urn.
08-19-2016, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #28639
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My condolences on the loss of your dad Racer.
If your sister did the packing, it seems she wanted him to have a comfortable ride up the coast, and it also seems she succeeded.

08-19-2016, 03:14 PM   #28640
Pentaxian

Hey!! On what page here did I miss the note that the II model does Not say 'Ricoh' on the back?
Did the OP get one of those?
08-19-2016, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #28641
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Sorry to hear of your dad.

Thank you Amy.

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
My husband is still inside the plastic crematory bag with the metal id tag inside a gallon Ziploc inside a plastic flip top box inside a white cardboard box from the crematorium. He's sitting on the mantle. I need to order an urn.

When he passed away my sister took care if everything, after all she lived near him, and visited monthly to look in on him in his final years.

During the 5 years I drove big trucks I stopped by whenever a load had me passing by.

I thought she would always keep him on her mantle, but apparently she has had a change of heart. She contacted me a couple weeks ago to begin a dialogue about spreading the remains. Since we lived in the Pacific Northwet for a time in the 60's, and then again from '70 until going out in our own, I think she feels roots here.

I know for me this is home, having lived and worked here continuously since 1970.

So we have decided the beach on the West side of the island, adjacent to the Naval Air Station NAS Whidbey would make a suitable location.

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
My condolences on the loss of your dad Racer.

Thanks Bob

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
If your sister did the packing, it seems she wanted him to have a comfortable ride up the coast, and it also seems she succeeded.

That she did.

08-19-2016, 03:23 PM   #28642
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Hey!! On what page here did I miss the note that the II model does Not say 'Ricoh' on the back?
Did the OP get one of those?

We do not discuss the Child of HociR.

And if the OP has one, he ain't sayin'.

08-19-2016, 03:48 PM   #28643
mee
Veteran Member

At this point it might make more sense to wait for Photokina, since it is just a month away, and see what Pentax gear is shown/announced/launched ?
08-19-2016, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #28644
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Not sure exactly what this is, but it looks tasty. Bacon wrapped onion rings maybe?
That's the ones I want!
08-19-2016, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #28645
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
At this point it might make more sense to wait for Photokina, since it is just a month away, and see what Pentax gear is shown/announced/launched ?

Gear talk!

08-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #28646
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote

Eat some bacon.

It will help you feel much better.

I promise.
08-19-2016, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #28647
Veteran Member

My condolences also, to your loss Racer. My Dad died over 10 years ago.....on Mrs Rupert's birthday. Being the only son, I had no time to really grieve and had to be there in solid force for my Mom. I still don't think I have ever come to grips with his passing.

With every such loss, a part of us goes too. I think it is what makes us old.
08-19-2016, 08:00 PM   #28648
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
My condolences also, to your loss Racer. My Dad died over 10 years ago.....on Mrs Rupert's birthday. Being the only son, I had no time to really grieve and had to be there in solid force for my Mom. I still don't think I have ever come to grips with his passing.

With every such loss, a part of us goes too. I think it is what makes us old.

Thank you Jim.
08-19-2016, 09:16 PM   #28649
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you Amy.

When he passed away my sister took care if everything, after all she lived near him, and visited monthly to look in on him in his final years.

During the 5 years I drove big trucks I stopped by whenever a load had me passing by.

I thought she would always keep him on her mantle, but apparently she has had a change of heart. She contacted me a couple weeks ago to begin a dialogue about spreading the remains. Since we lived in the Pacific Northwet for a time in the 60's, and then again from '70 until going out in our own, I think she feels roots here.

I know for me this is home, having lived and worked here continuously since 1970.

So we have decided the beach on the West side of the island, adjacent to the Naval Air Station NAS Whidbey would make a suitable location.

Thanks Bob

That she did.

Please accept my condolences Racer. It sounds like you've picked a good spot for your dad's final resting place.
On a slightly lighter note - make sure you pick a day when the wind is blowing offshore.
08-19-2016, 09:46 PM   #28650
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Ah, yes, you mentioned this was going to happen.

Hope it all goes well. My dad's funeral turned out to have a celebration of his life feel.

We probably should have done some kind of memorial event a few years later when there were still some of his friends and siblings around.