Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108794 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #29431
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Yes, I might not contribute a lot to this thread but I did keep reading it and came across your plight. It is a very, very unfortunate turn of events. And turning to your memory of eating great food does not help either I gather... Perhaps you can visit the ER ahead of eating something you don't tolerate? That way any real harm could perhaps be prevented. The food should be worth it off course! Is there any food substance that is a candidate for such a special approach? And there is precedent. After al there are people that risk there life by eating blowfish.
How unappetising to think of dining at an ER. The last time I was in the waiting room at an ER there was a girl there emptying herself, repeatedly, into a plastic bag fixed to a ring to keep it open at the top.

---------- Post added 10-04-16 at 04:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
Although I like veggies and eat as healthy as possible I am far from being a vegetarian. I really enjoy a steak or bacon, or steak wrapped in bacon, or more bacon or chicken, or tuna, or salmon, mmmmmm. And I weigh 130 lbs. Does that steak and chicken include gravy? Yes it does. I just cut out the MSG.
MSG - nasty stuff - avoid that. Real salt is better for you.

Found some nice cheese today at the Oxford Covered Market, at the Market St end. Nice cheese shop. Also a good, cheap butcher and fishmonger just around the corner from the cheese shop.

10-03-2016, 11:04 AM   #29432
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I adore seafood, but these days slightly less since I discovered the existence of Cymothoa Exigua... It's irrational that I should let it bother me, but it does...
Those critters are just bizarre!
10-03-2016, 11:12 AM   #29433
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
How unappetising to think of dining at an ER. The last time I was in the waiting room at an ER there was a girl there emptying herself, repeatedly, into a plastic bag fixed to a ring to keep it open at the top.
I despise going to the ER. A majority of the people there are pathetic. Most of them don't really have an emergent health need, they are either people without health care looking for free medical care, or people looking for free pain medication.

Or the young expectant mothers who come in several times a week to get the doctors to do an ultrasound of their fetuses, because they want the pictures from the diagnostic imaging.

About 80% of the people at any ER at a given moment have absolutely no real emergent care need, and only burden the system.
10-03-2016, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #29434
Pentaxian

In ER you also have to watch for customers being brought in by police. And people the shape of Humpty Dumpty, who even though they have considerable trouble walking have not seemed to have thought of getting rolled along.

10-03-2016, 12:30 PM   #29435
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I despise going to the ER. A majority of the people there are pathetic. Most of them don't really have an emergent health need, they are either people without health care looking for free medical care, or people looking for free pain medication.

Or the young expectant mothers who come in several times a week to get the doctors to do an ultrasound of their fetuses, because they want the pictures from the diagnostic imaging.

About 80% of the people at any ER at a given moment have absolutely no real emergent care need, and only burden the system.
Percentages can be disputed, but yeah...

We got to spend a lovely evening in one of our local ERs Friday. My wife lost her balance and went face-first into the gravel by our garage. It took far more scrubbing and debriding than I could do at home. The first stop (urgent-care clinic a block away) took one look and sent us off to the nearest ER that had an opthalmologist on call in case her eye needed cleaning out as well as the abrasions. Despite being an urban hospital, the observed patient load was looking - for the most part - like they probably were in the right place... Only a couple of questionables.

Jim
10-03-2016, 12:34 PM   #29436
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How unappetising to think of dining at an ER. The last time I was in the waiting room at an ER there was a girl there emptying herself, repeatedly, into a plastic bag fixed to a ring to keep it open at the top.[COLOR="Silver"]
I had my tongue somewhere in the vicinity of my cheek when I suggested that Tim... But my kind of humor might be a bit twisted. The only time I visited a ER was as a reporter late at night during the new year celebrations when lots of people use fireworks; legal and illegal. With predictable results for their health ore more specific their fingers...
10-03-2016, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #29437
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
True Science brought to you by the "Seventh Day Adventists" How long does it take to poke hole in this nonsense? The 8.3 years is an American phenomenon explained by the number of overweight Americans. In this particular instance, vegetarians are less likely to be overweight. With fewer obese folks on their side of the study the vegetarians come out really good. But we already know obesity has serious health consequences, so nothing new here, and that is what the study measures.

If they want to do a study to prove vegetarianism means you live longer, they need to match the weights of the vegetarians with the weights of the meat eaters. A clear example of the research being misrepresented by the researcher, based on the researcher's religious convictions. One of the 60% of studies where the data doesn't support the conclusions.

The meaning of the study is exercise, keep your BMI low. It doesn't really say anything about vegetarianism.
Studies that correlate rather than control variables can be made to support any cause.

10-03-2016, 10:40 PM   #29438
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Studies that correlate rather than control variables can be made to support any cause.
I read a paper 20 years ago that said "the greatest discover of modern philosophy is that no-one ever saw a stone break a window." Cause is, fundamentally, unobservable.
10-04-2016, 02:25 AM   #29439
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I read a paper 20 years ago that said "the greatest discover of modern philosophy is that no-one ever saw a stone break a window." Cause is, fundamentally, unobservable.
Stones perhaps not - but cricket balls - yes!
10-04-2016, 03:00 AM   #29440
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
What Tim means is that the thrower is the cause, not the stone, but I refuse to believe semantics ever gave joy to anyone worth knowing! 😀

10-04-2016, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #29441
Pentaxian

Three Jeep windshields later, and seeing every rock that smacked them, I contest the philosophy.
10-04-2016, 05:14 AM - 3 Likes   #29442
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dropping by to make sure this thread is still irrelevant, it is, good job!
Just remember I'm watching you!

10-04-2016, 07:05 AM   #29443
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

my most memorable ER experience was just after the 2011 tornado here - it hit one of the two local hospitals, so all casualties were being sent to the other hospital, including as many patients from the damaged one as they could manage...

my mother-in-law and her husband had been in the path of the tornado and had been taken to the ER, but their injuries were not life-threatening; knowing what I do about the triage procedures for this type of emergency, I knew they would never be seen timely - we decided to pick them up and take them home to their hospital (about 20 miles away)...

if you've never been in a hospital with no electricity - it's creepy; no bright lights, no air-conditioning, and no background music.... it's a horror-movie setting that completely unnerves you...

now - back to our regularly-scheduled mayhem...
10-04-2016, 10:29 AM   #29444
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
What Tim means is that the thrower is the cause, not the stone, but I refuse to believe semantics ever gave joy to anyone worth knowing! ��
Three Jeep windshields later, and seeing every rock that smacked them, I contest the philosophy.
I thought I would get some contention.

Some of my students do not get it either.

Last edited by tim60; 10-04-2016 at 10:38 AM.
10-04-2016, 10:42 AM   #29445
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm with sherrvonne.

I live in the mountains. There are several rock quarries nearby. Everyday as I travel into town, headed for the World's Largest Building, my route is shared with all the dump trucks carrying crushed and broken rock.

My cars and pickup all have broken windshields. I've seen every stone that has been tossed my way as it has busted perfectly good glass.

It was such a problem that I have done two things.

First, I bought a rock chip repair kit. A worthwhile investment, as it prolongs the inevitable windshield replacement.

Second, once cracks begin to form, I simply draw a line with a Sharpie on the inside following them to reduce glare from the sun and headlights of oncoming vehicles. And then I wait until the state patrol stops me and issues a fix it warning before spending a few hundred bucks on new glass.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »