Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
08-31-2016, 02:38 AM   #28906
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
The flag is a symbol enacted by the government, so it is the government's flag.
No, listen to the National Anthem - The flag is much, much more than that. In fact, I wish we took so much pride in our flag.

08-31-2016, 05:24 AM   #28907
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Very neat shot, Rupert!
Thanks! Like everything I do that is half decent....all the credit goes to Otis Squirrel. In fact, he says I would be on the streets panhandling if it wasn't for his wisdom and guidance. I will give him credit for being damn handsome!

The Flag. I have great respect for what the Flag stands for....Texas Flag and American Flag. Seems there is often controversy here concerning the Flag....which is strange since it in itself represents the right to be controversial? Some people confuse it with injustices and unfairness....but those things are not what the Flag represents.....in fact, just the opposite. Men fail....the Flag represents ideas that do not fail.

Nothing political here....freedom respects no politics..........this is brought to you by Otis Squirrel...a true patriot of freedom across the globe! Turn up your volume! I always get a little tear at this...I think of my Dad and his sacrifices for that Flag....and all those that gave so much more....all they had. Freedom is a cherished thing....don't ever forget it!

BTW- That second glass of wine did the trick...I slept like a baby!

Regards!
08-31-2016, 05:47 AM   #28908
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I was thinking of the way Australians tend to rarely fly the flag for themselves and most do not have their own, or maybe just a little indoor one. Different ways in which we express patriotism and identity with our people.
08-31-2016, 06:19 AM   #28909
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was thinking of the way Australians tend to rarely fly the flag
Here in Mi we put up the Australia Flag on Australia Day and Anzac Day.
And on my birthday if Mrs remembers to.

Otherwise the Star Spangled goes up on special days.
Went to Italy once, Rome. The food was good, and most of what I had was slow food styles in various types of establishments that try hard to be at least quite good. But I found their dealing with a request for effecting the payment that would allow one out the door to be unconscionably slow.
I found the same in Venice and Udine.
One night we ( Friend from Pa, a metallurgist, and all metallurgists like to joke) went to a very nice place for dinner in centre of Udine.
La cameriera was very prim and proper and we could not raise a smile all night.
But the next night we went back and she was all smiles and brought a couple of cold ones over without us even asking!

08-31-2016, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #28910
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I think I`ll have one of these after work this evening. A very fine European Lager that will keep me from falling for the hociR!
Ahhh ... a real Bud.
08-31-2016, 11:17 AM   #28911
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Ahhh ... a real Bud.
Before all the craft beers came along I used to drink Bud.....a lot of Bud! I liked the unique flavor and it seemed to me more carbonated, which I liked.
Nowadays people want to ridicule it...big corporation and all.....but I wouldn't turn one down, I still like a cold Bud!

I will say that Dead Guy stuff is one fine drink! I seldom drink anymore, but if I lived near that Dead Guy availability I just might?

I finally developed a taste for the Winking Owl California Merlot........I can now swallow it down without choking.
08-31-2016, 07:38 PM   #28912
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was thinking of the way Australians tend to rarely fly the flag for themselves and most do not have their own, or maybe just a little indoor one. Different ways in which we express patriotism and identity with our people.
Here too, it's a rare thing to see a flag pole outside a house. While, in the USA, it's a very common sight. I like a bit of national pride. Not too much, but a little is good!
Not to self: Complete that flag pole and plant it in the yard.

08-31-2016, 08:28 PM   #28913
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have a small pewter vase in which I have a small Australian flag, like the ones that are common around 26/1 and a slightly larger and better other flag from another country which was given to my wife by the representatives of her country in Australia.

I do not think the difference means people in Australia and NZ do not have national pride I think it is just expressed differently in dynamic action rather than in tangible objects/symbols. Social scientists could really go to town on that idea with all manner of pompous language that ends up obscuring the point and after a while when their are many earlier ones to cite they could write papers that read just like a phone book and end up not telling a story.

Mark: I note you are a Pentaxian since 1988. The 200th anniversary of the establishment of the first jail in Australia! In Australian perversity those whose ancestors lived there take great pride in the fact. Many of the inmates were interred there for heinous crimes like feeding their kids, with bread they had not paid for and were not given. But that makes you rather a newbie. I got my first Pentax in February 1981. Still have it upstairs but have not used it for a long time.

Last edited by tim60; 08-31-2016 at 08:34 PM.
09-01-2016, 01:24 AM   #28914
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mark: I note you are a Pentaxian since 1988. The 200th anniversary of the establishment of the first jail in Australia! In Australian perversity those whose ancestors lived there take great pride in the fact. Many of the inmates were interred there for heinous crimes like feeding their kids, with bread they had not paid for and were not given. But that makes you rather a newbie. I got my first Pentax in February 1981. Still have it upstairs but have not used it for a long time.
Yes, I finished school in '84. I've wanted a camera long before then, but it was always out of reach. After army and studies, I walked into my favourite camera shop, Shaps Cameraland, and bought a one week old second hand SFX. (The previous owner was an airline pilot who had a little business going on the side selling "secondhand" cameras which he had bought overseas.) This was sanctions time in South Africa, after all. My first lens was the 35-70. Still a sharp lens. Next, I got an SFXn and later, in around '95, a Z10.

Gerald Shap was a lovely guy with a real passion for photography. In those days, Shaps was one of only two camera shops in Cape Town that stocked Pentax. The other was Tothills. Cameraland still exist, and still sells Pentax. See About Us Cameraland.co.za Cape Town They have been around since 1958. One of the employees, Richard, has been there since 1969! They had a proper enlarger setup upstairs where one could turn the enlarger sideways and tape the photographic paper to the wall and go large!
09-01-2016, 01:45 AM   #28915
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've just been to their staff listing page: Wow - blast from the past! Meet the Team Cameraland.co.za Cape Town
Gary Shap is Gerald's son. Richard Williams has been there forever. Chris Davids since at least the early '90's. Rose Bezuidenhoud has been the go-to person when you need things to happen fast for as long as I can remember - since at least the early '80's.
09-01-2016, 04:47 AM - 2 Likes   #28916
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Here too, it's a rare thing to see a flag pole outside a house. While, in the USA, it's a very common sight. I like a bit of national pride. Not too much, but a little is good!
We keep the Flag flying here....Mrs Rupert insists. I get the job of keeping it properly displayed when the wind twists it up......and would prefer to only display it at special dates.....but she insists it fly daily.

Respect...yes...but I don't get tangled up in all that controversy over the Flag. You want to show respect and gratitude...visit a VA hospital and shake the hands (if they have hands) of those that have given for the reasons we salute the Flag. There is a certain hypocrisy of Flag worship when so many have given so much and we too often ignore their sacrifices.
09-01-2016, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #28917
Veteran Member

Today's lunch, bacon wrapped dog.

And a deep fried Twinkie (found in the freezer section at your friendly WalMart)

09-01-2016, 09:26 AM   #28918
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Today's lunch, bacon wrapped dog.
That dog looks delicious! The Twinkie is perfect to add a nutritious dessert to a fine meal!

I am going to Aldis and buy me some dogs (Pack of 8 $.79 cents) Their cheap dogs are excellent....stay away from the label! ( Contains Parts: Parts of other parts.)
09-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #28919
Pentaxian

Pour some Velveeta on that dog and it will be even more delicious
09-01-2016, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #28920
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Pour some Velveeta on that dog and it will be even more delicious
I'm saving it to make Velveeta biscuit cheese bombs.

« AF1 vs AF2 | - »