Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
06-28-2017, 08:19 AM - 3 Likes   #37816
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Thanks for updating us, even if the news isn't good news, yet.
Continued wishes for an improvement soon.
Maybe being on a limb is better than being on a roof?
Thanks Bob! Yep, roofs are not compatible with "Rupert Types" ...I'm afraid!

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Glad you're still alive and kicking, Jim.
Now get better!

BTW, how much money you reckon it cost to have the doctors tell you to stay out of the heat and get some rest?
Thanks!...and I am trying my best to get better. Alive and kicking, but it has felt like a close call the last day.

You know, I could write an epic Rupert Story of the screw-ups I have encountered in the medical profession just in the past month. I mean, the quest for the dollar seems to have overridden all common sense. I have several ridiculous examples that to me, just defy logic.

A $2k test to see if I have any impaired lung function? I told the testing technician, "You know sonny boy, it's a pretty good bet that a person with a severe case of pneumonia has some impaired lung function........would you like to make a bet before we do this ridiculous test?"

If I survive this I think it will be in spite of the medical profession, not because of it. Not wanting to get into politics...not here...but having too good of insurance may be as bad as having poor or none? Think about it. They know exactly what pays them and what doesn't and they want to get every dime they can. You may need it or you may not......but when that Mercedes payment comes due.........the doc knows you did!

About 10am here.......just fed the little kitty fellow about an hour ago...he ate his prescribed amount of special milk with gusto! You can look this up, I am no pervert. After feeding you have to rub their tiny butt/private parts to stimulate them to pee or they won't, and will explode eventually. Not my favorite part but he does pee well, though it may take a few minutes of rubbing. He went right back to sleep...which is where I am going for a couple of hours. I spent a lot of last night struggling to breathe...am breathing much better this morning, so I want to catch a little sleep while I can.

Regards!

06-28-2017, 11:01 AM   #37817
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Thanks Bob! Y
If I survive this I think it will be in spite of the medical profession, not because of it. Not wanting to get into politics...not here...but having too good of insurance may be as bad as having poor or none? Think about it. They know exactly what pays them and what doesn't and they want to get every dime they can. You may need it or you may not......but when that Mercedes payment comes due.........the doc knows you did!

Regards!
Well one advantage to govt run universal is the set the fee schedule and it breeds less silliness. I hope they get you healthy before they use up the insurance, good to hear the kitty is well and on the way to a permanent home . get Well Rupert

---------- Post added 28th Jun 2017 at 13:04 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's our favourite show, but understanding the lengths they go to to portray reserve life is a big part of that. If you're not at all into Native Culture there's a lot there you might miss. Live on a reserve for a few months and it will make a lot more sense.
I will give it a proper go one day, i have such a long list , Native culture omn teh res i am not exposed to, however several close freinds are native artists in one field or another so i think if i give it an episode or two i'll get into it
06-28-2017, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #37818
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Some of my medico friends say the reason they send for so many tests is that they are covering themselves in case of malpractice suits, which unfortunately have become excessively fashionable. Maybe they would be less fashionable if the payout was only the professional fees of the remedial treatment doctor, and no personal cash payment to the claimant. See, a problem caused by the lawyers.
06-28-2017, 01:00 PM   #37819
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Some of my medico friends say the reason they send for so many tests is that they are covering themselves in case of malpractice suits, which unfortunately have become excessively fashionable. Maybe they would be less fashionable if the payout was only the professional fees of the remedial treatment doctor, and no personal cash payment to the claimant. See, a problem caused by the lawyers.
it is less cya than doing what they are paid to do

as far as lawsuits go, punitive damages give a harmed client a method of redressing a wrong

last autumn my brother walked into the VA
he was told that no tests were required beyond the basic checkup...you are having trouble breathing because you smoked...go home and get some rest

he had done and he did
by seven the next evening he was in a permanent state of rest
his lungs were full and he drowned

a spokesman for the ama was on npr awhile back...he said doctors practice the art of medicine...I thought medicine was a science

06-28-2017, 01:10 PM - 3 Likes   #37820
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I hope they get you healthy before they use up the insurance, good to hear the kitty is well and on the way to a permanent home . get Well Rupert
Thanks Eddie! I plan on getting well, but getting there so far has been very frustrating. Unless something very bad happens, I will not run out of insurance, we have the best. As I said earlier, that may be a problem in itself. You have to watch your own back nowadays....either way..with or without. No one in the medical area cares as much about you.....as you. It is just a reality, so you need to watch out for yourself, ask questions and disagree where necessary.

Did get that nap! Slept 3 hours of nice solid sleep without any breathing problem! Have not been outside in the high humidity, which I know is helping!

3pm......Time to go feed the little kitty feller...rub his butt and make him pee! How exciting! Oh yeah......this morning he had his first bowel movement.... a good sign! Hard to imagine such things give me a smile, but they do! Life is precious to a little kitty just like it is to us! Maybe they don't realize it...or maybe they do? He is fighting like crazy to keep what he has!

