Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi-lok number breakdown.

It will always be in inches.

Forever.

Standards.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 07-11-2017 at 02:19 AM.
07-11-2017, 02:42 AM - 1 Like   #38327
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Hi-lok number breakdown.

It will always be in inches.

Forever.

Standards.
The next time I pass someone in the street with all kinds of junk in their ear, nose and lip piercings, I'll be sure to ask them what standards they comply with...
07-11-2017, 03:26 AM   #38328
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One thing that disappointed me greatly was when they hired me, and I was in the training period. I found out on the first day that they had never adopted the metric system, and likely never will.
Strangely, GM USA did, for a short while in the 80's.
07-11-2017, 03:38 AM   #38329
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One thing that disappointed me greatly was when they hired me, and I was in the training period. I found out on the first day that they had never adopted the metric system, and likely never will. One of those things that no one knows why, but it is so, and will forever continue to be.

I adopted the metric system back when I discovered Datsuns.
I continue to live in hope that the metric system is just a temporary aberration
the idea that an overarching concept would simplify life is just nuts or at best a sign of weakness

07-11-2017, 03:43 AM - 4 Likes   #38330
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
I continue to live in hope that the metric system is just a temporary aberration
the idea that an overarching concept would simplify life is just nuts or at best a sign of weakness
As someone who works with measurements and scaling of those measurements every day, I can't share your view. 1 in 100 is just immeasurably easier to deal with in my trade than 1 inch to 8 feet.
07-11-2017, 03:52 AM - 2 Likes   #38331
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One thing that disappointed me greatly was when they hired me, and I was in the training period. I found out on the first day that they had never adopted the metric system, and likely never will. One of those things that no one knows why, but it is so, and will forever continue to be.

I adopted the metric system back when I discovered Datsuns.
Datsun? Don't you mean Nissan?

Well congress passed and the president signed into law a bill mandating metric as the official measurement system of the US. This became effective January 1, 1880.

Kodak used a code called the CAMEROSITY code to stamp date of manufacture on it's products. Usually only month and year. It is a simple code where C=1 up to Y=0. It was stamped on just about any consumer equipment that they made. Om old Kodak lenses, the first two letters of the serial number will tell you what year it was made in. The British used the word CUMBERLAND for their lenses.

What I don't understand was why the world did not adopt Robertson head screws. Torx me off a bit. I tried calling the standards people about this, but they Philiped me off and told me to get my head on the straight and narrow. I was just trying to get a standard squared away.
07-11-2017, 04:02 AM   #38332
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
What I don't understand was why the world did not adopt Robertson head screws.
Here we call those "square drive" and they're pretty much the universal screw now. And so much easier to use than any other head type!

07-11-2017, 04:14 AM - 4 Likes   #38333
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
the universal screw
Come back here after a night's sleep and find dirty talk, tsk tsk
07-11-2017, 05:20 AM - 2 Likes   #38334
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm going to get overly excited it you post more fixings Racer! I have the smell of blued machine screws in my memory banks right now. Next we'll start on about metric and imperial threads and it's all downhill from there!!!
Don't leave out the discussion on the relative merits of the various configurations, either. Buttress, isometric, acme, square....
Ooh, I just got a bit of a shiver myself. I think I need a cigarette.
07-11-2017, 05:37 AM   #38335
Veteran Member

As someone who works with measurements and scaling of those measurements every day, I can't share your view. 1 in 100 is just immeasurably easier to deal with in my trade than 1 inch to 8 feet.
at a practical level I agree with you
however there is absolutely no romance in a meter unless it's related to poetry

I have always enjoyed the confusion of one mile versus the next one
it keeps a person's mind nimble and provides and unlimited supply of consternation to the masses

how will I ever find the north forty if it's metric?
07-11-2017, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #38336
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Mrs Bob's best friend only has "regular" tv, her friends call her Amish.
When i moved out i went to just an off air antennae. because of the way I face I only reliably get 6-7 stations. 90% of my watching is now streaming (Netflix and Amazon primarily) supplemented by downloads. I watch a lot more movies now

---------- Post added 11th Jul 2017 at 07:54 ----------

Here we call those "square drive" and they're pretty much the universal screw now. And so much easier to use than any other head type!
Robertson is the correct term named after the Canadian who invented them. Pretty universal here except on anything imported where they always seem to have a mix of philips and slot

Robertson Website - Home Page

Last edited by eddie1960; 07-11-2017 at 05:56 AM.
07-11-2017, 06:53 AM   #38337
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Metric is history....
EDITORIAL: End of the road for the metric system - Washington Times

In West Texas they put up dozens of new metric road signs. Most did not last the first day until they were blown to bits by irate shotgun toting cowboys. Metric makes sense to scientists....I assume......but few of us are scientists. I don't know a thing about metric...and never will. I'll never be mistaken for a scientist!

Regards!
07-11-2017, 07:33 AM - 2 Likes   #38338
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
When i moved out i went to just an off air antennae. because of the way I face I only reliably get 6-7 stations. 90% of my watching is now streaming (Netflix and Amazon primarily) supplemented by downloads. I watch a lot more movies now

---------- Post added 11th Jul 2017 at 07:54 ----------

Robertson is the correct term named after the Canadian who invented them. Pretty universal here except on anything imported where they always seem to have a mix of philips and slot

Robertson Website - Home Page
Robertson is becoming increasingly popular here.
As to the "slotted Philips" screws; slotted screws work fine with flat screwdrivers and Philips work fine with Philips. The combination slotted/Philips don't work worth a damn with either. The guy who came up with that idea should be tried for Crimes Against Humanity right along side of the genius that invented shag carpeting.
07-11-2017, 07:36 AM - 2 Likes   #38339
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I don't know a thing about metric
Me neither.
This morning I was practicing shooting hummers with my 11.811" lens.

07-11-2017, 07:42 AM - 3 Likes   #38340
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Robertson is becoming increasingly popular here.
As to the "slotted Philips" screws; slotted screws work fine with flat screwdrivers and Philips work fine with Philips. The combination slotted/Philips don't work worth a damn with either. The guy who came up with that idea should be tried for Crimes Against Humanity right along side of the genius that invented shag carpeting.
Robertson/square drive screws are great for high-torque, no-drill assembling

shag carpeting WAS one of greatest inventions ever!!!
I got my deposit back from at least three apartments because the damage was concealed by those fluffy fibers