Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
06-24-2017, 11:09 PM   #37636
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
PS, with all the avatar changes it's hard for us old folks to know who is saying what.
What?

Is my cavalcade of racers that history has forgotten too much?

Can you guess who is my current avatar?

06-24-2017, 11:10 PM   #37637
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
. . . . . we don't have any oceans nearby . . . . . . . . .
The Great Lakes are only a short drive away. Lots of fish, clams and mussels there.

Oh.

Wait.

Forgot they polluted and over fished them.

And I don't know if anyone eats those invasive Zebra Mussels from Southeast Asia that hitchhiked on the hulls of ships have taken over and killed off just about everything.

Never mind.
06-24-2017, 11:16 PM - 3 Likes   #37638
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I grilled some burgers with the Weber last night but took no photos so it did not happen.
06-24-2017, 11:17 PM   #37639
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I could see that, but they also seemed to extend quite near to the corners of the pallets.
Must be an optical illusion then.

They are quite large. About 1.2 meters in diameter by a half meter wide.

06-25-2017, 05:18 AM - 2 Likes   #37640
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Can you guess who is my current avatar?
Red Byron.
Google's image search works great sometimes.

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I grilled some burgers with the Weber last night but took no photos so it did not happen.
Therefore no calories ingested.
06-25-2017, 06:57 AM   #37641
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I could see that, but they also seemed to extend quite near to the corners of the pallets.
Depth perception is lost with one lens - the camera. It'd just be like looking at the with one eye closed. Even though you are using two eyes now, the image is 2D not 3D as a single lenses device took the photo.
06-25-2017, 10:09 AM   #37642
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Thinking of you. Hope you kick that thing into touch in no time.

Mark, our friends in US will not understand your turn of phrase, "into touch". They just cannot help it. But we seem to understand their figures of speech.

06-25-2017, 10:18 AM - 2 Likes   #37643
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

A Bad Day that got worse......Part One. (Hey, I got nothing else to do.....you can skip it, I won't blame you!)

Ever have days where everything just goes from bad to worse and keeps on coming one thing after the other?

It was already hot, headed toward 101F with humidity up around 70-75%. I went out to my shop as usual to get the feed for the birds and squirrels morning feed (around 8:30 am) and there blocking the door was a stray mama cat......with three tiny babies. In our rural area stray wild cats are not uncommon. I usually trap them and relocate them near the city park or call Animal Control to come pick them up. This one slipped by.
I finally got her to move them away from the door, went on and fed the animals and went back into the house to contemplate what to do? I went back outside in about an hour and she had moved one into the woods and was now carrying another that direction. I went back inside so as not to interfere and let her get the last one moved. She never came back for the last one....Threes a crowd?

I waited several hours and though the little fellow was in the shade of my awning, it was getting very warm out there. Convinced the mama was not coming back, I picked him up and put him in a box in my shop, lined with an old but clean T-shirt. I got a straw and gave him some water...it had been hours without anything. So tiny, eyes closed, but he had no lung problem.......squealed like crazy!

I am no cat person....however, I don't want to see any animal suffer. This is not what I need to deal with for certain. Will Mrs Rupert help me out? When she got in I told her the story (including part two which is a dandy!) and she went right into Florence Nightingale mode. Got an eyedropper and some milk, water and got the little fellow fed. Went to the Pet Store and got a book on tiny baby cat "raising" and some proper milk and a nipple feeder. I figured the little guy would be dead by morning, but hell, he is is squealing and thriving like he owns the place.

What do you do? I have a soft heart for living things in distress. Mrs Rupert even more...though I doubt she would be so fast to help out a tiny raccoon? Squirrel? Maybe? Where this story goes I have no idea. He may make it or may not. At least he will not suffer death from thirst or starvation.
I am already assured a place in Squirrel Heaven, Doggie Heaven, and Birdie Heaven......but I want to pass on Cat Heaven.......that is not for me!

Forgot....
Name:  Tiny Kitty.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  407.4 KB

Regards.... Part Two later.
06-25-2017, 10:32 AM   #37644
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I picked him up and put him in a box in my shop, lined with an old but clean T-shirt. I got a straw and gave him some water...it had been hours without anything. So tiny, eyes closed, but he had no lung problem.......squealed like crazy!
I am no cat person....however, I don't want to see any animal suffer.
Will Mrs Rupert help me out? When she got in I told her the story (including part two which is a dandy!) and she went right into Florence Nightingale mode. Got an eyedropper and some milk, water and got the little fellow fed. Went to the Pet Store and got a book on tiny baby cat "raising" and some proper milk and a nipple feeder. I figured the little guy would be dead by morning, but hell, he is is squealing and thriving like he owns the place.
Good for you, Jim, and for Mrs Rupert too. Poor little creature is unable to look out for himself right now. Who knows, he may well make it with the care he's getting from you both. Fingers crossed.

