Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2016, 10:20 PM   #28846
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Malaysia?
Racer, you missed one of the clues: listed on ASX.

---------- Post added 08-29-16 at 03:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
That's the airline that, statistically, is now the safest airline in the world.
That is one of the bizarre things about statistics. Disraeli was right in describing statistics.

---------- Post added 08-29-16 at 03:53 PM ----------

Qantas? Flew Sydney - JBH quite a few times with them. 14h20min. flight. Once, the food was inedible, and I generally like airplane food. Another time, the entire plane's entertainment system packed up 1 hour into the flight.
Racer, you read more carefully. Must have done well in reading comprehension tests at school.

---------- Post added 08-29-16 at 03:55 PM ----------

Statistically, yes, very safe. What's the chances of Malaysia losing another airplane after that?
But tht reasoning is one of the fallacies of statistics, invoked by many gamblers, to their detriment.

---------- Post added 08-29-16 at 04:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
They could probably be well advised to change their name.

Like Lufthansa, IIRC, they continued to fly over the East Ukraine despite the danger.
At the time the advice was that there were no weapons on the ground that could get to full cruising height, and the flight was at normal cruising level. I recall the airspace restrictions were about 30,000 feet and they were higher. I know someone with a friend on board who had posted a facebook to the effect of feeling unusually nervous before departure. Not the same person as posted the video of people loading stuff into the overhead lockers.

---------- Post added 08-29-16 at 04:02 PM ----------

They could probably be well advised to change their name.

Like Lufthansa, IIRC, they continued to fly over the East Ukraine despite the danger.
At the time the advice was that there were no weapons on the ground that could get to full cruising height, and the flight was at normal cruising level. I recall the airspace restrictions were about 30,000 feet and they were higher. I know someone with a friend on board who had posted a facebook to the effect of feeling unusually nervous before departure. Not the same person as posted the video of people loading stuff into the overhead lockers.

08-29-2016, 01:41 AM   #28847
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
]

At the time the advice was that there were no weapons on the ground that could get to full cruising height, and the flight was at normal cruising level. I recall the airspace restrictions were about 30,000 feet and they were higher.
Afterwards this mistake was called by the Dutch inquiry. That Malaysian was only one of many doing it is probably small comfort. :-(

http://www.smh.com.au/business/aviation/malaysia-airlines-heeds-mh17-lesson-...14-gk8pni.html

08-29-2016, 04:13 AM   #28848
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Certainly ended the South's attempts to take Washington, et al.

Yes, the Ted Turner movie 'Gettysburg' celebrates this action by Joshua Chamberlain on Day Two. Holding Little Round Top meant the Union line held and its mass would be too difficult to shift for the rest of the battle.
Certainly the battle as a whole was critical to ultimate Union victory, but people are always looking for THE ONE THING that tipped the outcome of the battle. Picket's charge is one event, Chamberlain's defense of Little Round Top is another. But it was a two day battle, and no one can know "what would have happened if*" this or that incident had not happened or came out differently.

*So often I have heard someone speculate: "Image what would have happened if this had turned out differently," or someone says: "Suppose that so-and-so had not been killed (or had escaped, or done this instead of that, or got the order, or did not get the order, or won the election instead of losing, etc. etc." All such change-history discussions are vacuous fairy tales.
08-29-2016, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #28849
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Contra-factive history discussions can be entertaining, but hardly very useful. Analysing the effects of some action or event could be educational, though. At least in theory. In practice our race has shown itself, to an impressive degree, incapable of learning from history.

08-29-2016, 04:54 AM   #28850
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Contra-factive history discussions can be entertaining, but hardly very useful. Analysing the effects of some action or event could be educational, though. At least in theory. In practice our race has shown itself, to an impressive degree, incapable of learning from history.
Yes. As someone who gets quoted once said: "History repeats itself. That's the trouble with history."
A cynic, perhaps Napoleon?, asked rhetorically: "What is history but fairy tales to which we all ascribe?"

and I'll insert a quote from me: a cynic is someone who tells a truth you recognize but do not wish to acknowledge.
08-29-2016, 05:21 AM   #28851
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Did you ever get it back?
Yeah, the next day.

How on earth do they lose "carry-on" luggage????
Small plane. "carry-on" is actually checked planes side then you pick it up as you get off. They took it off at the wrong stop. I guess someone thought PIR on the tag stood for Scott's Bluff, Nebraska.
08-29-2016, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #28852
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Yes. As someone who gets quoted once said: "History repeats itself. That's the trouble with history."
A cynic, perhaps Napoleon?, asked rhetorically: "What is history but fairy tales to which we all ascribe?"

and I'll insert a quote from me: a cynic is someone who tells a truth you recognize but do not wish to acknowledge.
Aye. I sometimes don't want to acknowledge my own truths

Not sure if I'm quoting, or maybe paraphrasing, someone else or if I'm just being amazingly insightful today (not very likely), but here goes: History repeats itself so that we can ignore it - again.