Regards!
06-28-2017, 01:32 PM   #37821
Veteran Member

Just got back from seeing a nurse practitioner myself, since the hearing in my only hearing ear wasn't hearing much at all.
I've had this happen before and prednisone fixed it, thought Mrs Bob could call them and just get me a prescription, but no, come on in.
Probably for the best though in case something else was going on this time.
Left there with a prescription for prednisone, so Brooke, our lab, and I will be on it at the same time.
Mrs Bob was on it a week ago for poison ivy, guess it's damn near a cure-all drug.

She drove, Mrs Bob that is, not Brooke, and it was an odd sensation, couldn't hear her Explorer running at all, felt like I was riding in an electric car.
06-28-2017, 02:20 PM   #37822
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
it was an odd sensation, couldn't hear her Explorer running at all, felt like I was riding in an electric car.
I have allergy attacks maybe 4-6 times a year...severe. Prednisone is the only cure I have found.....and I spent thousands on other drugs before I found it would stop an attack like nothing else. There is danger in too much of it too often.....but I have found it worth the risk, though I do seldom need to use it.

Didn't know of your hearing problem......I am well aware of hearing problems. Mrs Rupert spends almost all of her free time working with/for the deaf.
Most of them have never been able to hear a thing.....a world of silence. Their world is so different than ours Bob...in so many ways. The deaf have their own "culture" and are extremely "clannish"...if that is the right word? The don't trust many hearing people, and tend to exclude them from their lives. Mrs Rupert through her years of teaching and dedication has penetrated that barrier.
I hope you never lose all of your hearing, it is a blessing we tend to take for granted...like so many other blessings we have in abundance.

Regards!

BTW- How I discovered prednisone.....Maybe 10-12 years ago I had a severe allergy attack and all the drugs on hand had proven useless. Old Mr Kitty had an autoimmune disease and was on a regular regimen of prednisone. It kept him alive for an extra 5-6 years. So that day as I gave him his dose, I thought '''"what the hell...why not?" He was on 10mg and being a little larger than Mr Kitty, I figured I'd triple up my dosage......Within one hour all of my allergy symptoms were gone. I could not believe it.....a miracle! Been using it ever since, though my doc hates to prescribe it. I only use it for allergies when they occur.

Damn short Rupert Story!

06-28-2017, 02:48 PM - 4 Likes   #37823
Pentaxian

3pm......Time to go feed the little kitty feller...rub his butt and make him pee! How exciting! Oh yeah......this morning he had his first bowel movement.... a good sign! Hard to imagine such things give me a smile, but they do! Life is precious to a little kitty just like it is to us! Maybe they don't realize it...or maybe they do? He is fighting like crazy to keep what he has!

You are supposed to lick it like a mother cat. LOL.
Steve
06-28-2017, 03:00 PM   #37824
Veteran Member

Old Mr Kitty had an autoimmune disease
That's what Brooke has, it only affects her nose, the vet says it's a form of lupus, and there's no cure.
When I was on it before, my doctor told me that it would also relieve my arthritis pain, and he was right!

Hope everyone here is all cured or healed for the WIWBAK3 anniversary party in October.
06-28-2017, 03:01 PM   #37825
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
a spokesman for the ama was on npr awhile back...he said doctors practice the art of medicine...I thought medicine was a science
Doctors practice, art or science.

The good ones pay off their student loans.

The bad ones bury their mistakes.
06-28-2017, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #37826
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

BTW- How I discovered prednisone.....Maybe 10-12 years ago I had a severe allergy attack and all the drugs on hand had proven useless. Old Mr Kitty had an autoimmune disease and was on a regular regimen of prednisone. It kept him alive for an extra 5-6 years. So that day as I gave him his dose, I thought '''"what the hell...why not?" He was on 10mg and being a little larger than Mr Kitty, I figured I'd triple up my dosage......Within one hour all of my allergy symptoms were gone. I could not believe it.....a miracle! Been using it ever since, though my doc hates to prescribe it. I only use it for allergies when they occur.

Damn short Rupert Story!
They don't like prescribing it because some of the possible side effects are quite bad. But, it works!
06-28-2017, 03:27 PM - 4 Likes   #37827
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Artesian Quote

You are supposed to lick it like a mother cat. LOL.
Steve
I'll pay good money to see Rupert licking a pussycat.
06-28-2017, 03:39 PM - 2 Likes   #37828
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I won't need to.
I'm sure the mental image that conjured will stick with me for a very long time.
Thanks a lot, Mark.
06-28-2017, 03:48 PM - 4 Likes   #37829
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Mark, we've been tracking the websites you're visiting, and wondered if we could have a quiet word off-line? Thanks...
06-28-2017, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #37830
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Mark, we've been tracking the websites you're visiting, and wondered if we could have a quiet word off-line? Thanks...
Yeah, I know I'm strange. Here's one I visit often. Y-Block Head Casting Numbers