Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108811 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2016, 05:53 PM   #28876
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Those little towns were settled and founded by foreign tourists.
That may be so. But: When you're sitting in the local lunch room and ordinary local folk are gathering outside the front window to look at you as if you're a circus exhibit then it does not feel that way. One local actually came up to me and asked what we were doing. I said: "Looked like a nice town, so we thought we'd stop and have a look around." The reply was: "Why?"

08-29-2016, 06:13 PM   #28877
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I said: "Looked like a nice town, so we thought we'd stop and have a look around." The reply was: "Why?"
Must have been in the NE...sure wasn't in Texas. In Texas the reply would more than likely have been..."Can we buy you a cold beer?"

You want friendly people....go west! Of course, it is all changing nowadays, but I still find Texas to be "Texas Friendly".
08-29-2016, 06:44 PM   #28878
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Must have been in the NE...sure wasn't in Texas. In Texas the reply would more than likely have been..."Can we buy you a cold beer?"

You want friendly people....go west! Of course, it is all changing nowadays, but I still find Texas to be "Texas Friendly".
Southern Ohio. Which was strange. Further South, everyone was very friendly. I'd live in the Carolinas any day! Georgia too. And all these neat places steeped in history, like Harpers Ferry.
08-29-2016, 06:47 PM   #28879
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As for Europe. I've seen bits of France, Belgium and the Netherlands, but Italy is on my bucket list. Have never been there and hope to go, one day.

08-29-2016, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #28880
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well you gotta consider that the Ramp Rats in small town airstrips usually work in a cornfield and when the see a plane coming in on final they drop the pitchfork and come a runnin'.

Can't always expect then to be able to read.
Sounds like when I went to Ernabella in 1972. The plane buzzed the town before flying to the airstrip so we would be met by ground transport. By anyone at all. Google Map the place.
08-29-2016, 10:13 PM   #28881
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
That may be so. But: When you're sitting in the local lunch room and ordinary local folk are gathering outside the front window to look at you as if you're a circus exhibit then it does not feel that way. One local actually came up to me and asked what we were doing. I said: "Looked like a nice town, so we thought we'd stop and have a look around." The reply was: "Why?"
Sounds odd Mark. You look like you wouldn't stand out.

Unless you had on a "I New Zealand" or "I South Africa" shirt on and were carrying a national flag.
08-29-2016, 10:55 PM   #28882
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote

A perfect match Bob!

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Happy 104th!!

Well, I've never been good at estimating, but it can't be that far off, right?
Close.

I'm 420 in dog years.

Happy birthday! I had to turn down the brightness on the monitor lest the thing burn out from those many candles on your cake!
Hope you have a great day.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Happy Birthday old dog!

And you know what I will do with that cold, wet nose.

Oh yeah.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Hope you have welding gloves on, that looks pretty hot!
We dress up like these guys.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Happy Birthday Racer!

My son brought this in from Oregon for me......I was saving it for some special event, but in honor of your birthday I am going to drink it tonight! Very good stuff!

Best Regards and hope for many more to come for you!
I've had that Dead Guy stuff before. Good beer.

We have lots of small local and regional breweries out this way. Lots of choices and variety. Plus, a few of the local mom n pop stores also specialize in small batch beers from all over the place. That is good because I discovered lots of real cool low rate production beers in other parts of the country when I was a driver, and now I find I can ask, and in a few days there are a few six packs. If other customers try it, like it and request it, then it get a regular spot in the cooler.

Beer.

Is there anything it can't do?

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Congratulations!

I assume city statutes meant that three fire engines had to be on standby when you lit that many candles.
I make sure the fire insurance is paid up, and have a few fire extinguishers are handy.

Thanks for the birthday greets everybody!

So Mrs. Racer took me out for dinner. We went to the Sushi Belt, a place where the food runs around the place on a conveyor, on small colored saucers. Each color corresponds to a numerical value, i.e. light green is $1.50, the next color is $2, the next $2.50, and so on. You pick what you like and eat it, and then they tally up the plates, and add on whatever beverages you had.

A fun and low cost way to have a lot of sushi, and a beer.

Then we came home and had homemade German chocolate birthday cake with walnut pecan caramel swirl ice cream.

I'm stuffed!

08-29-2016, 11:18 PM - 1 Like   #28883
Pentaxian

Oh, and since none of you jokers seem to care I guess I gotta give myself my own props.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RACER!

(I'm this many today)
Joyeux anniversaire !!!
08-30-2016, 12:30 AM   #28884
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

As for Europe. I've seen bits of France, Belgium and the Netherlands, but Italy is on my bucket list. Have never been there and hope to go, one day.
I'd like to go on a "slow food" vacation to Northern Italy. But while there are many places I would like to visit (or visit again), my "must see" list isn't very long. São Tomé & Princípe is definitely on that list, though. Even more so after I learnt that it's the 11th least visited country in the world. For instance North Korea had 27 times more visitors last year

No, North Korea is not on my list.

Too darned many tourists!

08-30-2016, 01:44 AM   #28885
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

This wire comes down from a utility pole close by. Looks like a pretty permanent "temporary" solution for... something. Maybe a means for lifting the wire as the tree grows?

08-30-2016, 01:49 AM   #28886
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds odd Mark. You look like you wouldn't stand out.
Unless you had on a "I New Zealand" or "I South Africa" shirt on and were carrying a national flag.
Had even longer hair then, but other than that pretty normal, LOL. No flags.
08-30-2016, 01:51 AM   #28887
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Then we came home and had homemade German chocolate birthday cake with walnut pecan caramel swirl ice cream.
Dang! More drool on the keyboard. That sounds yum!
08-30-2016, 01:52 AM   #28888
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This wire comes down from a utility pole close by. Looks like a pretty permanent "temporary" solution for... something. Maybe a means for lifting the wire as the tree grows?

You're gonna cut that off?
08-30-2016, 02:07 AM   #28889
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I worked 30 years in the electric utility business.

I saw a lot of weird and odd things.

But never anything quite that bad.

It looks like the lower end is cut. Does the upper end attach to anything that looks like it might be energized?
08-30-2016, 02:45 AM   #28890
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Three day battle, Wpresto.
Ooops.