Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2017, 09:43 PM   #36826
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Yeah, but it's summer for you guys. You'all will be sitting in the sun, sipping beers, taking the odd photograph and completely forget to go inside to sit at the computer and post. And us lot here in the deep South will be left to do the hard yakka.
You heard of phones?

05-31-2017, 10:14 PM   #36827
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
You heard of phones?
Herd of what?

06-01-2017, 01:56 AM   #36828
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
You might pick up some of my load, Mark.
I have better things to do that sit on this thread, ad finitum, and I can't put them off much longer!!
In the past three or four weeks I have been in work conditioning, a kind of physical therapy/exercise routine designed to get me back into shape for work post surgery. That ties up about 3 hours of each weekday.

My doctor also cleared me to do yard work at home, so I have been cleaning up the downed trees and limbs from last winter including cutting up three trees with butt diameters around 36 cm (14") that the snow took down, pushing the blackberries back (an annual custom here, I shove back in the spring, they shove back all summer), aerating the lawn and fertilizing, weeding the flowerbeds and spreading the yearly layer of bark mulch, prepped and already have a flourishing vegetable garden in two raised beds, and started tomatoes and some peppers in pots on the front walk.

Oh, and there are 32 long needle pine trees, 10 meters tall (30 feet) the former landowner saw fit to plant along the Southern property line for a distance of about 300 meters (1,000 feet). They are not native to this area, and although they grew OK for a time, they are now ragged and filled with bugs. The woodpeckers and flickers have nearly killed a couple and all of them were in need of a thorough limb cleanup. That job alone took me about a week and a half.

The grass need cut at least once every 4 or 5 days this time of year, and it takes all day, even with the tractor and 2 meter (6 foot) finish mower. And we have been filling 7 hummingbird feeders twice a day for a couple weeks now, about 2 liters a day.

Add to all that a B service on the Ram, tractor (I now own 2 tractors) and mower maintenance, and daily chores.

And I still manage 3.75 posts per day.

cheesy

Of course I can't compete with the likes of @Bertwert who has 7.25 posts per day.

Kids.

Sheesh!
06-01-2017, 02:01 AM   #36829
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
You heard of phones?
Why yes, yes I have. Used one just today to place a call.

Long distance.

The next best thing to being there.

Reach out and touch someone.

06-01-2017, 03:15 AM   #36830
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you ever used one of those? I did! Walked into a shop in a one horse town where the horse had died and asked to use the phone. This was in the 1980's, before cellphones were everywhere. The proprietor said - sure - over there. My mouth hang open. I've used one of the later round dial models, of course, but never one of these before. He had to show me how to call the operator.
06-01-2017, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #36831
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I appreciate that, It has been quiet enough to catch a couple hours sleep. I chanced it and went down to Aldis.....I was out of Winking Owl and don't want to die on empty. Feel somewhat better, but I think I am nowhere near the end of this stuff.

I just read the fact sheet that came with the drug I am taking.....If the side effects don't scare the hell out of you nothing will..and there are lots of them. Look it up, just reading it will make you not want to get pneumonia, or anthrax, or the plague...it treats all of them.Levofloxacin.
Unfortunately, I don't have a choice, it is the last line of defense.

You guys continue on, I'm going to take a nap in another room, so you can make all the noise you want!

Regards!
if I remember correctly I was on that stuff (Levaquin (?) for a month or so...daily infusions

sunburn was an issue for me and gut problems

fixed the sunburn with hats and a long sleeved shirt
fixed the gut with yogurt three meals a day

in my case it wasn't a last resort, it was an attempt to only do it once

it must have worked...i'm still here

just be a good boy and take your meds
06-01-2017, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #36832
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

Long distance.

Mark, one of them. Put posts on this thread with it - or with one of them tell your scribe what to put here, and for your moderator duties get your scribe to read it to you.

06-01-2017, 05:21 AM   #36833
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Have you ever used one of those? I did! Walked into a shop in a one horse town where the horse had died and asked to use the phone. This was in the 1980's, before cellphones were everywhere. The proprietor said - sure - over there. My mouth hang open. I've used one of the later round dial models, of course, but never one of these before. He had to show me how to call the operator.

In 1984 when I was in Hawker with a couple of friends on a camping holiday one of them wanted to call his brother on their, shared, birthday. He came out fromt he post office and said his brother did not believe him when he said he had just called from a "wind-up phone".
06-01-2017, 05:30 AM   #36834
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
just be a good boy and take your meds
Well, I do feel some better this morning. Slept decent most of last night with a little help from the Winking Owl and a muscle relaxer pill around 2am.
Mrs Rupert read the data sheet on that drug and doesn't want me to do any strenuous activities for fear of snapping a tendon. Like I was ever planning any strenuous activities!

She has even taken over feeding the birds and squirrels for me...but not the raccoons. Raccoons scare the hell out of her when they reach out toward her with open palms......all they want is some treats. They are docile and friendly...but of course if you don't have a treat for them they will try to kill you!

Gonna lay low again today, get some rest and not leave the house. You guys continue on....and in the Rupert tradition, keep up with the sheep jokes! BTW...If the gonad word is OK so is the V word......as long as it is not itching!

Regards!
06-01-2017, 06:07 AM   #36835
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Long distance.

The next best thing to being there.,

Phones.
One of the 4 fastest forms of communication:

Internet
Telephone
Telegraph
Tellawoman

(Not necessarily in that order)
06-01-2017, 06:14 AM   #36836
Veteran Member

Of course I can't compete with the likes of @Bertwert who has 7.25 posts per day.
It used to be around 12 posts per day... but as I was away for six weeks last summer with 0 posts it went down. Same thing this year, I'll be away for six weeks July-August.

06-01-2017, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #36837
Veteran Member

Long distance.

I worked with a guy whose job it was to convert those manual sets to touchtone or rotary dial
usually by removing the dynamo and installing a modern network inside the case
every now and then a customer would want the dial on the note shelf

there was an active market for the dynamo...fisherman would use them to excite earthworms out the ground for bait
I suppose that was better than an extension cord and two coat hangers
06-01-2017, 06:27 AM   #36838
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Same thing this year, I'll be away for six weeks July-August.
Is that a promise or a threat?
06-01-2017, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #36839
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
there was an active market for the dynamo...fisherman would use them to excite earthworms out the ground for bait
Also used for "fishing" called crankin' for fish as I recall.
06-01-2017, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #36840
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Also used for "fishing" called crankin' for fish as I recall.
Yep, and they worked well too. We used to sneak out to farmers stock ponds and "crank for fish". Once when we went swimming in one of the better ponds, I cranked Ricky....it was about 3 miles from home and he chased me all the way back.

Just got an E-mail from our youngest son. We are babysitting his doggie while he is off with his wife in Europe for six weeks vacation. His doggie is like me...you don't have to worry about her overexerting herself!

All that money we spent on college paid off well....for him! This is from some place in Italy....maybe Florence?
Name:  IMG_0928.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  294.1 KB

Nappy time!