Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
06-25-2017, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #37666
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Back to the food matter. Many years ago I went to a church camp with my daughter. She ate some chicken cooked for the children (no curry). There was something wrong and many of those who ate it emitted it during the night. In the morning I took her home, and another person, who we dropped at their house, near to ours. When we got to the friend's house we all got out of the car. My daughter felt unwell, so got back into the car to emit again, so as not to spoil the friend's garden.

I was not quite impressed.

06-25-2017, 01:44 PM - 2 Likes   #37667
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Nice job.
Thanks Jim.

Stick with it. You might get the hang of this photography thing yet.
Back then I was still rediscovering photography. I look back on all I saw in those 5 years and think about the stuff I missed, and the stuff I did document that I failed with the photographic craft.

Many of the loads I moved had significance in one way or another, and I proudly snapped away whenever I could. Especially when it was something that is related to such an icon in our society like the tires.

I actually moved quite a few loads for those planes, but most of it was for the ones that were not currently serving as Air Force One.

I moved lots of military stuff too. C-17 thrust reversers and engines, wing parts for the F-22, and some stuff from NAS Lemoore in California to NAS Patuxent River in Maryland. That was pretty cool. It was a miserable rainy day when I delivered though, so all I have is this quick snapshot I grabbed as I headed out to the gate.

06-25-2017, 01:45 PM   #37668
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Minced (ground for our US friends) meats should be well cooked because of the additional contamination opportunities afforded by the mincing (grinding) process.
Yep. Bacteria only grows on the surface so when you sear a steak all of the surfaces get heated to a temp that is not compatible with life. If you grind, sorry, "mince" the meat before cooking that surface bacteria is spread throughout, so a suitable internal temperature needs to be achieved.
Health concerns aside, I prefer ground minced beef (or lamb or pork) med-well to well done for flavor reasons.
06-25-2017, 01:48 PM   #37669
Pentaxian

Yep. Bacteria only grows on the surface so when you sear a steak all of the surfaces get heated to a temp that is not compatible with life. If you grind, sorry, "mince" the meat before cooking that surface bacteria is spread throughout, so a suitable internal temperature needs to be achieved.
Health concerns aside, I prefer ground minced beef (or lamb or pork) med-well to well done for flavor reasons.

I agree with you sense of taste. Solid beef fairly rare is good, lamb and pork should be cooked better, poultry must be well cooked, and minced meats must be well cooked to taste right.

06-25-2017, 01:50 PM - 3 Likes   #37670
Pentaxian

Ground meat is meat for which the three second rule has become a live question.
06-25-2017, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #37671
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Thanks Jim.
It was a miserable rainy day when I delivered though, so all I have is this quick snapshot I grabbed as I headed out to the gate.

Actually, that's an pretty cool shot.
I rather enjoy foul weather photography. (You have learn to like it around here. )
06-25-2017, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #37672
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting load and story. Pity the reason you started the story was related to some shell fish which were undesirable to eat, and a vendor who clearly did not take their role as a supplier of victuals responsibly.
I did manage to find many places around the continent that served up perfect victuals every time, and never failed to do so flawlessly.

Like the River City Grill near Missoula, Montana.

Pecan encrusted chicken. Just like mom used to make.

Shepherd's pie, with fresh baked biscuit. Again, every bit as good as mom's.

Can't forget the salad.

Jim N Nick's Barbecue near Charleston, South Carolina. Beef brisket.

River City Grill again. Cold and snowy outside.

It was warm and toasty inside.

Moose Drool.

A salad.

A nice big juicy pork chop.

06-25-2017, 02:21 PM   #37673
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, that's an pretty cool shot.
I rather enjoy foul weather photography. (You have learn to like it around here. )
Thanks again.

Not bad for the grab the camera off the passenger seat, flip off the lens cap, point and shoot. Oh, and through a wet windshield in between wiper passes.

All while looking around for the MP's and their automatic rifles. I wanted shots inside the hangar, but knew better than to even ask. Some bases would search the cab and sleeper, and if they saw a camera I was asked to leave it in a bus station locker at the guard shack at the gate and pick it up on the way out, like Andrews, and Palmdale. They were real fussy at Andrews and Palmdale. Huge security and background check. Physical search. Search with dogs. Lots of kids in full fatigues and machine guns.

The Savannah River Site was like that too. But no military. Just guys dressed in black with body armour and automatic rifles riding around in unmarked black Hummers and black helicopters.
06-25-2017, 02:21 PM   #37674
Veteran Member

What do you call a cow lying down?
06-25-2017, 02:21 PM   #37675
Veteran Member

Ground Beef.
06-25-2017, 02:22 PM   #37676
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

My daughter felt unwell, so got back into the car to emit again, so as not to spoil the friend's garden.
LOL Your poor daughter, and car. The thing is, kids bounce back, but upholstery can take an age to lose that funky odour...
06-25-2017, 02:28 PM   #37677
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

What do you call a cow with only two legs?
06-25-2017, 02:28 PM   #37678
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Lean beef.
06-25-2017, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #37679
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
What do you call a cow lying down?
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Ground Beef.
bonk
06-25-2017, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #37680
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

What do you call a cow with only two legs?
Lean beef.