10-02-2017, 04:48 AM   #40741
bxf
Veteran Member

What's a "K-3"?

10-02-2017, 06:12 AM - 3 Likes   #40742
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I worried all day that by not being here, you guys would forget me?
Rupert who?
10-02-2017, 06:33 AM   #40743
Veteran Member

I've only flown a hand full of times, it's not my favorite thing to do, especially nowadays.
First flight ever was on a float plane to a remote fishing lake in Canada, second was nonstop from St Louis to Honolulu on a 747.

We were fogged in the day the float plane was to pick us up, same the next day, but they have to move you out and drop off the next group.
The next morning one of their top bush pilots landed on our lake, we took off into the clouds of fog, but landed on another lake shortly afterwards.
The pilot asked Anyone have a knife? I handed him my Swiss Army, he used it on his headset saying he was having trouble hearing the tower back at HQ.
We took off again and flew back to HQ without further problems.
More exciting than scary for my second ever flight.
10-02-2017, 08:55 AM - 2 Likes   #40744
Veteran Member

Another sad day for humanity.

10-02-2017, 09:09 AM   #40745
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I've only flown a hand full of times, it's not my favorite thing to do, especially nowadays.
Used to be fun...used to be exciting. That was in my youth, and before we had the gigantic crowds and the TSA.

I've told this before....when I was 7 we bought a home about a mile from Love Field in Dallas.Our next door neighbor was a pilot for Braniff and a really nice guy too. He used to play football with me and my friends and taught us the rules of the game. He had two kids...a girl almost my age (She was the one I got in trouble with for "playing doctor"- but that's another story) and a boy that was just a toddler.

Braniff headquartered in Houston, and in summer months or whenever school was out, he would ask my Mom if I could fly with him to take a plane to Houston for service. Even way back then, my Mom jumped at a chance to get rid of me for a while so she was always thrilled to see me go. I just thought she was a great Mom...only years later did she tell me it wasn't quite like I thought....

Anyhow, I got to fly in all sorts of Braniff planes. In those days there was the pilot, co-pilot, and engineer. I got to sit right up front, often in the engineer or co-pilot seat. I learned a lot about how the planes operated and could see a lot of scenery below. This would all be unimaginable today, but back then it was no big deal. Rusty had a small private plane too, and it was fun but not like the big commercial planes.

Into the 60s and early 70s flying was not too bad....but afterward, it got crowded and started to be a real pain. Nowadays, nightmare is a better word.

Regards!
10-02-2017, 10:40 AM - 3 Likes   #40746
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Amen. A nation of hate and division cannot survive. Is this a personal failure that we see so often...or a collective failure of our society? What can be done? Don't want to edge into politics.......but this is a problem far beyond political affiliations, and it affects us all...any race, creed, or religion....we are all vulnerable equally.
10-02-2017, 10:46 AM   #40747
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Called family out there since some of them go to things like this. Thankfully the one who would decided not to go.

10-02-2017, 11:08 AM   #40748
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
What's a "K-3"?
Search me.

But I'm not gonna buy one.
10-02-2017, 12:37 PM - 4 Likes   #40749
Veteran Member

Last night's grilled, never boiled, spare ribs.

Last edited by robtcorl; 10-02-2017 at 01:57 PM. Reason: typo
10-02-2017, 12:38 PM   #40750
Pentaxian

That sad news was on the radio while I was driving home. I told my wife at home and she could not believe it, and could not believe that it was not a terror event.
10-02-2017, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #40751
Pentaxian

Lat night's grilled, never boiled, spare ribs.

Looks good. A long time since I have had them quite like that. My wife has started cooking pork ribs, roasted and seasoned with cumin seeds. That is pretty good.

She also likes to cook belly pork with pickled mustard greens. That is good too.

And another good dish is basil, ginger, rice wine, a little chili, and one of duck, chicken or sea snails. That one is exceptional.
10-02-2017, 01:19 PM   #40752
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Looks good. A long time since I have had them quite like that. My wife has started cooking pork ribs, roasted and seasoned with cumin seeds. That is pretty good.

She also likes to cook belly pork with pickled mustard greens. That is good too.

And another good dish is basil, ginger, rice wine, a little chili, and one of duck, chicken or sea snails. That one is exceptional.
while i'm not sure about cumin as the single spice on the road to pork nirvana, you are lucky indeed to live with someone who uses the whole seed instead of ground

the substitution of mustard greens...cooked or raw...make for an marked improvement in any spinach based dish...even as a garnish on sandwiches

since I touched the other two points you can add pork and fish to the ginger and chili concoction...while beef tastes good in the mix, its flavor is too bold when it should just sit and go along for the ride
10-02-2017, 02:53 PM   #40753
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On our news this morning. Very strange. Apparently the shooter was a multimillionaire. I find that odd.
10-02-2017, 03:30 PM   #40754
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pretty messed up. We all should pack!
10-02-2017, 04:48 PM   #40755
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Pretty messed up. We all should pack!
All the packing in the world would not have helped. He was shooting from the 32nd floor.