08-29-2016, 08:42 AM   #28853
Veteran Member

We almost flew to Oregon instead of driving. It would have been quick...instead of the 5400 miles I ended up driving.

However....we would have missed all the gorgeous scenery we saw along the way...such beauty, and so much of it!

Mrs Rupert asked me to once again thank Racer for that advice to get off the Interstate and cut across Oregon on Hwys 20/26 to Albany. It was one of the most talked about parts of our trip. A very excellent highway with almost no traffic and twisty roads through miles and miles of wonderful forests and a few tiny mountain towns. Clear streams and deep canyons, painted hills and wonderful views for a day and a half. It was indeed one of the best parts of out trip. No traffic, so we could go at our own pace and enjoy...twisty roads to satisfy the little TT...and some neat little towns in the mountains like John Day to stop and eat, get gas and talk to the people. Wonderful...Thanks again Racer!

You don't see this kind of stuff at 30,000 feet in a cramped seat with some guy next to you that has gas and is bulging out of his seat, do you!

If you are ever out that way don't miss that drive!
Name:  Oregon.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  280.1 KB

Regards!
08-29-2016, 10:55 AM   #28854
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
We almost flew to Oregon instead of driving. It would have been quick...instead of the 5400 miles I ended up driving.

However....we would have missed all the gorgeous scenery we saw along the way...such beauty, and so much of it!

Mrs Rupert asked me to once again thank Racer for that advice to get off the Interstate and cut across Oregon on Hwys 20/26 to Albany. It was one of the most talked about parts of our trip. A very excellent highway with almost no traffic and twisty roads through miles and miles of wonderful forests and a few tiny mountain towns. Clear streams and deep canyons, painted hills and wonderful views for a day and a half. It was indeed one of the best parts of out trip. No traffic, so we could go at our own pace and enjoy...twisty roads to satisfy the little TT...and some neat little towns in the mountains like John Day to stop and eat, get gas and talk to the people. Wonderful...Thanks again Racer!

You're very welcome Jim.

And keep in mind, there are tens of thousands of miles of two lane highways, all over this great land. Don't leave out Canuckistan either.

In the 5 years I drove Big Trucks about half of the 800,000 miles I covered were on two lanes.

The only way to fly.
08-29-2016, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #28855
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Small plane. "carry-on" is actually checked planes side then you pick it up as you get off. They took it off at the wrong stop. I guess someone thought PIR on the tag stood for Scott's Bluff, Nebraska.

Well you gotta consider that the Ramp Rats in small town airstrips usually work in a cornfield and when the see a plane coming in on final they drop the pitchfork and come a runnin'.

Can't always expect then to be able to read.
08-29-2016, 11:03 AM - 2 Likes   #28856
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, and since none of you jokers seem to care I guess I gotta give myself my own props.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RACER!

(I'm this many today)
08-29-2016, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #28857
Veteran Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RACER!
08-29-2016, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #28858
Veteran Member

And keep in mind, there are tens of thousands of miles of two lane highways, all over this great land. Don't leave out Canuckistan either.
Yep.....we took Hwy 83 just out of Abilene and went all the way to Pierre to see Jim & Donna and on to N Dakota to visit Mrs Rupert's nephew a couple of years ago. It was a great road, very little traffic and if you like corn and sunflowers it had heavenly views!

We always go Hwy 281 to San Antone, the best way to go by far. Too bad they are making it divided four lane and it will soon become as busy as the Interstate.

Interstates are fast...unless they are working on them, which is almost always.....but you miss all the scenery and interesting little towns.

I would have loved to have ridden with you those half million miles...snapping away as we went. I could have kept you awake and entertained with about a million Rupert stories.....I probably would have lasted until the first truck stop when you dumped me out!

Regards!
08-29-2016, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #28859
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, and since none of you jokers seem to care I guess I gotta give myself my own props.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RACER!

(I'm this many today)

Happy 104th!!

Well, I've never been good at estimating, but it can't be that far off, right?
08-29-2016, 01:38 PM - 2 Likes   #28860
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I would have loved to have ridden with you those half million miles...snapping away as we went.
"A car whipped past, the driver eating and a passenger clicking a camera. Moving without going anywhere, taking a trip instead of making one. I laughed at the absurdity of the photographs and then realized I, too, was rolling effortlessly along, turning the windshield into a movie screen in which I, the viewer, did the moving while the subject held still. That was the temptation of the American highway, of the American vacation (from the Latin vacare, "to be empty")."
Blue Highways
William Least-Heat Moon
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »