Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108811 Likes Search this Thread
09-03-2017, 03:20 AM   #40066
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rechmbrs Quote
Mark,

Really special time for both of you. Now you have to figure out how to get her off of your payroll and being independent financially. It'll never happen as I've found. Daughter hands it off to the grandkids real quickly. I'm sure she was independent otherwise when she turned 13 or so. What a great experience having an adult daughter is.
You did something right!

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY.

RONC
Thank you RonC.

She's working toward a degree in Design so with luck she'll be off our payroll about 4 years from now, LOL.
We live in hope!

09-03-2017, 05:23 AM   #40067
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Thank you RonC.

She's working toward a degree in Design so with luck she'll be off our payroll about 4 years from now, LOL.
We live in hope!
Education gets a grace period as it increases potential of financial independence. It sounds kind of cold talking about this topic but it is one of best gifts you can give her. Fathers and daughters have a special bond not much discussed. As I've told mine, I changed yours when you were a baby you get to change mine when I'm old. "Oh dad" is the response.

Enjoy and grandkids are a ball.

RONC
09-03-2017, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #40068
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't want to get too philosophical, and certainly not argumentative, but education, in theory at least, is a significant contributor to equal opportunity. It cannot compensate for obscene disparities in wealth, but in a meritocracy it counts for a lot. Certainly if a young person does not have an education, many doors will automatically be closed.
09-03-2017, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #40069
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Don't want to get too philosophical, and certainly not argumentative, but education, in theory at least, is a significant contributor to equal opportunity. It cannot compensate for obscene disparities in wealth, but in a meritocracy it counts for a lot. Certainly if a young person does not have an education, many doors will automatically be closed.
My father in law taught at the university level. He was emphatic that the true goal of a 4-year degree is to train you to think. Learning the mechanics of a skill (whatever your degree area) was secondary and could be replicated by on the job training. Coming out of college you are compensated for the skill but over a lifetime it is your proven ability to think that determines your compensation. Oh and 'compensation' isn't always equated with 'money'.

09-03-2017, 06:54 AM   #40070
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
My daughter and I went for a beer today. Her being 18 and all and it being Fathers Day.
Awesome Mark.

So the drinking age is 18 there, eh?

Here it is 21. Although the age of responsibility is 18, and 18 is the age they can drag young people off to defend the nation. The way I see it, if a person is old enough get sent off to die for their country, then it should also be the age they are old enough to consume a good beer or glass of wine.

Oh, and happy Father's Day too. Here it is in June.
09-03-2017, 06:58 AM   #40071
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Certainly if a young person does not have an education, many doors will automatically be closed.
Having dropped out of high school twice, then dropped out of college to go to work before my peers had finished high school, I have had to kick down a few doors to gain access to good jobs.

Hey, it worked.
09-03-2017, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #40072
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Oh and 'compensation' isn't always equated with 'money'.
Exactly.

How a person feels at the end of the day may not pay the bills, but peace of mind for having done a job well pays in ways money cannot.

09-03-2017, 07:02 AM   #40073
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Does this look like the face of an insecure person?
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
We are not insecure, we just don't wear little dresses.....again, "not that there is anything wrong with it."
If that is your heritage then it is not your fault your ancestors drifted off to the feminine side a little.

Nope, I'm not getting that "insecure feeling" Bob.....I'd bet some serious cash a full body shot would not show any little girly skirt.

So what about this one Bob.......sensing any insecurities here?

My ancestors on my dominant side (my Mom) were Irish. They wore Farm Pants and were damn proud of it. I carry on that tradition to this day. Here is a pair learning the ways to become Farm Pants...they just got their first patch and hopefully, if Mrs Rupert doesn't get an opportunity to trash them, they will get many more patches in their long and eventful life!
Attachment 368639

Not picking on you Racer......we are what we are......and as you can plainly see, not only are me and Bob "non-skirt wearers"...we are both damn handsome too!

Regards!
So lack of respect for my ancestry is OK?
09-03-2017, 07:05 AM   #40074
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Awesome Mark.

So the drinking age is 18 there, eh?

Here it is 21. Although the age of responsibility is 18, and 18 is the age they can drag young people off to defend the nation. The way I see it, if a person is old enough get sent off to die for their country, then it should also be the age they are old enough to consume a good beer or glass of wine.

Oh, and happy Father's Day too. Here it is in June.

Racer, that was the politics of changing drinking to 18 in Australia, when there was some place called North Vietnam that was not behaving like our friend.
09-03-2017, 07:15 AM   #40075
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

How a person feels at the end of the day may not pay the bills, but peace of mind for having done a job well pays in ways money cannot.
True words and words to live by.

So lack of respect for my ancestry is OK?
Feeling a little insecure Racer? Maybe you can post your picture like we did and feel all better!

Regards!
09-03-2017, 07:28 AM   #40076
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Feeling a little insecure Racer?
Not the slightest bit insecure.

But quite offended by the lack of respect about my heritage.

Am I showing disrespect towards the ancestry of others?

Maybe you can post your picture like we did and feel all better!

My 1st grade school photo.

09-03-2017, 07:47 AM   #40077
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Am I showing disrespect towards the ancestry of others?
You questioned our security about our manhood.......we didn't have any!

My 1st grade school photo.
Filtered cigarette.....I smoked Camel and Lucky Strike in the 1st grade, but had no problem with filtered cigs....my girlfriends all smoked them.

Regards!
09-03-2017, 08:06 AM   #40078
Veteran Member

Awesome Mark. So the drinking age is 18 there, eh? Here it is 21. Although the age of responsibility is 18, and 18 is the age they can drag young people off to defend the nation. The way I see it, if a person is old enough get sent off to die for their country, then it should also be the age they are old enough to consume a good beer or glass of wine. Oh, and happy Father's Day too. Here it is in June.
Here's it's 19, I think. You can join the army (or airforce, or navy...) at 17 with parental consent. I've got a friend who was in the army in the late eighties, and as a lieutenant, he was still to young to drink. He would go to his troops and ask someone to hand him ID, then he would go to the bar with a private's ID.It's not liked they checked the photos.
09-03-2017, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #40079
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Although the age of responsibility is 18, and 18 is the age they can drag young people off to defend the nation. The way I see it, if a person is old enough get sent off to die for their country, then it should also be the age they are old enough to consume a good beer or glass of wine.
Is the draft back?
Anyway, in most cases, those 18 year olds who were "dragged off" can enjoy a beer on the military reservation.
09-03-2017, 08:13 AM - 2 Likes   #40080
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

You questioned our security about our manhood.......we didn't have any!
Nope. But I did notice the "Brokeback Mountain" moment you and Bob had back there

Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you!