Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2017, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #40486
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Ironic, isn't it? I doubt many of the current construction built by professionals will be standing 80 years from now. Not the residential structures, anyway.
depressing, really

one subdivision i'd done a lot of work in had delaminated siding and driveways that looked like gravel instead of concrete within five years of their construction
it wasn't as much the workers as the quality of the materials they were provided

a common refrain was...I wouldn't use this crap in my house

09-20-2017, 02:23 AM   #40487
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ironic, isn't it? I doubt many of the current construction built by professionals will be standing 80 years from now. Not the residential structures, anyway.
My house will last a millennia easily.

Concrete homes are best.
09-20-2017, 02:43 AM   #40488
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
depressing, really

one subdivision i'd done a lot of work in had delaminated siding and driveways that looked like gravel instead of concrete within five years of their construction
it wasn't as much the workers as the quality of the materials they were provided

09-20-2017, 04:22 AM   #40489
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
My house will last a millennia easily.

Concrete homes are best.
Concrete, cinder block, brick are great for storms, if you board up windows, but they are dangerous in an earthquake,
which can take place anywhere along the Pacific coast of the USA, although far less frequently off Oregon & Washington than along the California coast. The potential magnitude of quakes near Tacoma-Seattle are really outside of European experience. There is, however, good evidence of massive tsunami within the last few thousand years, indicating very powerful quakes centered just offshore.

09-20-2017, 05:22 AM   #40490
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
depressing, really

The apartment my son lived in before buying his house was new construction; 2 years old.
The front door had gaps around it and you could see daylight, there wasn't a square corner in the place, and his heat and AC bill was twice that of the house he has now and the house has nearly twice the square footage.
He was smart enough to buy a 50 year old house instead of a new one.
09-20-2017, 05:30 AM   #40491
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cheap flimsy houses with poor insulation, ill fitting windows and doors, only vague approximations of right angles or level floors/ceilings, unreliable plumbing and dangerous wiring have always been built, but those so constructed 50 or 100 years ago are not among the ones still available, or survive only in neighborhoods where none of us would consider living.
09-20-2017, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #40492
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
but those so constructed 50 or 100 years ago are not among the ones still available,
Most people, like myself, wouldn't be qualified to judge the build quality or structural integrity of a house beyond any glaring flaws. I think buying an older home is safer. A 10 year old house may not last another 10 years, but a 50 year old house will likely survive another 50.

09-20-2017, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #40493
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Most people, like myself, wouldn't be qualified to judge the build quality or structural integrity of a house beyond any glaring flaws. I think buying an older home is safer. A 10 year old house may not last another 10 years, but a 50 year old house will likely survive another 50.
My brother refurbished 3 homes all built in the late 1800's early 1900's. All he would say is that he is glad that they don't build houses the way they did in "The good old days". No regular spacing between uprights. If a 4 x 4 was used it must have meant that you could skip one 2 x 4 on either side of it etc. He had to custom cut almost every piece of insulation etc. All his homes have been on the country so who knew who built them, The barns were all top notch though.

My parents house was built in 1957. For their 40th wedding anniversary us kids all chipped in and had their house sided. After the siding job was done, the contractor wanted to know who built the house. It was the squarest two story house he had ever worked. He told my father that he could have made one measurements at the base of each wall and done all his work based upon that.
09-20-2017, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #40494
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Precisely my point. Houses still standing after 50 years are probably among those that were well built, just as some houses being built today are well constructed. But modern housing developments commonly put profit far above quality - thinnest possible press-board siding, nails that are like carpet tacks, roofing that will start to warp in five years. Unless you have very sharp eyes, have deep knowledge, or can hire a trustworthy person with both, it's all to easy to be deceived by something new and clean. From time to time I've discovered some of the cost-cutting that went into our home. Remember "popcorn" ceiling finish? (not one of our problems)
09-20-2017, 08:47 AM   #40495
Pentaxian

Concrete, cinder block, brick are great for storms, if you board up windows, but they are dangerous in an earthquake,
which can take place anywhere along the Pacific coast of the USA, although far less frequently off Oregon & Washington than along the California coast. The potential magnitude of quakes near Tacoma-Seattle are really outside of European experience. There is, however, good evidence of massive tsunami within the last few thousand years, indicating very powerful quakes centered just offshore.
Yes indeed. When the Cascadia lets loose, Seattle, Tacoma, Portland, and a lot of other towns are going to look like Mexico City. And that will be in addition to the tsunami zones that will be devastated. I just hope when it happens, it's during the summer and not another January event like in 1700. Warm-weather survival camping will be easier for the survivors.
09-20-2017, 09:18 AM - 2 Likes   #40496
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Defense of modern housing..... I agree that much of the housing being built today is based on cost cutting and cheap materials. However, being well acquainted with local building practices, there are a few....and it is a "few" that build genuine quality and do it without exception.
The market dictates quality and price..........Where I have seen problems is where buyers think they are seeing quality and value....when in fact, they are not.

Final Hospital Report? I hope so! Waiting for a sonogram and possible lung draining, and then, if it is not too late....out of here!

It has been an experience........came in knocking on death's door........will be leaving in much better but guarded condition. My life will be changing, at least in some areas and for some time. I'll take what I can get!
I've had a lot of hope and prayers from many......not least of all from all you guys....and it is greatly appreciated. My experience here should yield a few decent Rupert Stories..........so maybe it has all been worth it?

Best Regards!
Rupert
09-20-2017, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #40497
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

HOORAY! HOORAY! HOORAY! for Rupert now being on the road to recovery. The squirrels rejoice, the doves coo, the Pentaxians heave a sigh and give thanks (and mail some gift-wrapped Velveeta?).
09-20-2017, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #40498
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

and mail some gift-wrapped Velveeta?
Now, that is going too far! Besides, I have strong suspicion it was that stuff that hospitalised him in the first place

No, he should start eating healthily. I think bacon-wrapped bacon deep fried in bacon fat would be just the thing.
09-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #40499
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
My brother refurbished 3 homes all built in the late 1800's early 1900's. All he would say is that he is glad that they don't build houses the way they did in "The good old days". No regular spacing between uprights. If a 4 x 4 was used it must have meant that you could skip one 2 x 4 on either side of it etc. He had to custom cut almost every piece of insulation etc. All his homes have been on the country so who knew who built them, The barns were all top notch though.

My parents house was built in 1957. For their 40th wedding anniversary us kids all chipped in and had their house sided. After the siding job was done, the contractor wanted to know who built the house. It was the squarest two story house he had ever worked. He told my father that he could have made one measurements at the base of each wall and done all his work based upon that.
you never knew

I dropped a string from the attic to the box sill in the basement and had one location installed in under thirty minutes

same house thirty feet away I hit two fire stops on one floor and another on the next

I never trusted a ruler in old houses...walls on top of walls, pocket doors...just general chaos

the one thing I did learn was to always have a sharp prybar to pull away moldings and long, very fine bits to drill holes for telltales
it really cut down on holes in the middle of someone's floor or piano legs...don't ask...it is a story of Rupert proportions, though one I didn't do, just witnessed

I worked on a house whose first level was insulated with brick
a friend had a job on a ranch where the man of the house said...son, that drill ain't near long enough!...a soddie sided outside, plastered inside

the point is, you absolutely never knew for sure what you would find in older homes until you found it
09-20-2017, 01:06 PM   #40500
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

No, he should start eating healthily. I think bacon-wrapped bacon deep fried in bacon fat would be just the thing.
Now you're talking!