Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2017, 06:00 AM - 2 Likes   #40726
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Looking forward to it!

Although, as "interesting" as African buses and trains can be, none of my trips with any of those can hold a candle to flying with Air France (ptui!).

I now could need some Velveeta gratinated lutefisk to rinse out the bad taste left by that name
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
ha I had to go back over 1000 pages of posts to find that story. Funnily enough, Air France has always been an excellent flight for me (even with short time between flights) my wife has bad knees and for the longest time never took advantage of early boarding , still when returning from Venice through cdg with a tight delay they took us too the other end of terminal on a golf cart and we made it with minutes to spare, so did our luggage . I was impressed.
I haven't flown them lately as I stick to star alliance members for my air miles program. and now my wife happily uses the needs assistance option. we flew through CDG with her in a wheelchair that i pushed, .....long customs cattle pens...nop not for us boom right through, even longer security lines....once again nop bang on though. and board plane before the rest so lots of overhead luggage space. at the other end transport waiting to get us through as well. I would like her to get her issue fixed so we could walk further when we travel but damn i'd miss the special treatment
Engine Explodes on an Air France Plane, Forcing an Emergency Landing - The New York Times

10-01-2017, 06:07 AM   #40727
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I do fry canned biscuits for donuts.
Caramel icing made with butter, brown sugar, and powdered sugar.

since you have the technique and the dough...roll it flat, fry it, eat it
10-01-2017, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #40728
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Well, you can use only two at once. Last year we had to replace our refrigerator. The appliance store actually had a two and four slice Wolf toaster on display. The price floored me. The salesman said that since they carry Wolf appliances they have to carry all of them. He had never sold one of their toasters. The top one is what you usually see at hotels that offer continental breakfasts. They do take a pretty good beating.

I have always liked toast. But it has to have real butter on it. None of that other stuff.

I have real butter if I put anything like that on the toast. Usually I do not, put the jam straight on. Mrs Tim might have some butter (real) in the house for cooking.

We would never eat one of those imitations. The real thing or nothing.
10-01-2017, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #40729
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Also from the sergeant: "Sit at ATTENTION!"

And "eyes forward!"

10-01-2017, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #40730
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I don't recall ever smelling butter....but I have eaten a ton of it. For many years I would watch Monday night football with a large bag of Doritos and a full stick of lightly salted butter. Scraping a chip on the butter with each bite. Sometimes a 2nd stick of butter would be required. Mighty fine eating!

One football night a month I would get a half gallon of creamy vanilla ice cream, 2-3 cherry fried pies and some butter. I would heat the pies and cover with butter, drop one in the ice cream container and eat.....the 2nd half I would drop in another and finish it all off....what a treat!

Sometimes, you can just pick up a stick of real butter and take a big bite! The great taste will linger in your mouth for a long time!

Regards!

At your age you have probably eaten 2240 pounds of it. Or at least one of those short tons, as 2000pounds.
10-01-2017, 07:07 AM   #40731
Pentaxian

Looks like that engine will never be repaired.

Wonder which brand of engine.

Something similar happened to Qantas years ago.
10-01-2017, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #40732
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
And "eyes forward!"

Sorry, I left a letter out of the first word of the sergeant's command. ("h")

10-01-2017, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #40733
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Sorry, I left a letter out of the first word of the sergeant's command. ("h")
Sith? Sarge must have buck teeth.
10-01-2017, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #40734
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Sith? Sarge must have buck teeth.
Sith?

10-01-2017, 12:35 PM   #40735
Pentaxian

Looked it up with the help of Google.

AF have the 380 with GE and P&W engines. That is the minority engine on the 380. Most are Rollers.
10-01-2017, 01:29 PM   #40736
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Most are Rollers.
Would this be slang for Rolls Royce?
10-01-2017, 02:27 PM   #40737
Veteran Member

The great thing is that they got an emergency landing... All companies have problems at time... My mother was in a Iberia flight that go a problem too. The crew explaining how to brace yourself and prepare for the landing without landing gear. There were fire truck everywere on the landing strip...

But in the end, everything was fine.

Funilly planes are the safest public transports with lifts but all people worry so much about them.
10-01-2017, 07:37 PM - 1 Like   #40738
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Engine Explodes on an Air France Plane, Forcing an Emergency Landing - The New York Times
Looks like that engine will never be repaired.

Wonder which brand of engine.
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
My mother was in a Iberia flight that go a problem too. The crew explaining how to brace yourself and prepare for the landing without landing gear. There were fire truck everywere on the landing strip...

But in the end, everything was fine.
My internet has been out all day....phone too......most of the Cable TV channels were OK , but a few of them were out too. I worried all day that by not being here, you guys would forget me? So now that my internet is back.....I will share a Rupert Story (relating to bad plane experiences)...so you will know it is really me and not an impostor. Who would impersonate old Rupert...that is the scary part, they would have to be a very sick pervert and very squirrely to do such a thing....you think?

It was around 1975-76. I had been out to the Left Coast in the San Fran area....I was coming back to Texas on a week night....Tuesday.....and got a Red Eye flight out of Oakland back to DFW. Around 11pm .....as I recall. You boarded at Oakland on the tarmac with a roll-up ladder...it was a small airport back then. Perfectly clear and calm night, around 68 F and no crowds or lines.

