Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2017, 08:36 AM - 4 Likes   #38536
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One of my favorite stories about Bill Jordan has to do with his involvement with Smith & Wesson in developing the Model 19. Jordan suggested a fully shrouded ejector rod. One of the Smith & Wesson people asked him why he thought it was necessary and he said something like "So the rod won't bend in case somebody accidentally bumps his head on my gun."

07-18-2017, 08:42 AM - 2 Likes   #38537
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
For those of you who are into that sort of thing, here's the formula for calculating the recoil energy of a firearm:

E = 1/2 (Wg / 32.17) (Wb x MV + 4700 x Wp / 7000 x Wg)²
Thanks, I was hoping for a math headache this morning.
07-18-2017, 08:49 AM - 2 Likes   #38538
Veteran Member

I always thought clint stole his squint

some of those old guys were characters, weren't they

they lived a different life (to be honest, not a life I would want)
they weren't heartless but life was pretty black and white to them

his model 19 was the perfect using revolver
a three bears design...not too big, not too heavy and not too uncomfortable to shoot....it was just right
07-18-2017, 10:07 AM   #38539
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
One of my favorite stories about Bill Jordan has to do with his involvement with Smith & Wesson in developing the Model 19. Jordan suggested a fully shrouded ejector rod. One of the Smith & Wesson people asked him why he thought it was necessary and he said something like "So the rod won't bend in case somebody accidentally bumps his head on my gun."
I've seen a video (or film, I guess) with Bill Jordan demonstrating quick-draw by balancing a pingpong ball on the back of his hand above his holster. Then dropping his hand to the gun, drawing it and letting the ball fall into the holster.

Then going on to explain how the hardest part of the trick is to not miss the holster with the ball. "So I cheat."...by holding his hand closer to the gun He ends up resting his hand on the gun, still managing to draw it before the ball reaches the holster.

07-18-2017, 11:13 AM - 4 Likes   #38540
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Thanks for the heads-up Jim.
Picked up one of those 2.5/lb cheesecake assortments last trip, still workin' on it, good stuff fer shure.

edit, and made salmon patties last night using a can of Aldi pink salmon, also good stuff.
Damn....I passed over one of those cheesecakes yesterday and cruised back around to re-check my decision three times. I was about to give in when a young lovely in some hot pants approached me and asked for help on the pizzas.......at which time I forgot all about the cheesecake. Gotta go back this afternoon......forgot sour cream for baked potatoes tonight.......maybe I'll get another chance at that cheesecake? I think I have a way to hide it from Mrs Rupert by covering with a pizza box on the lowest shelf.

Love the salmon patties! One of my very favorites! I have a recipe that is delicious using the Aldi Buttery Rounds crackers and corn meal.....along with the other ingredients. Found me a cookie cutter that makes perfectly round and even thickness patties.....so they not only taste great, they look great too!

I enjoyed the gun talk here until some guy came along and started the mathematical stuff and ruined it. Doesn't really matter anyhow, it is no comparison to "Aldi talk", cheesecakes or salmon patties....and for sure not to those Hot Pants...they were Hot Pink too!

Regards!

"I've heard some here want to be squirrels in their next life? You know, that's not a bad choice...sure works for me!"
07-18-2017, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #38541
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Thanks, I was hoping for a math headache this morning.
Glad I could help.
07-18-2017, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #38542
Veteran Member

My favorite pistol.

07-18-2017, 05:25 PM   #38543
Veteran Member

@robtcorl - Report on the coconut butterfly shrimp.....in case you haven't tried it. Not bad at all, Mrs Rupert really liked it. I still prefer the regular breaded version, but this was pretty good. The little packet of sauce that came with them was very delicious.....Might note that these have about all the saturated fat you need for several days....70% vs 16% for the regular breaded. For us bacon eaters, none of that is a serious problem anyhow. The shrimp itself is very excellent.

Regards!
07-18-2017, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #38544
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
one of the things you find out quickly with military firearms is that german weapons while beautifully made tend to be too complex
that said, I carried a walther pp for quite a while
Didn't think the Walthers or Mausers were complex?

If Elvis could have a Walther (inscribed 'Taking care of business') it couldn't have been too hard or delicate. (Iconic singer, mind, but unlikely to beat you in chess)
07-18-2017, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #38545
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
If Elvis could have a Walther (inscribed 'Taking care of business') it couldn't have been too hard or delicate. (Iconic singer, mind, but unlikely to beat you in chess)
Don't be cruel clackers.
07-18-2017, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #38546
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
@robtcorl - Report on the coconut butterfly shrimp
Thanks for the review, I'll give them a try after a pacemaker checkup.
I made banana nut muffins today with 99% of the ingredients purchased at Aldi.
Dinner tonight was a SPLT, (leftover) salmon patty, lettuce, and tomato sandwich with only the tomato coming from a different source, local.
Dessert was a muffin topped with peanut butter 'smores ice cream from you know where.
07-18-2017, 06:54 PM - 4 Likes   #38547
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I suppose the short barrel helps. That said, I'm sure I want to try it in .44 Mag.

...or try a .454 in that .45 barrel

(No, I do not in any way suggest that you or anyone else should try that!! "Bro, let's see what'll happen if I hold this hand grenade while it goes off...")

Hmm... Maybe time for a language lesson.

KLM Granatkasting - YouTube
There was a guy in the army with me who forgot to throw a hand grenade. Luckily for all it was a practice grenade, so detonator only, no explosive charge. Consequently he lost only three fingers on the hand and everyone else around him was OK. Still, not a mistake you want to make too often or it could make visits to the toilet difficult.
07-18-2017, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #38548
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Didn't think the Walthers or Mausers were complex?

compared to the colts I've used walthers and lugers required a much more circumspect exposure to dirt and grime
the Makarov and tokarev I used actually rattled in your hand but they always worked

so perhaps complex was a poor word choice...overbuilt...manufactured to too exacting tolerances...

just one point...superior intellect is not a requirement for gun ownership or use...I suppose I would be proof of that

chess and shooting are very different games
07-18-2017, 08:31 PM   #38549
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
WOW!!, My least 12 years at Kodak we didn't get a single raise. Although one guy I know got a $60 a year raise to make him equal to the others in his group.
In 3 more years I 'max out'.

By the union contract, after 6 years of employment, no matter where a person is in the wage progression (they don't always start everyone out at the base rate), they automatically bump to the top of the scale for their particular job classification. After that the only increases are whatever annual percentage is negotiated for cost of living increases (typically a fraction of the CPI for the region, runs 1% to 3%).

But.

Nearly all the pay grades max out at very good money.

Add on more overtime than many like to work, and the $$$$ add up quick.

The only kicker for me is I will max out about a year and a half from my 65th birthday. I would like to retire then, but if my body can still manage it, I may hang on one more year.

If they are still building airplanes in The World's Largest Building that is.
07-18-2017, 08:39 PM   #38550
Pentaxian

Hey Racer, did you express an interest recently about a recumbent bicycle? We have one we are trying to find a new home for...