06-06-2017, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #37036
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Canada is part of America, eh?
nope...we left the party...remember?

---------- Post added 06-06-17 at 01:51 PM ----------

All this talk about guns . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . Robert Cray-Smoking Gun.wmv - YouTube
I liked him a lot but he got into a bit of a rut
but you do what pays the bills

---------- Post added 06-06-17 at 01:55 PM ----------

so much talent

I've always wondered how far he might have taken us if he hadn't closed the lid after he went down the rabbit hole

---------- Post added 06-06-17 at 02:26 PM ----------

I was going through some old tapes (all my vinyl died of drowning a long time ago)

two bands that caused a lot of comment from my coworkers

Motown's rare earth

and blood sweat and tears

especially with david clayton-Thomas they thought I was listening to black bands (he was Canadian) which was serious no-no at that time and place

hopefully that's enough memory lane from me

Last edited by ccc_; 06-06-2017 at 02:27 PM.
06-06-2017, 09:25 PM   #37037
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Last night I heard a group panel of about five politicians here, representing each of the significant parties. The audience were deliberately chosen to spread across views. At one point one Polly said his party had done something. Another objected saying that was his party's action. Then the first told him to be quiet because he would get a turn to talk later. And then it went back to polite, one at a time, talk.

I wish TV in the US was as genteel as that. Try to get news in US and what you get are antagonistic shouting heads beamed into the hotel room.
06-07-2017, 04:23 AM - 2 Likes   #37038
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Last night I heard a group panel of about five politicians here, representing each of the significant parties. The audience were deliberately chosen to spread across views. At one point one Polly said his party had done something. Another objected saying that was his party's action. Then the first told him to be quiet because he would get a turn to talk later. And then it went back to polite, one at a time, talk.

I wish TV in the US was as genteel as that. Try to get news in US and what you get are antagonistic shouting heads beamed into the hotel room.

i'd have to say, in general, we aren't genteel
on my part, I hope we never are

I've watched your politics at play on television
the hectoring and outright meanness of your parliamentary sessions probably aren't the illustration that sits next to the definition of genteel

there are at least three kinds of news now...
public radio and television which tends towards thoughtful and accurate
network which tries to be public broadcasting but can't make it
cable news...well cable news provides the echo that people seem to want to hear and the louder the better
cable news appears to be the electronic version of the printed tabloid...of which your country has no shortage

my advice is watch a different broadcast
06-07-2017, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #37039
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I think a big part of the problem with the news is that there isn't enough to go around.
Years ago we had t.v. network evening news and local t.v. news. 1/2 to 1 hour a day to fill. The late night news came about with the Iran hostage crisis.
Now we have more 24 hour a day news outlets than I can count. There just isn't enough actual news to go around. They have to spin non-events to make them sound like something we should care about or, in some cases, just plain make it up.

06-07-2017, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #37040
Veteran Member

I have a 46 year old daughter, two sons, one 42, the other 29, and I don't think any of them pay much attention to the news.
Major news is unavoidable, and that seems to satisfy their needs.
I envy all three, I see too much.
06-07-2017, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #37041
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Are you sure you were the news and not a National Lampoon movie, or maybe Saturday Night Live?
06-07-2017, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #37042
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I have a 46 year old daughter, two sons, one 42, the other 29, and I don't think any of them pay much attention to the news.
Major news is unavoidable, and that seems to satisfy their needs.
I envy all three, I see too much.
the news becomes unavoidable because when it was insignificant people weren't paying attention

after it metastasizes and becomes malignant the same people wonder "how did that happen?"

even if you can't effect change a person should be aware

my primary news source has been npr's morning broadcast for a very long time
it's there when I go fishing, out to take pictures and when i'm sitting around swilling my first couple of cups of coffee
I pay for it...so I listen to it

probably the best use of taxes I've ever heard

06-07-2017, 07:28 AM   #37043
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We tend to watch "News" channels that support our personal viewpoints. We do it almost to the exclusion of all others. Not only does it leave us uninformed and often with inaccurate information, it keeps us divided.
Watching "news"has become a team sport......"Your Team" vs "My Team". Not good...not good at all!

Regards!

Some more useful information....

"Before getting too comfy out on a limb..."

"Check above for birds roosting....you may be glad you did!"

Been doing a lot of this "resting" lately and am tired of it. However, if I try to do much, I wear out in no time......I think this is going to take a while to beat. Pneumonia is no joke....
06-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #37044
Veteran Member

Having troubles with the ol' tractor.
Can't get it to start, the solenoid will click but the starter motor won't turn over. Wiring seems to be all good. The motor will work on the bench, so that's not the problem.
Any ides?
06-07-2017, 09:08 AM   #37045
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Sensationalism sells.

Boring, polite, everyday life stagnates.

Nobody wants to see boring.
06-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #37046
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Can't get it to start, the solenoid will click but the starter motor won't turn over. Wiring seems to be all good. The motor will work on the bench, so that's not the problem.
Any ides?
Starter relay.

The click is the sound of the relay (solenoid) coil pulling the contactor down. The reason it won't turn the starter motor is the contacts are fouled with carbon and the current can't pass through.

In the old days most relays could be disassembled and the contacts filed with a point file or crocus cloth.

With the advent of cheap parts and cheap labor it became more cost effective to simply change the relay.
06-07-2017, 09:22 AM   #37047
Veteran Member

Here's the catch, it's a new solenoid.
But we could give that a go.
06-07-2017, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #37048
Veteran Member

Any ides?
If it's the type that has a pinion on the end of the shaft with a big spring behind it to push it into the engaged position check the pinion for hairline cracks.

Many years ago, when I still lived in the UK, I had a Triumph 2000 TC (without doubt the worst car I have ever owned) and I experienced symptoms just as you describe. The starter motor would engage with the starter ring but would not spin the engine over. Pull the starter motor off and test it and it would spin happily, put it back and it would jam again. It took me a couple of weeks to discover the fault, it turned out the pinion gear had developed a hairline crack that was barely noticeable to the naked eye and I only found it when inspecting the pinion under a strong light and with a magnifying glass. The crack ran from the root between two teeth right down to the bore of the pinion. When the pinion engaged with the starter ring the crack would expand due to the torque which increased the diameter of the pinion just enough to jam it into the teeth of the starter ring preventing it from turning any further and stalling out the starter motor. Replacing the pinion fixed the issue but it was a royal PITA tracking down the cause.
06-07-2017, 09:48 AM   #37049
Veteran Member

That's something worth looking at.
06-07-2017, 09:57 AM   #37050
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's the catch, it's a new solenoid.
But we could give that a go.
Is there continuity from the relay to the starter?

How much resistance do you have in that wire?

Also, what Larry said about the condition of the starter drive gear. Not something I have ever seen, but it is entirely possible, and a fractured gear definitely could jam it so that the motor would stall. I would think that if this were the case, holding the starter engaged for very long may cause it to get hot, as the current passes through the motor windings.

A starter draw test would show this with an almost immediate and sustained spike in current draw, whereas if the continuity was poor there would be an initial jump, falling off to nothing when the stater is engaged.