I'm very much a cat person, and if I was nearer, I'd take him off your hands for sure...
06-25-2017, 10:34 AM   #37645
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Depth perception is lost with one lens - the camera. It'd just be like looking at the with one eye closed. Even though you are using two eyes now, the image is 2D not 3D as a single lenses device took the photo.

I looked again. The illusion is a result of two factors in the picture. The angle of view was from below the pallet, so the corners of the pallet are not visible. The angle of the lighting resulted in reflection from the wrapping that looked near symmetrical, resulting in a sense of squareness. Too much photography for PentaxForums.

I was hoping that square wheels would have explained some of the bizarre policies of some of the famous occupants riding on those wheels.
06-25-2017, 10:36 AM   #37646
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

A Bad Day that got worse......Part One. (Hey, I got nothing else to do.....you can skip it, I won't blame you!)

Ever have days where everything just goes from bad to worse and keeps on coming one thing after the other?

It was already hot, headed toward 101F with humidity up around 70-75%. I went out to my shop as usual to get the feed for the birds and squirrels morning feed (around 8:30 am) and there blocking the door was a stray mama cat......with three tiny babies. In our rural area stray wild cats are not uncommon. I usually trap them and relocate them near the city park or call Animal Control to come pick them up. This one slipped by.
I finally got her to move them away from the door, went on and fed the animals and went back into the house to contemplate what to do? I went back outside in about an hour and she had moved one into the woods and was now carrying another that direction. I went back inside so as not to interfere and let her get the last one moved. She never came back for the last one....Threes a crowd?

I waited several hours and though the little fellow was in the shade of my awning, it was getting very warm out there. Convinced the mama was not coming back, I picked him up and put him in a box in my shop, lined with an old but clean T-shirt. I got a straw and gave him some water...it had been hours without anything. So tiny, eyes closed, but he had no lung problem.......squealed like crazy!

I am no cat person....however, I don't want to see any animal suffer. This is not what I need to deal with for certain. Will Mrs Rupert help me out? When she got in I told her the story (including part two which is a dandy!) and she went right into Florence Nightingale mode. Got an eyedropper and some milk, water and got the little fellow fed. Went to the Pet Store and got a book on tiny baby cat "raising" and some proper milk and a nipple feeder. I figured the little guy would be dead by morning, but hell, he is is squealing and thriving like he owns the place.

What do you do? I have a soft heart for living things in distress. Mrs Rupert even more...though I doubt she would be so fast to help out a tiny raccoon? Squirrel? Maybe? Where this story goes I have no idea. He may make it or may not. At least he will not suffer death from thirst or starvation.
I am already assured a place in Squirrel Heaven, Doggie Heaven, and Birdie Heaven......but I want to pass on Cat Heaven.......that is not for me!

Forgot....
Attachment 360727

How can actions so noble be a bad day Jim?
06-25-2017, 10:44 AM   #37647
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Good for you, Jim, and for Mrs Rupert too. Poor little creature is unable to look out for himself right now. Who knows, he may well make it with the care he's getting from you both. Fingers crossed.

I'm very much a cat person, and if I was nearer, I'd take him off your hands for sure...
I'd sure let you if you were closer BigMack! I'm not a cat person, but I am pulling for the little guy, he deserves a chance.His two siblings may not be as fortunate as he is? Friday night late we had a horrific storm and over 5 inches of blowing rain with high winds. If the mama didn't have them in a secure high place they may have perished? Plenty dry in my shop.

Part Two is nothing like or about the kitty......just bizarre, the whole day was bizarre. Stay tuned.....

Regards!
06-25-2017, 10:45 AM   #37648
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Forgot....
Attachment 360727

I ended up with a cat very much the same way except mine was under my truck after a six hour job in the "ghetto"
they grow up as quickly as your squirrels
the good thing is if you don't get attached someone always wants another cat...go figure and good luck!
06-25-2017, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #37649
Veteran Member

How can actions so noble be a bad day Jim?
Well, I was having it rough, no sleep the night before and looking for some peace and quiet.... and I sure got none on Friday. Not the best day for the little kitty, but it may turn out to have saved his life, which is good!
06-25-2017, 10:59 AM - 3 Likes   #37650
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Machinery older than Rupert.
Oh. I didn't know that stone tools qualified as machinery...?
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »