Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
are radials always odd numbered?
Sort of.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
Usually yes, where you see an even number of cylinders on a radial engine it is made up of two (or more) banks of cylinders with an odd number of cylinders per bank.
Some radials were diesel 2 strokes. They had an even number of cylinders.

It's all about the ignition timing, the power of one cylinder aiding the compression stroke of the next one up and a smoother running engine.

Those old multi row radials are awesome to see running in person. Even more fun to ride in a plane fitted with them. Even more fun to actually fly an airplane fitted with two Wright R-2600 Twin Cyclone engines. During the runup they look like they're about to tear themselves off the wings. On the takeoff roll they pull very hard.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 10-14-2017 at 11:56 PM.
10-14-2017, 11:45 PM   #41117
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Nice picture of the Z!
Thank you!
10-14-2017, 11:52 PM - 1 Like   #41118
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . . . . . . I have been neglecting a pound of Bacon in the fridge that needs to be cooked.
For shame.

If I was a m0derat0r I'd ban you from this thread.

Oh, wait.

Never mind.

Get back to the bacon.
10-15-2017, 03:16 AM - 2 Likes   #41119
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
One could cook Bacon or sear steaks on top of the exhaust shroud! That is if you don't mind taste of kerosene
(Laughs) In Australia, our Abrams burn diesel.

The British put inline aircraft engines in their tanks like the Cromwell. It and the postwar Centurion basically have Rolls-Royce Merlins.

Some Jay Leno hyperbole:

10-15-2017, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #41120
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
(Laughs) In Australia, our Abrams burn diesel.
Kerosene, as well as jet fuel, are just more highly refined diesel.
10-15-2017, 04:25 AM - 2 Likes   #41121
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Kerosene, as well as jet fuel, are just more highly refined diesel.
Coal oil ......often called kerosene. Are Coal Oil and Kerosene Oil the Same Thing? | Bumgarner Oil

When I was a kid my aunt Bessie kept several gallons of coal oil on hand for medicinal purposes. It had a very similar, but slightly different smell than kerosene, and supposedly had miracle curative powers. When I was 13 and visiting my uncle and aunt Bessie on their farm, I went swimming on the river at the "old blue hole". Got snake bit when I jumped in from a big overhanging rock without looking first and landed on a watermoccasin/cottonmouth. It was a half mile back up to the farm house and my ankle/leg was badly swollen by the time I got back there. Bessie got out a 5 gallon bucket and filled it half full of coal oil......I sat in a chair and soaked it all day and half the night. Turned black and blue.....was swollen twice its size and hurt like hell....nausea and hot/cold flashes....dizziness and headache.......even peed in my pants a time or two....but I got over it in a couple of days with only a reminder from the blackness that remained for weeks. Coal oil...keep some handy!

Regards!
10-15-2017, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #41122
Pentaxian

Coal oil

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Coal oil ......often called kerosene. Are Coal Oil and Kerosene Oil the Same Thing? | Bumgarner Oil

When I was a kid my aunt Bessie kept several gallons of coal oil on hand for medicinal purposes. It had a very similar, but slightly different smell than kerosene, and supposedly had miracle curative powers. When I was 13 and visiting my uncle and aunt Bessie on their farm, I went swimming on the river at the "old blue hole". Got snake bit when I jumped in from a big overhanging rock without looking first and landed on a watermoccasin/cottonmouth. It was a half mile back up to the farm house and my ankle/leg was badly swollen by the time I got back there. Bessie got out a 5 gallon bucket and filled it half full of coal oil......I sat in a chair and soaked it all day and half the night. Turned black and blue.....was swollen twice its size and hurt like hell....nausea and hot/cold flashes....dizziness and headache.......even peed in my pants a time or two....but I got over it in a couple of days with only a reminder from the blackness that remained for weeks. Coal oil...keep some handy!

Regards!
Yep,
My Uncle Willie lived on a farm/ranch and always had some in the house. He put it on my black widow spider bite. It also turned black and swelled up. After a few days the swelling went down and after a week or so it was fine. I have been bitten by a recluse and the same thing happened. Didn't have any coal oil so used anti inflammatory ointment. I guess it helped but it left a black hole in my leg. Just rotted the skin away. Took a little longer to heal. Guess I need to get me some of that coal oil.
Steve

10-15-2017, 06:05 AM - 5 Likes   #41123
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Be careful what you wish for.

Attached Images

10-15-2017, 06:17 AM - 3 Likes   #41124
Veteran Member

I was a toddler when dad came home from work and saw me drink from a jar of kerosene used for our heating stove.
He grabbed a blanket, wrapped me in it and headed for the doctor.
I started throwing up on the way, the doctor said it's what saved my life.
Then there was the time I was bitten by a rabid dog and had to get the shots.
Another close call was a duck hunt that could have easily taken not only my life, but also the lives of my brother and nephew. I'll post that story one of these days.
Getting a pacemaker in 2003 has kept me alive since then, and getting a cancerous prostate removed in 2011 has no doubt added a few years too.
Like Rupert said, you just never know, so be thankful for the time you have.

On a lighter note, I just had eggs, bacon, fried potatoes, and toast for breakfast, and I feel fine!
10-15-2017, 07:28 AM   #41125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Artesian Quote
Yep,
My Uncle Willie lived on a farm/ranch and always had some in the house. He put it on my black widow spider bite. It also turned black and swelled up. After a few days the swelling went down and after a week or so it was fine. I have been bitten by a recluse and the same thing happened. Didn't have any coal oil so used anti inflammatory ointment. I guess it helped but it left a black hole in my leg. Just rotted the skin away. Took a little longer to heal. Guess I need to get me some of that coal oil.
Steve
just coming out of several weeks of unpleasantness like that...doctor's advice...Benadryl...immediately!
then the doctor

the necrosis is inevitable...it is just a matter of how bad...that is the primary effect of the spider's toxin
the secondary problem is most potent spider bites also introduce staph into the equation and instead of making ugly scars can kill you

I didn't die (obviously) but I couple of days there it would have been easier

---------- Post added 10-15-17 at 07:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
no joke!

I have been telling myself that as long as I've had a fully functioning intelligence
so after thirty or so years I find myself not listening again...crap!

reemergence of adolescence?
like telling myself that white hair is the same as being blond again?
10-15-2017, 08:08 AM - 2 Likes   #41126
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
For lunch I did not have bacon.

But what I did eat was hog roast. Don't get a chance for that very often. But it is good when I do have it.

This is not because I am a bacon hater, just that the victuals offered today were a different way of cooking the same porcine type of supplier of meat. (Meat - NOTE: processed grass for the vegetarians.)
10-15-2017, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #41127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
For lunch I did not have bacon.

But what I did eat was hog roast. Don't get a chance for that very often. But it is good when I do have it.

This is not because I am a bacon hater, just that the victuals offered today were a different way of cooking the same porcine type of supplier of meat. (Meat - NOTE: processed grass for the vegetarians.)
quite clever
I will pass that on to my son who has become horrified of eating dead animals

oh the horror
the screaming and lamentations of Brussel sprouts being cut from their stalk
nobody really likes those darn sprouts
perhaps in their next life they'll come back as a vegan

oops...may be I went too far
10-15-2017, 08:33 AM - 4 Likes   #41128
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Support PETA

People Eating Tasty Animals
10-15-2017, 10:16 AM   #41129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Like Rupert said, you just never know, so be thankful for the time you have.
Yep, how many times do we come so close to death and realize it.......compared to how many times we come even closer to death and don't?

Got a Rupert story like that...so damn close and I didn't realize it....and then I did.....it will open your eyes when that happens...and you won't need a pacemaker, your heart will race like crazy!

No bacon/sausage and eggs with waffles this morning.....Mrs Rupert was running late for Church so I had cereal with bananas. With the new adjustable bed/frame/mattress/remote control.....sleeping hard and fast...and over sleeping! Spent all day Friday with my helper Kat putting it all together and modifying the bedroom platform where it goes. In my better days a two hour job...at most. Had to stop every few minutes for a dose of oxygen and to catch my breath....but the bottom line is we 'got 'er done"!

Regards!
10-15-2017, 10:40 AM   #41130
Veteran Member

finally gave up on a bed when I had the p-word
slept in the recliner

the upside I could breathe and my back quit hurting
the downside nothing warm and cuddly next to me...then one morning I found the two dogs burrowed under the blanket with me
I took it to mean I wasn't a total dick...my wife said I was just really warm