As I boarded, I noticed how empty the plane was.....as I headed for the last seats by the engines (727) I passed an old Black lady who looked to be in her late 80s on my left sitting just above the wing area and about 6-8 rows behind her a young guy, maybe 18-20, with a backpack still strapped on his back...as I passed him I wisecracked that wearing his parachute was some smart thinking.

I settled in at the port side rear seat and had a hostess strapped in next to me and two in the last seat across the aisle.We were all talking ...... two of them were not on duty..just going home to Dallas for a few days off.

Normal take off...smooth and easy....of course, being next to the engines on a 727 is never the quietest spot. Just as we left the runway and gained altitude out over the bay, there was a loud popping...short of an explosion, but close. That was followed by severe and strong vibration and the girls were obviously concerned....me too! We banked sharp to the left, almost perpendicular it seemed and then leveled out over the bay. Just as we did there was another loud noise like the first one, followed by more vibrations and some flames shooting out of the right engine for just a few seconds.
The girls were just short of a full blown panic....the old Black woman was praying loud enough to hear from halfway up the aisle....and the kid was not in sight......crouched down in his seat??

The plane continued to shake and we banked to the left again as the altitude was dropping fast......I thought we were going down in the bay. In fact, the pilot was going back to the airport runway we had just left and in a couple of minutes we were there, safely back at the departure area. I had a chance to talk with the pilot and co-pilot...neither knew what the problem was, just that they lost two of three engines. They said we were fortunate that we had almost no load in passengers or cargo, or we could be swimming in the bay.

A couple of hours later we got another plane and went on our uneventful way back to Dallas with a few new passengers over what we had originally....I didn't see the old Black lady...my bet was she had taken a taxi to the Greyhound Bus station!

Fast forward a few weeks.....my cousin was an instrument mechanic for American for 30+years. I told him this story and he knew a lot of the mechanics at Delta DFW. He said he would ask around and find out what happened? Some time later he found that both of those engines had been serviced at Oakland prior to the plane being put in service that night. There was some kind of "cup" that held a special lubricant for the turbines, and they had failed to refill them after draining for replacement. They only serviced two of the three engines...so we did have one good engine with low hours on it.
Could have been a different story...but it all worked out for us. I never worried much about flying...but after that night I was more aware of strange noises or vibrations.

Regards!
10-01-2017, 09:41 PM   #40739
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Would this be slang for Rolls Royce?
Yes, based on the BMW product, where they had to buy the brand name in a subsequent deal because the company they bought was just the factory.
10-02-2017, 12:01 AM   #40740
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
My internet has been out all day....phone too......most of the Cable TV channels were OK , but a few of them were out too. I worried all day that by not being here, you guys would forget me? So now that my internet is back.....I will share a Rupert Story (relating to bad plane experiences)...so you will know it is really me and not an impostor. Who would impersonate old Rupert...that is the scary part, they would have to be a very sick pervert and very squirrely to do such a thing....you think?

It was around 1975-76. I had been out to the Left Coast in the San Fran area....I was coming back to Texas on a week night....Tuesday.....and got a Red Eye flight out of Oakland back to DFW. Around 11pm .....as I recall. You boarded at Oakland on the tarmac with a roll-up ladder...it was a small airport back then. Perfectly clear and calm night, around 68 F and no crowds or lines.

As I boarded, I noticed how empty the plane was.....as I headed for the last seats by the engines (727) I passed an old Black lady who looked to be in her late 80s on my left sitting just above the wing area and about 6-8 rows behind her a young guy, maybe 18-20, with a backpack still strapped on his back...as I passed him I wisecracked that wearing his parachute was some smart thinking.

I settled in at the port side rear seat and had a hostess strapped in next to me and two in the last seat across the aisle.We were all talking ...... two of them were not on duty..just going home to Dallas for a few days off.

Normal take off...smooth and easy....of course, being next to the engines on a 727 is never the quietest spot. Just as we left the runway and gained altitude out over the bay, there was a loud popping...short of an explosion, but close. That was followed by severe and strong vibration and the girls were obviously concerned....me too! We banked sharp to the left, almost perpendicular it seemed and then leveled out over the bay. Just as we did there was another loud noise like the first one, followed by more vibrations and some flames shooting out of the right engine for just a few seconds.
The girls were just short of a full blown panic....the old Black woman was praying loud enough to hear from halfway up the aisle....and the kid was not in sight......crouched down in his seat??

The plane continued to shake and we banked to the left again as the altitude was dropping fast......I thought we were going down in the bay. In fact, the pilot was going back to the airport runway we had just left and in a couple of minutes we were there, safely back at the departure area. I had a chance to talk with the pilot and co-pilot...neither knew what the problem was, just that they lost two of three engines. They said we were fortunate that we had almost no load in passengers or cargo, or we could be swimming in the bay.

A couple of hours later we got another plane and went on our uneventful way back to Dallas with a few new passengers over what we had originally....I didn't see the old Black lady...my bet was she had taken a taxi to the Greyhound Bus station!

Fast forward a few weeks.....my cousin was an instrument mechanic for American for 30+years. I told him this story and he knew a lot of the mechanics at Delta DFW. He said he would ask around and find out what happened? Some time later he found that both of those engines had been serviced at Oakland prior to the plane being put in service that night. There was some kind of "cup" that held a special lubricant for the turbines, and they had failed to refill them after draining for replacement. They only serviced two of the three engines...so we did have one good engine with low hours on it.
Could have been a different story...but it all worked out for us. I never worried much about flying...but after that night I was more aware of strange noises or vibrations.

Regards!
... Impressive. You were lucky too