Closed Account

Photos: Gallery

Attached Images

06-24-2017, 05:16 AM   #37592
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I must be out of touch with newer tractors. When did Case and Cornbinder hook up?)
A long time ago.
Mid 80s, i think.
06-24-2017, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #37593
Veteran Member

We're getting a break from the heat and humidity so yesterday evening I watched the Cardinal's game on the deck.
Mrs Bob was at a Bunco game, and I grilled up a Texas garlic sausage and a couple of Aldi's stuffed clams for just me.
Rupert, the stuffed clams are excellent, thanks for recommending them.

Last edited by robtcorl; 06-24-2017 at 06:55 AM.
06-24-2017, 07:59 AM   #37594
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Rupert, the stuffed clams are excellent, thanks for recommending them.
Yep, they are not half bad for sure.....and they were cheap. That Mrs Rupert wouldn't touch them was all the better!

BTW- Were you able to get any of the butterfly shrimp? Those were so delicious and fast to cook in the oven. Hope they have them again!

Regards!

06-24-2017, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #37595
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
BTW- Were you able to get any of the butterfly shrimp?
Yes, and we like them too, still a couple boxes in the freezer I think, I hope.
Just came from Aldi, didn't notice if they still had any.
Putting one of their $0,95/lb chickens on the red Weber's rotisserie tomorrow.

06-24-2017, 09:04 AM   #37596
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Putting one of their $0,95/lb chickens on the red Weber's rotisserie tomorrow.
You have great equipment!
I haven't done a rotisserie chicken in years. I used to do Cornish hens pretty often....they were so delicious!

So say you are grilling ribeye steaks. Do you get the grates hot and sear both sides, reduce heat and slow cook...or do you slow cook to begin with?
I've had better luck with the slow cooking method, cooking at low heat and turning every 5 minutes or so. Mrs Rupert likes med well.
For me I like to sear both sides and shortly thereafter call it good.
Your method, your preference?

Regards!
06-24-2017, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #37597
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Yep, they are not half bad for sure.....and they were cheap.
All these cost was the shellfish permit, state park campsite fee, travel expense there and back (about 150 miles or so, each way), and of course the daily excursions at extreme low tide to dig them.

Living near the ocean is great. In the Northwet we have such a wide variety of good things to eat that are wild. The shellfish, the regular fish, the deer and elk, bear, spotted owl, squirrels . . . . . .

That Mrs Rupert wouldn't touch them was all the better!
No way.

The woman doesn't know what she is missing.

Nothing like fresh razor clams, panko breaded and grilled in a little garlic butter.

With beer.

Just look at all that squirmy goodness, waiting to be fixed up and plated, then consumed with vigor and delight.

06-24-2017, 09:23 AM   #37598
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

You have great equipment!
I haven't done a rotisserie chicken in years. I used to do Cornish hens pretty often....they were so delicious!

So say you are grilling ribeye steaks. Do you get the grates hot and sear both sides, reduce heat and slow cook...or do you slow cook to begin with?
I've had better luck with the slow cooking method, cooking at low heat and turning every 5 minutes or so. Mrs Rupert likes med well.

Regards!
I just sear it on both sides, then eat it. Red and bloody but hot in the middle.

Perfect.
06-24-2017, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #37599
Veteran Member

If it's a fairly thick steak I'll do what's called a reverse sear, or indirect until it's maybe 10° below my target, then a direct sear.
Thin ones I do direct the whole time, and I've never believed the baloney about flipping steaks, burgers, etc only once.
I do use a quick reading thermometer for most meats, especially poultry.

I cook a lot of chuck eye steaks (not the same as a chuck steak).
They're usually 4 to 5 bucks a pound, look, taste, and are tender like a ribeye, but not always easy to find.
I cook 'em direct flipping often.

06-24-2017, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #37600
Veteran Member

Nothing like fresh razor clams, panko breaded and grilled in a little garlic butter.
Clams are my favorite. This place was s worth the 5200 mile round trip to the coast of Oregon. I have never eaten better clams....or as many as I ate at this place!
Chowder Bowl - 204 Photos & 400 Reviews - Seafood - 728 NW Beach Dr, Newport, OR - Restaurant Reviews - Phone Number - Menu - Yelp

Regards!
06-24-2017, 12:21 PM - 3 Likes   #37601
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I just sear it on both sides, then eat it. Red and bloody but hot in the middle.

Perfect.
Indeed.

As long as it doesn't try to eat my salad it isn't too rare.
06-24-2017, 12:51 PM   #37602
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Indeed.

As long as it doesn't try to eat my salad it isn't too rare.
Yes. A good slice of beef can be every bit as good as a slice of fresh Bonito, seared on the outside only, no more than 1/8" deep.
06-24-2017, 12:53 PM   #37603
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Clams are my favorite. This place was s worth the 5200 mile round trip to the coast of Oregon. I have never eaten better clams....or as many as I ate at this place!
Chowder Bowl - 204 Photos & 400 Reviews - Seafood - 728 NW Beach Dr, Newport, OR - Restaurant Reviews - Phone Number - Menu - Yelp
When I started reading that address, I got the shivers... then I noticed it was Newport, OR - and not Newport, RI. The sickest I've *ever* been with shellfish was in Newport, RI. I can't remember the name of the place we ate at, but I had fried clam strips for lunch. Honestly, they looked and tasted great. After lunch, we started driving up to Cape Cod. By the time we got to the hotel car-park, I felt really ill. An hour later I'd expelled everything in my stomach and I was in bed, allegedly hallucinating. Every time I went to the bathroom to throw up again, there was nothing to get rid of, but my body felt like it was trying to turn itself inside out. Twelve hours later, I was absolutely fine, except for feeling dog-tired... but OMG, it was rough for the short time it lasted

Didn't put me off shellfish, though
06-24-2017, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #37604
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
No, Racer, they have never had a commercial/industrial job: they have never left school! Kindergarten, Primary school, High school, University, then teachingteachingteaching: still in school at some level.
(I generalise a lot - there are obviously exceptions)

You really see the difference in engineering between academics who have worked as engineers (or even as something else reasonably responsible) and those who have followed the school, PhD, teach pathway. Serious problem with universities over-emphasising the value of a PhD for an academic position, just because it is supposed that a person with a PhD will be "research productive", and the measures of prestige which universities promote and have conned society to accept.
06-24-2017, 01:21 PM   #37605
Veteran Member

I've cooked clams on a, well you know what.